What should I look out for in a Used Note 4

thucktuck

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi all, I'm looking to buy a used Samsung Galaxy Note 4 later tonight. I'm just wondering what would I have to look out for when taking over the phone. How do I run a check on say for example, the battery, camera, screen or whether it has been rooted before. I do not have a clue on what to check on or how, so I hope seasoned Note 4 users would know more about the phone's more common problems! Thanks!

Posted this at "Ask A Question" section previously but it doesnt seem like there'll be any responses there. Hence trying it out here!

Bbeelzebub

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Depends on where you're buying it. Obviously, the IMEI number is a big one. Make sure it's clean and hasn't been blacklisted anywhere.

I think checking the battery is pointless because there are so many factors that come into play there. Even if it powers up and runs, you really have no idea how good the battery is unless it dies in a really short time. The camera you can check to make sure it focuses well. I've seen reports of people saying their didn't focus well. The screen, you can look for dead pixels and scratches. You can also check to see if Knox has been tripped in the settings. Although, if it has been rooted, that can be changed. If you're buying a ATT or Verizon model, it obviously hasn't been rooted as their is no root.

If you're buying online, look for people throwing in extra memory cards, chargers, etc. Oh, also make sure it comes with the Samsung fast charger. I know on my listing on Swappa, I've included all that stuff personally.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Agree with Bbeelzbub, test the camera out well to make sure it focuses, if it's having trouble focusing and it's emitting weird sounds (hold it to your ear, if it buzzes like a mosquito or hums etc.) that's NOT a good sign.

thucktuck

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Noted! (Pun not intended) Will check the IMEI. I'm buying from the direct seller, will be meeting the person in 2 more hours, and I'm living in Singapore. Didn't know about the camera issue and will give it a check later. Wonder if Samsung will fix it under warranty as the set still has supposedly 2 more months of warranty to go. The sets sold in Singapore can probably be rooted, but if the rooting can be reverted I guess it should be fine also. Rather excited in getting the Note 4 later on!

coolbreeze

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
I got mine used. It was as close to being "scammed" on Craigslist as I have ever been. I was given the wrong charger. Also when I was setting it up I noticed the SPEN and the fingerprint scanner didn't work. I think the screen was probably replaced before I got it. So I guess I wasn't scammed, just certain info was withheld.

I was able to get a warranty replacement so it ended well for me, but those are some things to check ahead of time.

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Clean ESN, no scratches on screen. Make sure you do a factory reset when you get it. Check swappa.com. I got mine there and got a near mint N4 for a great price.

Posted via the Android Central App

thucktuck

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
Update: have gotten the Note 4 for 2 days and playing around with it. I've been happy with it so far with everything else. However I also discovered that the knox has been tripped. Hence even though by right there should be warranty left for this phone, the knox being tripped would void it... and as I searched, I haven't found a way in which this can be undone in the note 4, so this is one thing to look out for when buying used samsung!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC