Note 4 Sudden Battery Drain

RiaBrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Ria, how is your GPS working, any trouble finding satellites?
I keep my GPS off unless I need it got directions, finding something nearby, etc. I find it to be a battery hog. When it is on, I'm not having too much trouble finding satellites. I'm in a rapidly-growing city outside of Kansas City, MO, and have been for over 20 years. Never had GPS problems on any of my phones.

I'm not having the sudden battery drain issues as often anymore, and I keep a fully charged portable charger in my bag at all times. I don't have a car and walk everywhere, and as a woman out alone I do not like being out and about without a charged phone.

BUT there is something in Marshmallow that is using too much battery and I can't figure out what it is. It used to be "AirWakeUp," but with the upgrade that's gone. Has anyone else noticed that you can no longer clear cache in a sluggish app? Now you can just force quit it, not clear the cache.

For what it's worth, I have cleared my phone's cache and nothing changed. Battery life still the same, draining much faster than it used to.

Kev16

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Besides the horrible battery life, I want to know if anyone else experienced or noticed that the NFC no longer works. I actually, noticed after my factory reset after upgrading the software to 6.0.1. At first the phone wouldn't vibrate after a while, but it works now after the reset. I bought two new batteries and they didn't help The NFC issue or battery drain. The button is just grayed out. 😔. I have no desire to buy a new phone, and I loved this one from when I took it out of the box. (910A).

JasW

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
It is very unlikely after an update that it is your battery that is the problem, though it could be by coincidence. .

Actually, it is quite likely if we're talking about battery drainage. I've always suffered drastically decreased battery life after a major update, e.g., just like now with the Marshmallow update on AT&T. I'd put off a factory wipe until this past weekend. Presto, change-o. My battery life is back to being excellent again. Coincidence? I think not.

The bottom line is that if your battery life was fine before an update and sucks after the update, a factory wipe will take care of it.

Gustavo gusso

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
Actually, it is quite likely if we're talking about battery drainage. I've always suffered drastically decreased battery life after a major update, e.g., just like now with the Marshmallow update on AT&T. I'd put off a factory wipe until this past weekend. Presto, change-o. My battery life is back to being excellent again. Coincidence? I think not.

The bottom line is that if your battery life was fine before an update and sucks after the update, a factory wipe will take care of it.

Same here in Brasil.. some times at 35.. some times at 55% it just die. I ve tryied back to stock version via Odin.. factory reset.. custom Room.. battery calibration, new original battery and nothing changes.. as i see is a global issue.. but i cant find any answer from samsung about it.

Last edited:

Janet Henderson

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge phone & my phone shuts down, (often but not everytime), I take pictures & it doesn't matter how much battery I have left. I thought it was when I use the flash, but it happens with or without it. When I plug it into the charger it will show no battery & that it's not charging, & after a few minutes it will show the original battery I had left & that it's charging. It only happens when I use the camera.

I took it to Verizon & was told it's a battery issue & I needed to buy a new battery.(Personally, I think they are all idiots as they can't seem to answer any questions.) Also, you can no longer purchase batteries at the stores.

Whoever is telling people to buy a new battery needs to stop, as that is not the issue. I have bought two new batteries & it is still happening with both, so I it's not a battery issue.

WARMAN-12

Oct 26, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge phone & my phone shuts down, (often but not everytime), I take pictures & it doesn't matter how much battery I have left. I thought it was when I use the flash, but it happens with or without it. When I plug it into the charger it will show no battery & that it's not charging, & after a few minutes it will show the original battery I had left & that it's charging. It only happens when I use the camera.

I took it to Verizon & was told it's a battery issue & I needed to buy a new battery.(Personally, I think they are all idiots as they can't seem to answer any questions.) Also, you can no longer purchase batteries at the stores.

Whoever is telling people to buy a new battery needs to stop, as that is not the issue. I have bought two new batteries & it is still happening with both, so I it's not a battery issue.

PROBLEM SOLVED FOR NOW
The problem is 100% software do not buy a new battery I came across a video on YouTube that advised to download an app called "wakelock" pick the one that says "power manager" has an icon of a light bulb and padlock..from the play store.
I was skeptical at first how this would work but it does!
download the app and open it,from the list pick number 4 "partial wake lock" and it's a miracle somehow solved all the issues I have been having like every body above has something to do with keeping the cpu awake not sure why this works but it does hope this helps a lot of people as it did me this drove me mad for ages looking for a fix.
Ryan

Last edited by a moderator:

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site

EVERYONE. THIS. Been saying it for years...

Harriet Meyers

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I have same issue. Did a factory total reset 3x no change. I also get a message battery temp to low cant charge. This is very strange. I think it has to be caused by some kind of update. Odd everyone has same issue.

Daryl-Anne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I do not believe this is a battery issue as I replaced the battery and the same thing happened. Also, I slow charge my phone overnight and on the weekend and it is as likely to happen then as if I've used the fast charge (which I keep at work). I think it must be a software issue.

Daryl-Anne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I did a factory wipe 3 days ago and have continued having the same problem since (no difference).

So: New battery - no difference
Slow charge - no difference
Factory wipe - no difference

any other ideas??

Daryl-Anne

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
PROBLEM SOLVED FOR NOW
The problem is 100% software do not buy a new battery I came across a video on YouTube that advised to download an app called "wakelock" pick the one that says "power manager" has an icon of a light bulb and padlock..from the play store.
I was skeptical at first how this would work but it does!
download the app and open it,from the list pick number 4 "partial wake lock" and it's a miracle somehow solved all the issues I have been having like every body above has something to do with keeping the cpu awake not sure why this works but it does hope this helps a lot of people as it did me this drove me mad for ages looking for a fix.
Ryan

Thanks Ryan - I'm trying this now!

sdoyle98

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
Talked to a Verizon Tech at customer service. They said that sometimes using WiFi to do software update can download a corrupt version of the update. He suggested doing a clean update using Repair Assistant which is download from the phone when you choose USB Connection as Software Installation. Install the software, disconnect the phone, open the repair Assistant, THEN connect your phone and choose File Transfer option on the phone for the USB Connection Type. Click on Repair Galaxy Note 4. The software will have the option to backup your stuff, it will then download the update directly to the computer then transfer the update to the phone and the phone will do a clean install.

Just did it this morning and will report back. Not sure how this makes a difference as I'm using the same WiFi to download the software - just through the computer first then to the phone. The repair assistant might do a better job in validating the download. We will see.

venfmuvnk

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
After trying so many different settings and multiple factory resets, my Note 4 was not staying on unless plugged in. The only way I could keep it on was to turn it on in the SAFE MODE.
So, I described as being on life support.

Then, as I was looking for a replacement battery (I avoided the usual Samsung battery sold online) and came across a battery made by DURACELL and sold by Batteries Plus (www.batteriesplus.com) for $39.99 - I picked up the battery [ https://www.batteriesplus.com/batte...galaxy-note-4/galaxy-note-4-_-sm=n910a-(at~t) ]
a few days ago on Wednesday, reset the phone the umpteenth time, replaced the original with this DURACELL battery and the phone is working like it was when new. More than 40-45% charge left at the end of a full day of use.

My STRONG advice to go get the DURACELL battery and get done with this problem.

Frankly, I don't even plug in the phone until it is down to 10% anymore. Today is the 6th day and I am not even worried a bit about the phone dying on me before I get to recharge it.

I have turned off or disabled the fast charging, because I'm not sure if this is a fast charge compatible battery or not. I'm in no rush to fast charge my phone.

P. S. If you order it online, there's a 10% off discount code.

REALLY WORKED FOR ME!
WORTH TRYING IT FOR $36 + tax + S&H if applicable.

venfmuvnk

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
These are the screen shots of the phone on a single full charge from 24 hours ago. These are results from a week after having started using the new DURACELL battery. Still working like a new phone. I'm not trying to advertise for the battery, but no less than trying to help the Note 4 owners just like me.
Screenshot_2016-11-30-11-03-50.jpg
Battery % remaining after 24 hours ≈ 20%

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-11-30-10-01-20.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-11-30-10-01-20.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2016-11-30-07-05-19.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-11-30-07-05-19.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_2016-11-29-16-46-07.jpg
    Screenshot_2016-11-29-16-46-07.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Philis1981

Dec 1, 2016
Visit site
If your using Verizon restrict "background data" in Data usage drop down menu...had same problem now I am having no drain issue you all are experiencing here.

ghumlic1

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
I had this same issue pop up in 2015 so Jan 1st 2016 after many weeks of trying various fixes I bought the Anker replacement Note 4 battery. It had great reliability, held a charge much better and fixed my battery drain issues and powering off problems... or so I thought. In the last 3 weeks I've experienced the same issue with the Anker battery as I did with my OEM battery. Is anyone else experiencing this issue again with a non OEM replacement battery? I've reached out to Anker for a replacement since they have an 18 month warranty. Hopefully they send me a new battery and this lasts until the Note 8 is released.

fortisi876

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a serious battery drain problem for about a week now as well. Stock battery here, could it be related to the last security update? I just updated on the 8th and all of a sudden I have battery life issues, coincidental???

Just to be clear on MY problem, I have a habit of topping off my cell before I turn in, typically 100% at bedtime. Most times, by morning it'll drop anywhere from 7-15%....killing all apps in the background seems to give me the better number. For the last few days, I'm getting about a 75% drop through the night, even when I clear all the apps. :confused:

Edit: trying a factory reset as recommended above, will update if I see a positive change.

EDIT2: The factory reset fixed my battery drain problem, same battery is now holding up as well as it did when I brought this phone home last Xmas. Def recommend giving it a factory reset BEFORE going nuts replacing batteries and/or downloading unnecessary apps.

What kind of batteries and from whom?

I'd like to believe this is 100% true but after some reading, someone brought up a solid point, unless our Note4 battery is being utilized in a newer phone today, are we buying OLD batteries from Samsung??? If so, then I can see it still being a battery related issue. What SHOULD BE happening is cellular phone companies/manufacturers should be made to add a 'build date' on their batteries so we know what we're buying. I just ordered an offbrand battery on Amazon, PowerBear, comes with a 24mo warranty and a very high review rating so I'm gonna give/em a try.....

See EDIT2 above, cancelled the battery purchase.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36