When my battery hits 40, it's done for the night, is anyone else experiencing this?

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
When my battery hits 40%, it's done for the night

Since the Lollipop upgrade a few weeks ago, my N4 has been acting up. As I mentioned in the thread title, when the phone hits 40%, the screen goes blank. When I hit the power button, an icon appears (power outlet and cord with a "0%"). When I plug it in, it appears to charge normally, but quickly goes from single digit power to 30+%. It's like the phone no longer recognizes the bottom third of my battery life.

I'm desperately trying not to do a factory reset. I've deleted the cache partition as suggested in the sticky threads, but nothing has changed. This sucks. It reminds me of the abysmal battery performance I got from my old HTC Thunderbolt.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Is there a fix? Thanks.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: When my battery hits 40%, it's done for the night

Sounds like a dendrite (see Lithium Battery Dendrite links). Nothing you can do but replace the battery. (It's not something the manufacturer can control, it's just part of how lithium batteries work - some of them throw dendrites after a while.)

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I'd never heard of dendrites before. Thank you. I'll head out and pick up a replacement today.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

If you're buying from Amazon, add a universal charger (so you can not only charge a battery outside the phone, but most of them do a precharge as well, if you kill the battery completely), and add a few other things that you really need, to bring the bill up to the free shipping point (unless you're a Plus member).

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site

I believe lollipop is the issue. If you aren't against it, and are still able to, downgrade back to kit kat and see if the issue still exists. I am gonna bet that it will be gone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

I ordered a replacement battery through a VZW store that day. None of the stores I went to had one in stock. I did find one (as mentioned earlier in the thread) with a stand-alone charger at a Samsung Customer Service Center, but didn't think I needed the charger for an extra $30. It remains to be seen if I'll regret that decision.

Anyway, I've run my phone down considerably past 40% a couple of times from full charge and the problem did not manifest itself. At this point, a dendritic battery seems to have been the issue. Unless I report back, I think we can close the book on my specific problem. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

goin_nil

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site

I ordered a replacement battery through a VZW store that day. None of the stores I went to had one in stock. I did find one (as mentioned earlier in the thread) with a stand-alone charger at a Samsung Customer Service Center, but didn't think I needed the charger for an extra $30. It remains to be seen if I'll regret that decision.

Anyway, I've run my phone down considerably past 40% a couple of times from full charge and the problem did not manifest itself. At this point, a dendritic battery seems to have been the issue. Unless I report back, I think we can close the book on my specific problem. Hope this helps someone else down the road.

Glad that a new battery worked.

You could also place the old battery flat on a flat table. Then push firmly on both long edges alternating pressure between each side (trying to rock it).

Turn it over and do the same thing to the other side.

If it wobbles at all, you have a blown cell and would explain why it does not last as long.

If it does not wobble, then it could be the dendrite build up as you suggest.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site

So it wasn't the fault of Lollipop then? Seems to be blamed for a lot of issues when it isn't.

Posted via a kicking Note4 on Lollipop.

Hickory Shampoo

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Bumping this thread with an update. Sure enough, the same phenomenon manifested itself again. I took my phone to the big Verizon store here in Houston (one of their new mega super fancy units with all the bells and whistles), where a VZW clerk looked at it (and I don't mean anything more than observed it in his hand; there was no in-depth examination). I ran down the symptoms to him as I did in the original post. He flipped through a couple of screens and determined it was an issue that could only be solved by replacing it.

Fine. I'm sure that's the cost-effective way of handling it, but I'd much rather they had a tech in-house that could do more than chew his fingernails at it. Setting up a new phone is only fun when it's a new gadget. When you're essentially re-jiggering the same phone, it's a hassle.

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

I was just having the same problem.
My Note would cut off at 30%.
I had to recalibrate the battery stats on the phone.

This is how you do it. (Non Rooted)

1. Drain phone until it cuts off on its own.

2. Restart phone and let it cut off again. (If it keeps restarting pull the battery.)

3. Plug in charger with the phone off and wait for the green battery with the percentage. If it's not at 0% unplug and Power On again. Repeat steps 1-3 until green battery reads 0%. (Adaptive Fast Charge off.)

4. Once green battery reaches 0% let the phone charge to 100% while off.

5. Done.

Galaxy Note 4 {Sprint 5.1.1}

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site

that recalibration didn't work for me. my phone would go from like 25 to 12 then to dead within 1 minute. I just got a new battery so let's see what happens...

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
that recalibration didn't work for me. my phone would go from like 25 to 12 then to dead within 1 minute. I just got a new battery so let's see what happens...

Did you follow the steps.
It sounds like you only checked the green battery once and left it on the charger for a bit.

For it to work you check the green battery and unplug right away if it's not at (0). Then restart the phone and let it cut off until the green battery reaches (0). Then charge to (100%).

Too many people have PM'd me saying that it doesn't work. I have walked them through it to show them that it does. You have to read the instructions and follow them.
*( If it doesn't go to 0 then redo steps 1 thru 3, sound familiar?)

Galaxy Note 4 {Sprint 5.1.1}

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress