Playing music in my car from my Note 4

mted58

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I've searched and couldn't find an issue or solution close to mine so forgive me if this was already posted somewhere and i missed it.
I have a Note 4 and a 2014 GMC Terrain. The Bluetooth allows hands free calling but not music play. I have a USB plug and tried plugging in the phone thru the USB plug and I got the Samsung Brand Music to play but my music in Google Play Music just played on my phone not on the radio.
Do I need an app to get this to work? Or am I doing something wrong?
Thanks for any help!

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Can you get a plug that plugs into where the headphones would plug in and then plug it into an AUX port in your vehicle?

Posted via the Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yup basically a stereo 3.5mm male to male cable. Tons of them available on Amazon or other online sellers.

I'd go looking online at GMC forums to see if others have had issues with samsung phones streaming music to their vehicles. Perhaps there's something you missed when pairing the device?

mted58

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't able to connect to anything other than hands free calling. I even talked to a Samsung rep who had me try a few things but I couldn't get the media part to work at all. He had me try to connect using Samsung music app where there's a option to play music via Bluetooth, then it tries to connect but can't find any devices.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
IMO forget the Samsung rep. Go to someone experienced in your vehicle. The odds of a Samsung rep knowing how to troubleshoot Bluetooth connectivity with a every possible OEM sound system found in vehicles is far less than a car dealer or service tech who has to support that one type of vehicle and the many phones that come through the dealership. At the very least you'll get a straight answer whether or not it's possible.

Like Synycalwon said, if in Bluetooth settings both media and call audio aren't showing up activated for your car connection it won't matter what app you try, you'll never get media audio.

mted58

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to check with my car dealer and see if it's possible for my particular car to use the Bluetooth to play music or just hands free calling. I guess the AUX connection is my only option. Don't know why the usb doesn't work. Is in plug a flash drive in there it works fine but not the phone. Maybe I'll check about that as w. Thanks again for the suggestions

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I had a New Nissan which had this feature (AD2P I believe) but I was surprised after trading it in, the new BMW didn't have this feature, it had all the features under the sun, hands free, telematics etc but no Bluetooth media. I can connect to the 3.5mm ipod jack but I just use a 16gb flash drive to the USB instead of my phone.

Last edited:

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had a New Nissan which had this feature (AD2P I believe) but I was surprised after trading it in, the new BMW didn't have this feature, it had all the features under the sun, hands free, tekematics etc but no Bluetooth media. I can connect to the 3.5mm ipod jack but I just use a 16gb flash drive to the USB instead of my phone.

What year and model? AFAIK depending on the model year things could vary. My 2012 335i did not have streaming media over bluetooth out of the box and I didn't bother with buying or coding it for enhanced bluetooth. My 2015 435i GC has streaming bluetooth media as a standard without the need for enhanced bluetooth to get media playback over bluetooth.

As for OP's surprise that USB connectivity doesn't work with Android devices I'm not that surprised. Typically when connected over USB an Android device acts differently than a standard USB flash/hard drive and instead will act as a media device to PC's. A lot of vehicles are set up to either deal with iPod support or standard USB flash storage support but not the media device kind of thing that these phones show up as. I suppose it's hit/miss but I haven't had any hits (though I admittedly haven't tried it in more than a few vehicles).

Usafff04

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
It sucks but general motors has different levels of radios that they install in their vehicles. I too ran into this issue with my 2015 traverse. The high end models tend to have all the features available (Cadillac, LTZ, Denali, and other specialty trim levels.

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
What year and model? AFAIK depending on the model year things could vary. My 2012 335i did not have streaming media over bluetooth out of the box and I didn't bother with buying or coding it for enhanced bluetooth. My 2015 435i GC has streaming bluetooth media as a standard without the need for enhanced bluetooth to get media playback over bluetooth.

As for OP's surprise that USB connectivity doesn't work with Android devices I'm not that surprised. Typically when connected over USB an Android device acts differently than a standard USB flash/hard drive and instead will act as a media device to PC's. A lot of vehicles are set up to either deal with iPod support or standard USB flash storage support but not the media device kind of thing that these phones show up as. I suppose it's hit/miss but I haven't had any hits (though I admittedly haven't tried it in more than a few vehicles).
Yeah it's a 320d Exclusive, the telematics and Bluetooth work ok though.

Suespoon

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Similar issue for me but should be easy! I have a 2011 car and an aux facility that I use on my ipod. Plug in and listen to my music....easy! Why doesn't it work with my Note 4????? Help!

Rick Swiatek

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Some of the newer GM vehicles the Bluetooth is only supported for hands free calling and not media. My father and brother both have this issue they talked to a GM rep and it had something to do with the onstar in there suvs. If they purchase a monthly plan for onstar it would work for media.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol