Lock screen issues with 5.1.1 Fingerprint/Trusted Devices.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Ok, ever since my Sprint Note 4 received the 5.1.1 update, i'm having very odd and random lock screen issues.

I have always used the fingerprint security. The phone is what, about a year old now since release? Never had issues. Now with 5.1.1, sometimes the fingerprint scanner doesn't work. The only way I can unlock the phone is with my backup password. One night I was locked out for 40 minutes as the phone was just freaking out.

I believe the issue has started with me enabling trusted devices recently. I am wondering if anyone else is having similar issues with their lock screen and using trusted devices or the fingerprint scanner, or both (as I am)?

I guess I should try disabling trusted devices and see if the issue pops up again. :-\

Ntchwaidumela

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So, did you disable Trusted Devices? If so, did that solve the problem? You also might want to Clear Cache Partition. I've always done that after an OS update and haven't had any problems afterwards.

AlyarbankHQZ

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I have similar problems with my note 4. After the 5.1.1 update I noticed the screen rotation was erratic in some apps. Then the Fingerprint scanner and the Backup Password failed (Password was correct). I did a factory reset/wipe and it seemed ok afterward. Then the same sort of rotation problem, but now the behavior is different. It will not recognize my print to unlock the screen but the backup password will unlock the screen, but will not work to access the Fingerprint scanner settings!. Samsung is really screwing up lately. I just got through waiting 7 weeks for an update to fix the last 5.0.2 for my note pro 12.2. I sure hope they fix this quick. The problem has to do with secure storage for the Fingerprint Scanner and Security settings. The interface is corrupt and doesn't send reliable data strings.

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I gave up trying to use the fingerprint to unlock long ago as it only worked about 10% of the time. Tried it again after Lollipop but same dismal results. Now I have the Gear 2 Neo smart watch and it handles my phone unlocking quite well.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Shamrock_627

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I get similar results. I can turn on display, but it doesnt come on for like 5 seconds. Then I can click on an app, and entire OS will crash, booting me out to lock screen.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
I posted in a few other threads about lock screen issues, but for me it was the fact that alongside the 5.1.1 update, smart stay got turned on. This caused all sorts of issues that I noted above. Turning it off has eliminated all the issues.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if you meant Smart Stay or Smart lock, either way both are off on mine, and I did clear Cache before and after the Factory reset,and nothing helps. Maybe it's time to root and go back to KitKat.

wricu01

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue as mentioned above this 5.1.1 is unstable me and my son are having issues my phone was fine till this update reset doesn't help. I hope the fix this soon

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
Just to find a common denominator with people that still have this issue:

Phone carrier - Sprint
Version - 5.1.1
Launcher - Nova
Lock screen - Fingerprint.
SD card - Yes

Please let me know if you are different than any of the above items.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if you meant Smart Stay or Smart lock, either way both are off on mine, and I did clear Cache before and after the Factory reset,and nothing helps. Maybe it's time to root and go back to KitKat.

Smart Stay. The all seeing eye of Sauron. That eye icon that stares at you. It's supposed to know if you're looking at your phone's screen so the screen stays lit.

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Just to find a common denominator with people that still have this issue:

Phone carrier - Sprint
Version - 5.1.1
Lock screen - Fingerprint.
SD card - Yes

Please let me know if you are different than any of the above items.

Launcher - Touchwiz

otherwise the same. and as i mentioned, mine is fixed with unchecking/turning off Smart Stay in the settings.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I uninstaled the screen-off app, and shut off the smart lock and Air wake up. (Which I miss all three of these things) anyway now the screen wake delay is much much less. Maybe 1 second vs. 4 seconds before. I also did 5 Cache clearing in a row.

note4ish

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Same issues and same denominators as mentioned. I tried both Touchwiz and Nova. I also did factory reset twice but problems still persist. :(

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I turned off the FP scanner and went to PIN, that didn't help. But when I went to Pattern and did a cache clear, my phone is flawless again and the battery life is WOW. Almost 48 hrs on one charge with 3+hrs of SOT.

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Had the Note 12.2 problem and my Note 4 lockscreen kept changing to an option I didn't choose. Couldn't set fingerprint for a few months without it changing back to Pin right away. Note 4 healed itself without my help after a few months. I did get a Samsung rep at Bestbuy to wipe the phone and re-install all right after I bought it to solve a Bluetooth problem. Samsung does look to be loosing it but since the Note phone no longer has an SdCard option they don't matter to me. Just need to get by until another brand replaces my stuff.