Battery Drains After 2 Factory Resets?

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
So, I downloaded some things I shouldn't have, and my battery was draining. I factory reset the phone (now twice) and loaded up my usual things, and it's still draining insanely fast.

Please help me!

Posted via the Android Central App

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
It's one or more of the "usual things" you keep loading up. Try the FDR and set it up as a new phone and try it before adding anything to it. Don't restore a previous backup during setup or else you're just restoring whatever is causing the problem

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
It's one or more of the "usual things" you keep loading up. Try the FDR and set it up as a new phone and try it before adding anything to it. Don't restore a previous backup during setup or else you're just restoring whatever is causing the problem

Thanks.

FDR?

And, can I run a Nova Launcher Restore? Maybe I could restore an old Nova back-up? Would that matter?

Can I do that and not have to reset again?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

This. To isolate issues with a device one has to approach things systematically, otherwise what hope does one have to resolve things? Start fresh and don't install anything for a few hours. Just use the device for basic browsing and texting or better yet not at all. Evaluate standby time with no email or social media accounts set up if you can. Chances are standby drain will be gone. Then manually install a couple of apps at a time and keep an eye on drain until you find the culprit.

Typical high standby drain culprits include social media apps, weather apps and other apps that frequently check for updates in the background. Imagine dozens of apps doing this, all at different schedules. During standby the device's processor is supposed to ramp down to a low power state but if it's being woken up every few minutes that's not good, worse if screen is woken up too.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks.

FDR?

And, can I run a Nova Launcher Restore? Maybe I could restore an old Nova back-up? Would that matter?

Can I do that and not have to reset again?

FDR=Factory Data Reset

I recommend not restoring anything. Don't install the launcher or any other apps for a day or so and evaluate the battery life.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
That's true, but it wasn't happening before this weekend.

If that's the case then it's possibly an application that has recently released an update. To figure out which isn't easy as far as I can tell. About the only way is to look at the information in the app store for each application to determine when the last date that the developer updated the app was.

Starting with the typical suspects would be where I'd start.

Dankees

Trusted Member
Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, my battery is still giving me issues. I did a proper Factory Data Reset. I restarted without using any back-ups (really a fresh start). I only downloaded Google applications and a few things I always use. I just don't get it.

18 minutes in, and I'm down 8% battery life already. After 18 minutes, I used to only be down like 2%.

What can I do? This is a nightmare!

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps it is one of the "few things" you always use that doesn't play well with 5.0.1. I would uninstall all of them and see how the battery does, then add them back only one at a time and give time to check how it affects battery life before installing the next one.