How to block the lollipop update on a new out of the box note 4

p5200

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
When I go to activate the brand new phone with Verizon, I would like to try and keep the kit-kat from updating. How, do I go about doing that? Will it ask me to update or will it just be forced into the new phone? Thanks! :)

thinkinfinity

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Usually, you have the option to not download the new OS.
In Settings, About Phone, Settings uncheck automatic updates.

You can do this on Samsung and Sony Z Phones.

From experience, Kitkat is nicer and more stable than Lollipop, plus it has less app compatibility issues.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
More than likely a new phone will come with LP already installed. However, if it does happen to come with KK, then visit this XDA THREAD to learn how to block OTA and Knox.

If the phone comes with LP and the build version ends with BOAF, then the phone may still be able to be rolled back to KK. Visit this XDA THREAD for reverting back to KK.

If the build version ends with BOF1, your phone is stuck on LP as VZW has incremented the bootloader. You cannot revert a BOF1 phone.

If the phone does come with KK and you want to try LP, there is a thread for a "Safe Upgrade" which allows you to revert to KK again after trying LP.

Whatever the case, it's highly recommended you read through the linked threads so you get a full understanding of what you need to do. Flashing always has risks, but the linked threads have worked for me with no problems. YMMV!

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
go into the settings>wireless settings and select "Use 2G Networks Only" it will reduce the battery usage and you can always turn it back on when needed. this should help with the problem your having.

It depends on the carrier. Some carriers only let you postpone so many times and then it is forced on you. Some carriers you can't disable the updater without rooting.

Last edited:

Rocko

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
More than likely a new phone will come with LP already installed. However, if it does happen to come with KK, then visit this XDA THREAD to learn how to block OTA and Knox.

If the phone comes with LP and the build version ends with BOAF, then the phone may still be able to be rolled back to KK. Visit this XDA THREAD for reverting back to KK.

If the build version ends with BOF1, your phone is stuck on LP as VZW has incremented the bootloader. You cannot revert a BOF1 phone.

If the phone does come with KK and you want to try LP, there is a thread for a "Safe Upgrade" which allows you to revert to KK again after trying LP.

Whatever the case, it's highly recommended you read through the linked threads so you get a full understanding of what you need to do. Flashing always has risks, but the linked threads have worked for me with no problems. YMMV!
I just got Verizon Note 4. Build and baseband ends in BOG5. Can this phone be rooted?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
My build number ends in BOG5
This is the latest OTA, unfortunately it cannot be reverted back to Kitkat as the bootloader has been incremented.

I just got Verizon Note 4. Build and baseband ends in BOG5. Can this phone be rooted?
There is no "permanent" root for the Verizon Note 4. You can do a "temporary" root using Kingroot and SuperSu Me. You can read THIS THREAD if you wish to pursue. Gatesjunior has been working hard to make this temp root almost permanent. Read the thread.

p5200

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
AH DARN IT, I knew it! lol! I thank you for sharing your extensive, knowledge with me though for sure. Maybe, some day they will give me the 5.1.1 update and then, I'll probably be wanting the 5.0 back again. :D

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
No extensive knowledge... just a lot of reading. 5.1.1 is supposed to fix a memory leak, I believe, so it might be a good upgrade. Several people reporting good things about it in the forum... of course, mixed in with those reporting bad stuff. Good luck with it!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance