I hate waking up to Note 4 poor battery life

gorgalis

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
hate waking up to this kind of thing.

Posted via the Android Central App
Probably not a popular thing to do, but I turned off Google Now. I really liked using it and miss setting reminders, but it has doubled my battery life.

Download wakelock detector and see what is waking your phone.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

piinkRainbowz

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thats poor. You shouldnt wake up to a battery thats half dead. I would try looking for apps that could possibly keeping the phone awake. Do a cache clean. Hell if you have to do a factory reset. I always notice that after i do a reset on my phone my battery improves alot. Then from there i go in a manually add all the apps i know i would actually use and watch it.

You may need to look into using an alternative app if an app you uses causes your battery to drain like that. Also after you charged it try disabling all of the radios you arent using. Turn off wifi and Bluetooth. Hell just put it in airplane mode or just ultra powersaving. You will definitely wake up to a full battery then when you us UPSM.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

AlexMarie15

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
I've been having battery issues since updating to lollipop and it was so bad I thought about just getting a new phone, but I truly do love this phone even with its annoying lags and "quirks". Anyway, I'm a server and I usually completely turn everything off except my mobile service so I can get texts or whatever if they come in during my shifts. But even with doing that my battery was draining significantly even if I had absolutely no notifications for 5 hours. So I decided to just put it in airplane mode for the majority of my shift and as the night dies down then I'll turn back on my signals to get whatever may have been " blocked".

Tonight I had airplane mode on for my busy hours and around 9-10ish I turned it off. Basically I'm realizing that the biggest battery hog in lollipop for me is T-Mobile's crappy signals at my job. I went from 91% in airplane mode for about 3-4 hours to 84% within an hour and that was with nothing I know of running in the background.

Also, when my battery would die overnight if I didn't have it on the charger I either had fell asleep on top of it (I'm an *****) or I had fell asleep with YouTube running or some similar battery draining app. I have left it off the charger overnight and woken up to pretty good standby percentage and that was within the last week or so. I think my habits are the true cause of my battery drain... And T-Mobile's ridiculous mobile service.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
It happened again! lol!
Idk what the deal is here. Factory resetting isn't an option because I have around 200 apps installed and going through them all over again and setting them up is going to be a pain. I installed Greenify it seems to have helped but I guess not last night. I can maybe pinpoint this - I turned the 'keep wifi awake signal' to 'only when plugged in.' idk, something is really messing with my phone and I wish I knew what it was :-(. does anyone know any good wakelock detector apps that are easy to use and manage? I tried to use this one app a while ago but it was very convoluted so I just gave up... I am subscribing to this thread so I'll see your guys' replies... hopefully this gets fixed soon as hm, waking up turning the power button on does nothing - Oh yeah cuz my phone is dead LOL, thank goodness for quick charge, I gtg in about 20 minutes!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-20-06-57-24.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-20-06-57-24.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_2015-08-20-06-57-37.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-20-06-57-37.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 39

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Other than greenify what else have you done?

Are you rooted with custom recovery? Sounds like you are. If so then reboot and wipe dalvic cache and cache. If not, reboot and wipe cache. These suggestions were given before but you haven't noted that you have done it so...

Also, how is Google Now set up? Do you have voice detection set to always listen?

Lastly... There's arguably nothing wrong with leaving the phone on the charger overnight... Just saying.. Sure sure, keeping the battery at max for prolonged periods can be detrimental but so is frequent deep cycling and at the end of the day we are talking about a replaceable battery that one can buy for $12.50 (amazon, anker 2 pack with a charger for $25).

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
"Android System" is pulling quite a lot. That can be many things, but often boils down to an SD card with a bad file on it that the system is trying to index and failing, then it repeats. If you have an SD card on board, pull it and leave it off for a night and see if that helps out.

Also, as others have said (and I realize this does not solve your actual battery drain), there is no harm done in leaving a Note 4 on the charger overnight. Yes, it will shorten the life of your battery by a tiny amount, maybe. But for $20 you can get a replacement battery. Use the device in the way that wuits your needs the best, and don't worry about babying the battery on a unit where it can be swapped out.

ericmazariegos

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Other than greenify what else have you done?

Are you rooted with custom recovery? Sounds like you are. If so then reboot and wipe dalvic cache and cache. If not, reboot and wipe cache. These suggestions were given before but you haven't noted that you have done it so...

Also, how is Google Now set up? Do you have voice detection set to always listen?

Lastly... There's arguably nothing wrong with leaving the phone on the charger overnight... Just saying.. Sure sure, keeping the battery at max for prolonged periods can be detrimental but so is frequent deep cycling and at the end of the day we are talking about a replaceable battery that one can buy for $12.50 (amazon, anker 2 pack with a charger for $25).

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

thanks for the reply but no I'm not rooted, let alone have a custom recovery on my device. Also, I don't leave phone charging overnight because the phone usually has good battery life. besides, what difference would it make between having battery drain at night vs having battery drain during the day... the problem is still there. I installed Better Battery manager or something like that, and it has been running since shortly after I posted this morning. we'll see what app is to blame! edit:no i do not have always listening turned on for Google now. I also tried disabling google. now in the past but it had no noticeable benefit to battery life

as to the post above regarding the SD card... i might try that, but doing so requires me turning my phone on and off, which may fix the issue in and of itself, which would lead me to belive the problem lied with the memory card instead of something on the phone internally. (I've had an SD card since the first day I had this phone and never thought it could contribute to poor battery life, but that chance seems so minimal so I'm not gonna do it just yet). we'll see what the wakelock app shows.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
as to the post above regarding the SD card... i might try that, but doing so requires me turning my phone on and off, which may fix the issue in and of itself, which would lead me to belive the problem lied with the memory card instead of something on the phone internally.

Fair enough. Before removing the SD card, then, I'd try restarting. That way, if the problem persists, you know that whatever the problem is, it is surviving reboots. Then if the SD card removal works, you know the problem. If the SD card removal does not work, then you know it's something that survives reboots and is not the SD card.

(I've had an SD card since the first day I had this phone and never thought it could contribute to poor battery life, but that chance seems so minimal so I'm not gonna do it just yet

SD cards go bad, and files get corrupted for other reasons. I'm not saying it *is* the problem, only that seeing that task so high often turns out to be a bad file on an SD card (or, less often, a bad SD card) when it comes up here as an issue.

However, it's a perfectly reasonable approach to isolate everything else first. Especially if you have a bunch of apps moved to the SD card or something, because removing that SD card will cause many other problems in that case.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
As far as the charging overnight part is concerned yeah I get it, but our comments in that regard are purely based upon the title of this thread nothing more. Fact of the matter is leaving off charger overnight is the BEST way to determine standby drain, especially on wifi.

Despite not having root you can still clear cache in stock recovery and that may resolve your issue. I've observed times when updates to Google Services or other apps have caused issues and a reboot or clear cache will resolve that. Your top 4 battery usage indicators are Google/Android related so its possible things will clear up with a reboot/cache clear. IMO it's unimportant to pinpoint exactly what update caused a wakelock that's resolved by a reboot or cache clear.

Video guide i found on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Dq4jyefwM

Also, please note that some battery monitoring software will place wakelocks/alarms on the system so that the monitoring can take place. It is generally not recommended to keep them running all the time, just use them to figure out where your drain is and once you're done then uninstall them.