Thoughts? Note 5 and S6 Edge +

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
They look nice but I have a Note 4. I don't see any reason to upgrade from the rumors I've seen swimming around.

Sent from the Elegance

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
No reason to upgrade to be honest.

Sure Exynos 7420 is nice (was expecting 7422) and UFS 2.0.. But I'm not ready to drop off a phone for now, plus I'm afraid of the bad software support like the Note 4.

We'll see how things go.

iamdld

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Agreed with previous posters. No reason to upgrade but I do hope Note 4 users get the updated version of touch wiz and some point.

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Neither of those impress me. Lollipop has killed every Note that anyone I know directly has. Wife has the S6 Edge and it is a joke from overheating to horrid lag.

Moto X Style it will be for me.

-Shawn
Noting the world one S-Pen at a time

slackerjack

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
It looks like a less interesting version of the phone J already have. Like...seriously, I think I'm going to go buy another Note 4 so I can replace my current one if it breaks...Sammy's new "me too" approach to phone design isn't that interesting...

Posted via the Android Central App

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I love phones that can break on the front and back when dropped. The edge can break on all 4 sides, yahoo! And the edge screens are so cheap to replace.

Neither impress me. When upgrade times come I will be moving on from Samsung. I left Apple years ago because of their price gouging for little memory increases. Have zero interest in supporting Samsung for doing the same thing.

I don't need high speed memory for my pictures, videos and media files. Zero interest in streaming, why use data to download the media I already own.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Really, I don't find anything special on these 2.

The Note is the one I like the most since I don't really find anything special on the S6E+ other than it being oversized.

Sad that there will be no Note Edge 2 this year. I actually liked the edged screen.

Last edited:

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I think for those with a Note 4, it may not be worth the upgrade, but I don't think its a downgrade from the Note 4 either

Ram
I have a device with 3GB of ram (S6) and a device with 4GB of ram (Asus Zenfone 2), and the difference in performance is quite noticeable. Yes its true they have different OS but you can tell the 4GB works much better especially when opening a bunch of apps. I use my Zenfone 2 mainly for games, and was able to run Tomb Raider and Asphalt with no lag at all. In my experience, 4GB is noticeably better than 3GB

Processor
As for the Qualcomm v. Exynos, the benchmarks show that the Exynos performs much better than Qualcomm. Qualcomm even has its own issues with overheating, which they may or may not have fixed. I think the Note 5 will have much better performance than the Note 4

Ultimately, I see it as an upgrade from the Note 4, even if not by much
- Better Camera (Same as S6, which performed better than the Note 4)
- Bigger Ram
- Likely longer battery life with the Exynos processor
- Likely enhanced S-Pen
- Exynos benchmarks much better than Qualcomm

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I'll wait until its officially announced before deciding whether it could be better or not. Everything, as of now, is just rumors.

from the Elegance

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Droid Life is reporting the Note 5 will have a sealed/embedded 3000mAh battery. Yikes! :eek: Good luck with that if you're a power user. :(
Samsung may not keep/entice a lot of existing Note owners with this refresh but perhaps they'll attract some new owners if the phone is pretty/handsome.

from the Elegance

TurboHope

Apr 27, 2015
Visit site
If you trade in a note 4 or any s6 for a not 5 or a edge + your dumb, there i said it. But if you are in the market for a new phone, these ate some nice options. I don't understand though why they would get rid of the removable battery and memory card with the note stores....maybe they are dumb too??

Posted via the Android Central App

edepot

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually went and tried out the S6. I have a Note 4. The S6 looks real solid (trying to imitate Apple). But yes, the non MicroSD is a real killer. If it weren't for the missing MicroSD (I don't actually care about replaceable battery) I would have considered upgrading my Note 4 for hobby purposes. But looks like I will go full Apple iPhone next upgrade cycle. If they don't put back the MicroSD in future models, this will be the only Samsung phone I have (Note 4 Duos).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang