automatic WIFI connecting algorithm is terrible

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
This burns my ***. Im at home with a 5 bar 2.4ghz signal, a 3 bar 5ghz signal and a 1 bar optimum free signal from the neighborhood. This phone CONSTANTLY connects to the god damned 1 bar signal. I want to strangle the living crap out of it sometimes, especially when I'm streaming to my chromecast.

anyone ever find a way to limit/fix this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you forget the free network, or do you need to keep that remembered for things like wi-fi calling when you're away from home?

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi...

I feel your pain especially since Xfinity replaced my router with their combo LAN \ WiFi one. This new router allows for a private WiFi network but it also broadcasts the Xfinity WiFi that is for subscribers (pet peeve #21431 that Xfinity is piggybacking my modem, my electricity, my location to enhance their WiFi footprint but they hide behind the "convenience that you do not have to share your personal credentials with visitors" - sorry for the rant).

My Note 4 \ Galaxy Tab S would constantly want to jump on the Xfinity signal because they were equal strength and messed up my Chromecast, printing, etc.... I found a great app called "WiFi Prioritizer" that allows me to put the WiFi signals I have in an order that I need. My private network is number one and I moved Xfinity way down the bottom to where it will not "hijack" my connection yet be available if I am in a public area

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi...

I feel your pain especially since Xfinity replaced my router with their combo LAN \ WiFi one. This new router allows for a private WiFi network but it also broadcasts the Xfinity WiFi that is for subscribers (pet peeve #21431 that Xfinity is piggybacking my modem, my electricity, my location to enhance their WiFi footprint but they hide behind the "convenience that you do not have to share your personal credentials with visitors" - sorry for the rant).

My Note 4 \ Galaxy Tab S would constantly want to jump on the Xfinity signal because they were equal strength and messed up my Chromecast, printing, etc.... I found a great app called "WiFi Prioritizer" that allows me to put the WiFi signals I have in an order that I need. My private network is number one and I moved Xfinity way down the bottom to where it will not "hijack" my connection yet be available if I am in a public area

You can call Comcast and ask them to disable the Xfinity WiFi and they'll do it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those are both good ideas! I rarely use the xfinitywireless public hotspots, so if I ever logged into one, I'd just forget that network at home so that it doesn't try to connect.

Kegman

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes thanks, I noticed that when I disabled the free networks on my phone, my Wi-Fi only tablet also automatically forgot them which was a pain because I use the free networks often on the tablet.

I might have tried a different prioritize out am app making that claim before, but I'll try yours, thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair