Staying with my Note4

bassplayrguy

Trusted Member
May 3, 2013
Visit site
Most likely for my next phone is going to be either LG (if they keep the removeable battery) or trying out Apple again. But for now I will keep my Note 4 for another year at least. See only reason Samsung went this route is to be like Apple.

Posted via the Android Central App

This doesn't even make any sense. I don't Samsung so I am going to go to Crapple. Samsung doesn't run android so using them as an excuse to leave the entire platform is nonsense. Samsung is nothing like apple. Apple is so late in bringing out technology that most if not all other manufacturers are ahead of them. I understand that you don't like the way Samsung is doing things but at least compare oranges to oranges.

twitch3488

Aug 28, 2014
Visit site
I wish the Note 4 and Edge 6+ got together and made a rugged (water resistant) baby. That would be my ideal phone. Would pay $$$$ for it too. :)

There is talk of a note 5 active coming in November. I'm waiting to see if that is true or not before I buy.

Sent from my XT1058 using Android Central

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks. I am one of the few who have bought and used the Note 5 for 14 days, comparing it with the Note 4. I will return the Note 5, will keep the Note 4. It is a great phone though, minus the sealed battery and a few other missing features.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
You make some great points and I think you even left out a few! I believe Sammy stripped a bunch more features than most ppl noticed,
Yes, this is not an "all inclusive" list. This is just stuff I picked up from forums, and web. If I had a Note 5, I would be able to list everything. And, I'm not trying to make a point... I'm merely pointing things out.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey folks. I am one of the few who have bought and used the Note 5 for 14 days, comparing it with the Note 4. I will return the Note 5, will keep the Note 4. It is a great phone though, minus the sealed battery and a few other missing features.
Curious about a camera feature found on the Note 4... I'm wondering if it's still there on the Note 5.

If you open the camera app and long press on the screen, the Note 4 focus ring will turn blue and will display "Focus/Exposure". It's the exposure lock feature... like a half-press on a camera's shutter button. Does it still happen on the Note 5? Thanks!

By the way, what made you jump to the Note 5?

Sammuel1973

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Curious about a camera feature found on the Note 4... I'm wondering if it's still there on the Note 5.

If you open the camera app and long press on the screen, the Note 4 focus ring will turn blue and will display "Focus/Exposure". It's the exposure lock feature... like a half-press on a camera's shutter button. Does it still happen on the Note 5? Thanks!

By the way, what made you jump to the Note 5?
Yes, still there. I never use it, even on my Note 4. I am not a camera guy.

I have always been a sucker for the "latest and greatest", and as a mobile technology enthusiast and a long time Note series user, I gotta have the Note 5. The design and build is to die for, but comparing it overall with the Note 4, it comes down to the battery life. All goodies the Note 5 has is moot when the phone dies by 3pm. Not good on the wknds when I am not near an outlet. I did give it a fair shot though.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, still there. I never use it, even on my Note 4. I am not a camera guy.

I have always been a sucker for the "latest and greatest", and as a mobile technology enthusiast and a long time Note series user, I gotta have the Note 5. The design and build is to die for, but comparing it overall with the Note 4, it comes down to the battery life. All goodies the Note 5 has is moot when the phone dies by 3pm. Not good on the wknds when I am not near an outlet. I did give it a fair shot though.
Thanks for the confirmation on the camera app! It's a quick way to get into spot mode for back-lit subjects.

I'm kind of surprised, and kind of not surprised to hear the battery didn't last that long for you. I would think Samsung would've tested really thoroughly before releasing the phone with a small battery. Even though I don't really care for it, I would hate to see the Note 5 fail, mostly because I really do want Samsung to succeed. I think removing the battery and SD was a big mistake, but from what I've been READING on XDA, the new screens are showing discoloration problems too. Something I think might hurt the phone if it's rampant. Time will tell.

NotAnAppleGuy

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
An S6 with a bigger display, more RAM and a bigger battery - with a Pen! :)

Point taken. My point is, Samsung gimped some of the key features in the Note 5 that define the Note series. And on top of that, the Note 4 isn't even a year old.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

rexbitz

Jun 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to run the note 4 till samsung wakes up and smells the coffee. They shouldn't change 2 features that made a huge amount of people stay with the brand.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I now have both. N4 and N5. I switched carriers and couldn't use my 4 from sprint. I love both. If you have a 4 and enjoy it, keep it. If you have the Xtra Cash and want the latest and greatest, go for the 5. You won't be disappointed.

Some of the things that appear to be missing from the 4 are in different places on the 5. And yes, there are some things that just aren't there either. Nothing was a deal breaker for me. I will say had I not switched Carriers, I'd still be using my 4 exclusively. Until October anyway.

Lollipop changed my 4, but it's not unbearable. The 5 simply picks up where my 4 left off.

Rmedy21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I was at my local Verizon store today. I must say the note 5 is a handsome device. It feels great in the hand too. I thought I was going to get the note 5. But I used the weekend to reflect on why I wanted the note 5. Honestly I could not even think of any reason to upgrade. Normally I always have to get the latest and greatest. But for some reason I'm not even interested in the note 5. I guess I look forward to see what else is out there

Quote The Note 4 Never More😤

KillerNut

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
1) On the Note 4, it gives you the "just once/always" option, and will continue to give you this option until you select always? There is no "just once" on the Note 5... you are given one choice to choose the default app. You can clear the choice on both Notes
2) On the Note 4, you can disable fast charging, it can't be disabled on the Note 5
3) Samsung did away with the "Side key" panel on the Note 5. This alone, (well, not just this!!!), would make me never upgrade to the Note 5. I use this ALL THE TIME!
4) "My Interests" wallpapers on the lockscreen is no longer a choice on the Note 5
5) According to some threads I've read, the speaker on the Note 5 is softer than the Note 4
6) I believe Smart Dock capability is also not present with a Note 5
7) "Smart detect", where the phone can detect text from a photo and convert it to text, is no longer present on the Note 5
8) Note 5's don't light up with notifications
9) Samsung's HDMI MHL adapter doesn't fit on a Note 5
10) You can't adjust the delay, or turn off the "touch key" lights on the Note 5
11) Can no longer capture frame by frame stills from video

WOW! I think you totally just sold me on going with a note 4 instead of a note 5. Thanks.

Katrina White1

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
#8, 10. Yes, you can. Just tested both. I believe there's side key, although I could be wrong. I thought i remembered seeing it in a tutorial.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
#8, 10. Yes, you can. Just tested both. I believe there's side key, although I could be wrong. I thought i remembered seeing it in a tutorial.

8) Note 5's don't light up with notifications: Information came from AC in THIS thread. More than one person verified it and people were talking about installing 3rd party app, so I assumed Notifications lighting up was dropped. You should probably reply to that thread to show people how to make they're notifications light up. Is there a setting for it? Is it carrier specific?

10) You can't adjust the delay, or turn off the "touch key" lights on the Note 5: Info was drawn on XDA from THIS thread. There are also reports around the web, but it now seems that this function is carrier specific. Keep in mind that when I originally made this list, the carrier specifics weren't mentioned, and it's possible that everyone in the thread had the same carrier that disabled the function.

I have edited the list for #10, but for #8, I don't know what to do since more than one person verified it in the post. I might have to go down to do this test myself, athough I dont know what I have to try.

I certainly don't want to mislead anyone with this list.

EDIT: Forgot about this...

I believe there's side key, although I could be wrong.
The Side Key panel, should be a resident of your Notification/Quick settings panel. You should see an icon with the name "Side key panel". Is it there?

barrettdaniel

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
I actually haven't went to any local stores to look at and hold the N5 for myself, but after reading multiple reviews and watching a couple videos, I can see why people might get a N5 if you have the extra cash. I'm sticking with my N4 even though I like having the newest tech. I have never had to change out my battery, and I don't think external storage is mandatory for me thanks to cloud storage, however I do use an SD card and I like knowing if my battery starts to suck I can get a new one easily and swap it out. I guess it's just my personal preference, if I can't ever get that again in a future Samsung device it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I think that maybe the target audience for the N5 isn't necessarily current Note fans, but maybe they're trying to attract new users to the Note family. Just a thought, probably wrong lol

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I think that maybe the target audience for the N5 isn't necessarily current Note fans, but maybe they're trying to attract new users to the Note family. Just a thought, probably wrong lol
No, I don't think you're wrong at all. I'm sure Samsung is NOT aiming the Note 5 at current owners. If they did, they wouldn't keep taking features away... previous owners notice that kind of stuff. Myself, I'm disheartened by it, and really, if I change to another brand down the road, I'm sure I'll lose all the stuff I like about the Note 4... well, maybe most of the stuff (they'll still be on Android).

OTACORB

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
If Samsung was worth a crap, they would give Note 4 purchasers most all of those features. They would just have to provide the software update. This is the chief problem with these Android manufacturers. Once they sell you the damn phone, you are stuck. Sure Google may update Android and push that out, but everything that the manufacture changed or did to the phone will remain the same. Unlike Apple which don't always support every feature on their older devices, but at least they do give you most of it. However, I am down with the Note 4 for the time being and it nothing wrong with it. I won't be upgrading to the Note 5 though.