iPhone 6+ to Nexus 6, to Moto X Pure, to Note 4... Any Quick Tips for me?

afoon2001

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
So I've had the 6+ for about 9 months, and I'm bored with it. I can't go back to smaller screens, not even 5.1", so I look around at LG, Nexus and Samsung. The LG just felt a little bit odd in my hand and first impressions (all of 2 minutes) of their UI made me feel like I was holding a kid's toy.

Nexus 6... nice screen, screen size wow'ed me. $349? Midnight Blue please! Ordered from Best Buy and it took more than a week for availability. Once I got it in hand with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on, I realized it was simply too HUGE. I returned it the very next day. But I did like the little I saw of Lollipop. Back to the 6+ I go...

Two weeks pass and I read a lot about the Moto X and the upcoming Pure Edition. Placed my order for the Moto X Pure and received it in 3 days. Used it for a week and really, really liked it! I continued reading reviews and other users' experiences, and of course comparisons to the Note 4 and 5. My teen-aged daughter's S4 started to malfunction (discovered it was a stuck power button), so I let her use the XPE. Back to the 6+ I go...! But I continue reading about the comparisons and the Note 4 began to intrigue me. I saw one for auction on eBay, and on a whim, I dropped a bid that was $10 over the current winning bid... 30 minutes later I became the owner of a near-mint white 32GB Note 4.

A few days later, the N4 arrived, in mint condition, if I didn't know it was used, I'd think it was new. Did all the checks and examinations and I believe it's not a counterfeit but the genuine article. See ya later XPE, back to Motorola you go! Here's my initial take on the Note 4:
- Screen... great size, brightness, colors, and resolution
- Camera is superb
- Size... hits the sweet spot, very comparable to the XPE and 6+
- Nova Launcher Prime and the ability to use icon packs (no such flexibility with iOS)
- Wireless charging... slipped in a receiver coil and I'm good to go
- Available accessories... like the iPhone, there a multitude to choose from; there was a very, very limited selection available for the XPE.
- Battery life so far has far exceeded the 6+ and XPE
- Gotta learn what makes this SPen useful, haven't quite read up on it yet.

I've got a few questions though:

1. I really like the format of the Photo Gallery in iOS, and have never liked it in Samsung. Any available Gallery apps available to give me what I want?

2. I liked the feature on the XPE that showed the time and notification banners whenever my hand came near the screen, or I moved (or picked up) the phone. It was great taking the phone out of my pocket to instantly see the time and notifications without having to press a button. I see how Air Wave works, but can I wake the screen by just moving the phone?

3. Music.. I have approx 100 songs I bought on iTunes, Double Twist can't access them because of the copy protection from Apple (I stopped buying music on iTunes because of this). Any way around that?

4. Cases... I like minimalistic cases like the Spigen Neo Hybrid and Air Cushion, rejected the Thin Fit because the top and bottom edges are not protected. The Slim Armor is too slippery. Anyone using the Tough Armor? I have the TA for my 6+ and it is one of my preferred cases because it actually allows more grip than most, but retains a VERY slim profile. The TA for the Note 4 looks very bulky in photos, and I want to stay away from bulk. I seem to be stuck on Spigen these last few years, but would not mind trying another brand (I have the i-Blason Clear Case on order right now). I've read so many case threads and "Best Case" reviews from CNET, phonearena, etc., that all say the same thing... Any recommendations from actual owners?

If you've read this entire thread, thanks for taking the time to do so. I look forward to another year or so with the Note 4, at least until the new phone bug bites again. Cheers!

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I am in similar boat. Getting the 4 today. This case
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Case, Protective Cover - Gray: Cell Phones & Accessories
along with tempered glass screen protector is highly regarded in the accessories forum. Looks very nice.

Your songs have the drm protection? Apple stopped doing that a while back. A couple of options, none great. 1-use iTunes Match. It will replace the songs with DRM free versions that can be copied over. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201616
2-burn to cd, re-encode. 3. Get them mp3 version some other way...

afoon2001

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I am in similar boat. Getting the 4 today. This case
Amazon.com: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Case, Protective Cover - Gray: Cell Phones & Accessories
along with tempered glass screen protector is highly regarded in the accessories forum. Looks very nice.

Your songs have the drm protection? Apple stopped doing that a while back. A couple of options, none great. 1-use iTunes Match. It will replace the songs with DRM free versions that can be copied over. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201616
2-burn to cd, re-encode. 3. Get them mp3 version some other way...

Thanks.. ordered the red case!

I never realized it but it's true... the songs with DRM are old. But old reggae and dancehall never dies... I will try some of your options. Thanks again!

afoon2001

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the Otterbox Commuter and it was just too bulky for me as well. The Tech21 Impactology case has exceeded my expectations:

Amazon.com: Tech21 D3O Impact Mesh Case for Samsung Galaxy S4 - Smokey: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thin with reinforced corners. I've had several drops (even one on my concrete driveway!) and nary a scratch or ding thus far (knock wood).

Thanks for the suggestion but didn't see much offerings from Tech 21, the few they had cost too much and the colors would not go well with my white N4... too bad.

wire1141

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
I love the Speck Candyshell Grip. Not too much bulk, easy out of pocket. I work in construction and unfortunately my note 4 was knocked out of my hand a few times with absolutely zero damage. I could sell it as mint with no problem.
I am typing this reply with my new MXPE, wishing Speck made a case for it... Rep said no chance.

Posted via the Android Central App

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Welcome aboard :)

I have 2 cases for my Note 4: first the TA absolutely loving it and secondly the original Samsung Flipcover without the LCD window. It's very slim and also adds a nice little function by protecting the screen and if you open it the screen turns on so you don't have to press a button.

http://www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B00NFW...ag=techracom00-21&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4735778

As far as apps are concerned:
Try to search for the old - non CM version - of Quick pic another great one is F-Stop the ad free version costs a few bucks but to me it was well worth it , things like Quick folders and the option to hide pw protect folders is just great.

Depending on your carrier I would also recommend using an app known as Debloater plus enabling developer options (go to settings select about and tap it a few times ) reduce the animation speed to 0 or if you like them something around 0.5.

As far as getting your songs over samsung offers an app which makes importing stuff from other phones easy I'm no sure if it includes your mp3 files tbh but try it and if it doesn't work I am sure you can reload a drm free version of them somewhere

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Welcome aboard :)

I have 2 cases for my Note 4: first the TA absolutely loving it and secondly the original Samsung Flipcover without the LCD window. It's very slim and also adds a nice little function by protecting the screen and if you open it the screen turns on so you don't have to press a button.

Samsung Flip Wallet Case Cover Schutzhülle mit Kartenfach Classic Edition für Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - Schwarz:Amazon.de:Elektronik

As far as apps are concerned:
Try to search for the old - non CM version - of Quick pic another great one is F-Stop the ad free version costs a few bucks but to me it was well worth it , things like Quick folders and the option to hide pw protect folders is just great.

Depending on your carrier I would also recommend using an app known as Debloater plus enabling developer options (go to settings select about and tap it a few times ) reduce the animation speed to 0 or if you like them something around 0.5.

As far as getting your songs over samsung offers an app which makes importing stuff from other phones easy I'm no sure if it includes your mp3 files tbh but try it and if it doesn't work I am sure you can reload a drm free version of them somewhere

Good advice. I have the Verizon version which does not allow blocking, so I just disabled all bloaty apps. Not having root really stinks.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Yeah I would never buy a smartphone without the ability to root the only exception is and was the blackberry bold 9900 because it's an insane communication device even 4 years after the release

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I wish I had that luxury. It's a work phone and we are on Verizon. No changing that for the foreseeable future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance