Note 4 Doesn't Automatically switch from WiFi to Data?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I can't remember if it was before Lollipop or before the ATT 5.1.1 update we just had, but I don't remember having to manually switch from WiFi to Data when out and about with my Note 4. Is this something one of the last updates did?

I find it so irritating to have to do this, when before it would switch to data when not in WiFi range. Meaning I could leave Wifi on and still be out and look up things on the internet without having to switch off WiFi to get Data to work.

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been having this problem too, sometimes it switches over, but many times going from a Wifi to data, the Wifi connection will stick and it won't switch over. I think it started in one of the last few updates, can't remember which though. Hoping 5.1.1 fixes it (assuming VZW deems me worthy of receiving 5.1.1).

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm on ATT with 5.1.1 and it's been something that's been happening with my phone for awhile. I can't get any internet unless I turn off WiFi. I hate to call customer service, but just maybe they can fix it and I'm missing something in settings. I do remember seeing a post similar to this awhile back on the forum, but couldn't find it when I tried to look it up.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, more minutes of my life I'll never get back with a Tech rep from ATT. First I tell him what's happening and then after clearing Internet cache and cookies (?HUH) and him telling me to clear cache and then if that doesn't work, factory reset. I go out and it still does not switch to Data when I'm out, but rather tries to connect to nearby comcast Wifi hotspots. I'm not a comcast subscriber here. I also told him how the phone was scanning every few seconds for Wifi connections, even though I was at home connected to my Wifi. Which I thought was weird. He said normal.

So I look online and figured it out myself from the great Android Central. :) I found this thread: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...oes-my-note-4-automatically-connect-wifi.html

Sure enough, check my settings and uncheck the Network Notification box and also always allow scanning. Problem fixed. Went out and was able to use Google search without having to switch off my Wifi. I should have known to look deeper into the wifi settings, but this is a warranty replacement phone, so it was already that way when I received it. I'm starting to show my age, getting forgetful. Just glad I found that thread or I would have done a factory reset for nothing. Plus the guy said if that didn't work, get another replacement phone. These are the guys helping Us when we need help. If you ask me, they need to know this stuff if they are working tech support. Pretty lame. Hope the link helps you ToddL.