Note 4 Swollen Battery and Warranty Replacement through AT&T

winpeguy

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
So I upgraded to a Note 5, and while preparing my Note 4 to sell, I noticed the battery was swollen. Basically instead of being flat, its curved. Obvious sign of a bad battery.

Last night I got on chat with Samsung and explained the problem. This phone belonged to my 11 year old son, which didn't use it too much and no water damage. They wanted proof that it was less than a year old to which I replied that it wasn't even released until October last year, so obviously yes it was less than a year.

So I was asked to send in my battery (2 business days), then wait for a tech to eval the battery (5 -7 business days), then wait for return shipping (2 business days). I ended up disconnecting from chat.

I ended up calling AT&T and was directed to their Service Center. At the Service Center (which they said I could have gone to any AT&T store, they checked the battery, and the IMEI number (to verify Warranty) and proceeded to order a replacement overnight for no charge. I was told I could keep / destroy / recycle the old battery.

So in short, check your Note 4 batteries to make sure they are not swollen, and if so, get them warranty replaced before your warranty runs out. If you purchased through AT&T, go through AT&T. T-Mobile purchases have to go through Samsung, but I think T-Mobile will work with you on sending it back.

And if you are selling any phone and it is still under warranty, please do the next person a favor and get a bad battery replaced. Who knows if it will explode, start a fire, etc.

Other notable thoughts . . . I owned 4 x AT&T Note 4's which were upgraded to 4 x T-Mobile Note 5's. This was the only phone that had a swollen battery, although this, and two others had a Qi Receiver in the back and was charged exclusively on a Tylt Qi Wireless Charging Stand.
Additionally, I did have to verify the phone number or AT&T Account number, but was given no issues, even though I have ported to T-Mobile as of last week. Also my Note 4 was Out of Contract (paid ETF), but that shouldn't matter, if you are within your first year, you should be able to get Warranty service.

Also I do have pictures if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

savuth

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
As you mentioned in your message that you can chat with Samsung, How to do that? please let me have this website, I wanted to chat with them for some issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC