Apps draining battery

Tahir Ahmed1

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi Experts .. so after all these months of use which apps are draining battery the most in ur opinion?
Me i think facebook app , tunein radio and google play services.

Posted via the Android Central App

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi Experts .. so after all these months of use which apps are draining battery the most in ur opinion?

Opening system settings - battery will tell you which apps are consuming the most battery life. You can also select the apps from that menu to see more information.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks but no , i wanna know in general the biggest battery drainers

As-in a general community consensus?

Not gonna happen . . . well . . you'll get a bunch of opinions . . . but they'll all be based on distinct personal experiences which isn't going to mean a whole lot if everyone is running different software, which we all are.

I agree that Facebook is one that ranks high for me, but I'm sure that others will have other apps that rank high for them.

Personally, this is why I root . . to tame apps . . I'm not a heavy FB user for example, I just troll occasionally so I freeze that sucker when not in use using a Titanium backup widget shortcut on my desktop and it therefore drains ZERO for me when I'm not using it.

With all of my app taming techniques in play I end up seeing Google's own sync and play services stuff being battery hogs. Whether its location reporting or other services.

kurt p

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
For me it was messenger and words with friends. I deleted messenger and now I log out of words with friends whenever I'm not playing it. Also had Google music always randomly running in rhe background so I disabled that since I never use it.

Tahir Ahmed1

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
As-in a general community consensus?

Not gonna happen . . . well . . you'll get a bunch of opinions . . . but they'll all be based on distinct personal experiences which isn't going to mean a whole lot if everyone is running different software, which we all are.

I agree that Facebook is one that ranks high for me, but I'm sure that others will have other apps that rank high for them.

Personally, this is why I root . . to tame apps . . I'm not a heavy FB user for example, I just troll occasionally so I freeze that sucker when not in use using a Titanium backup widget shortcut on my desktop and it therefore drains ZERO for me when I'm not using it.

With all of my app taming techniques in play I end up seeing Google's own sync and play services stuff being battery hogs. Whether its location reporting or other services.

You 're right- now iam thinking seriously about rooting my phone . Just a question: if i root will i have full control of apps like killing them or stopping them from running in background ?and what is the safest root method? bacause iam afraid of bricking my phone.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
You 're right- now iam thinking seriously about rooting my phone . Just a question: if i root will i have full control of apps like killing them or stopping them from running in background ?and what is the safest root method? bacause iam afraid of bricking my phone.

The engineer in me never likes to speak in absolutes so full no but you would be able to control things significantly yes. Right off the bat with root one can see more detail in battery usage statistics and wakelock detection using 3rd party applications like wakelock detector and GSAM battery monitor etc. That alone will help isolate things quickly.

Freezing unwanted applications with Titanium backup (I never uninstall, that's dangerous) can help a lot. Then there's greenify and boot managment applications that will help keep applications from starting up until you fire them up yourself. Greenify is most effective with Xposed framework installed that allows experimental features inside greenify to be turned on. Lastly there's applications like Amplify for Xposed that will allow you to block some wakelocks forcing things to operate at longer frequencies to reduce battery consumption on standby even more.

I find it an iterative and ongoing process whereby as applications update and my usage changes I'll revisit settings and adjust things. It takes patience, research and observation, otherwise there can be some serious lessons learned. Freezing system applications can impact stability if one's blindly going into Titanium and freezing things without knowing what they're for. There's no one stop guide but there are many posts out there of "safe" apps to freeze. The caveat there is, not everyone uses their devices the same way so what's unnecessary for one person may be a critical thing for someone else.

Rooting's the reason I went straight for a T-Mobile variant when the Note 4 came out last year. I'm on AT&T, but ended up opening a T-Mobile account, paying full for the phone, cancelling the account and using my AT&T SIM in it.

I'm not sure what variant you have so I can't say how to root it. Recommend checking XDA's forums. I haven't kept up with development for other variants but last i checked months back there was no permanent root for Verizon and AT&T variants.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site

The worst drainer I've ever had and deleted it, is PayPal. It restarted non stop using mega battery life. If I use PayPal I just go to website. Battery savers use lots of power too.