Battery drain issues, no fixes help, IDEAS PLS

transamgrrl

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Had this problem with my S5, now with my Note 4. I used Smart Switch to transfer my stuff over, apparently I transferred the problem too. My husband is using the S5 now, and the battery lasts him over 24 hours. I'm lucky to get 10, out of either phone. I've read every thread I can find about this, tried all fixes, and battery monitor apps. Nothing pops as being the culprit. Android system, OS uses the most resources. I have all features turned off like motion and gestures. Deleted apps like FB, messenger, Amazon. WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth always off. Limited to 1 background process. I've gone into everything like Google Apps and turned off everything that syncs, and location services. Killed every service and process I can. I only surf the web and read e-books. My husband is using YouTube and FB all day, yet his battery lasts twice as long at least, on the same phone. I basically can't use any of the features I got this phone for, or my favorite apps, and still have to charge twice a day. What am I missing here?

Zachary Boddy

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It could be as simple as a bug with restoring using Smart Switch. Would you consider factory resetting your phone and starting from scratch?

Cavboygt

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Factory reset, download one app monitor your app one at a time or best buy samsung center or Samsung repair center in texas tel# 18553355922 good luck. My battery last 5am to 12am you tube, call, text, games, fb, tw and insta.

Posted via the Android Central App

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Had this problem with my S5, now with my Note 4. I used Smart Switch to transfer my stuff over, apparently I transferred the problem too. My husband is using the S5 now, and the battery lasts him over 24 hours. I'm lucky to get 10, out of either phone. I've read every thread I can find about this, tried all fixes, and battery monitor apps. Nothing pops as being the culprit. Android system, OS uses the most resources. I have all features turned off like motion and gestures. Deleted apps like FB, messenger, Amazon. WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth always off. Limited to 1 background process. I've gone into everything like Google Apps and turned off everything that syncs, and location services. Killed every service and process I can. I only surf the web and read e-books. My husband is using YouTube and FB all day, yet his battery lasts twice as long at least, on the same phone. I basically can't use any of the features I got this phone for, or my favorite apps, and still have to charge twice a day. What am I missing here?
Sounds to me like one or more of your favorite applications is to blame. Factory reset and install only a few applications at a time allowing the device to settle in a few hours between each batch until you find out which. I would refrain from doing restoration of data until I found the source of the issue.

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Could it possibly be a bad sd card? Sometimes if the sd card is full or corrupt, the Android System will continually try to scan and read everything from it, resulting in high usage and therefor killing your battery quickly.

Posted via the Android Central App

transamgrrl

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I did format my SD card, indexing service popped up as using quite a bit of resources. Did another reset. All my app data was backed up to Google and Samsung, so all my apps got reinstalled even though I only selected a couple. Battery drain for 5 hours idle was 15%, another 7% over the last hour just checking email. Better than it was, but still not great. Is there a way to get Google and Samsung to not reinstall everything besides not signing in?

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes, when you factory reset and are running through the initial setup answer no to automatic backup. Also, if indexing service never settles down something is wrong with the card, either a bad card or corrupt file. I'd reset again, run through setup without backup and phone sit for a few hours with the card in to index, if indexing settles down proceed to install applications in small batches.

transamgrrl

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I thought I did select no to everything, especially to restoring any previous backup files. Must have missed something, I should have realized something went wrong there when it asked what apps to reinstall from the list of the apps I'd had before.
I'll definitely be keeping an eye on that SD card. Wouldn't be the first card I've had go bad and cause problems.

transamgrrl

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Turns out the battery was getting weak. A new battery is giving me 22-24 hours. Swap in the old battery, and it only lasts 8-10 hours.