Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Won't Turn On. Blinking Battery on Screen, What can I do?

refinedantimony

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Won't Turn On. Blinking Battery on Screen

My Galaxy Note 4 has been turning off and on randomly for about a week new. I've had it for about a month and I bought it from amazon.

About an hour ago it suddenly turned of and I couldn't turn it back on. It had about 30% battery left. I took out the battery, tried holding down a lot of variations of vol up/down home button and soft resetting, and nothing turns it on.

I plugged the charger in and the screen flashed an empty battery with the charging symbol every few seconds. I tried to turn it on again and now it's gona back to doing nothing.

I've tried a lot of searches but nothing really fits my criteria and I haven't found any answers. Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Won't Turn On. Blinking Battery on Screen

Mod Note, I will move this to the n4 forums for more visibility

refinedantimony

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

Update: After trying multiple times I finally got it to boot in recovery mode, but now it's stuck in a boot loop. I've tried clearing the cache and factory resetting and neither worked. It doesn't shut off unless I interact with it; but as soon as I start going through the initial setup it restarts.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

There are many threads about battery issues with devices 6 months and older. Users reporting devices shutting off with 30 or 40 percent battery left. So the first thing i would try is a replacement battery. If that fails we can try to trouble shoot further.

refinedantimony

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

There are many threads about battery issues with devices 6 months and older. Users reporting devices shutting off with 30 or 40 percent battery left. So the first thing i would try is a replacement battery. If that fails we can try to trouble shoot further.

When I did get it to turn on for a minute without endlessly booting I saw that the battery was fully charge, if that makes any difference, but I think I'll order a new one just to be sure.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

if the battery is going bad it can show false readings. The voltage may be high/normal but as soon as your put a load on it it will shut off.

refinedantimony

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site

I bought a replacement battery and charged it in a travel charger for about an hour and it still isn't working.

The phone doesn't work at all unless connected to a charger. It won't go into recovery mode or download mode or anything. When I put it on a charger it blinks the empty gray battery with a lightning bolt and that's the only time I can get it to turn on. I've tried clearing the cache again and doing another system restore. When I system restore & reboot through the recovery menu, it turns on and does the initial setup, but it restarts after about 30 seconds every time. I've tried using a different charger, taking the battery out, and taking the sim card out. Nothing makes a difference.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

I bought a replacement battery and charged it in a travel charger for about an hour and it still isn't working.

The phone doesn't work at all unless connected to a charger. It won't go into recovery mode or download mode or anything. When I put it on a charger it blinks the empty gray battery with a lightning bolt and that's the only time I can get it to turn on. I've tried clearing the cache again and doing another system restore. When I system restore & reboot through the recovery menu, it turns on and does the initial setup, but it restarts after about 30 seconds every time. I've tried using a different charger, taking the battery out, and taking the sim card out. Nothing makes a difference.

Sounds like it's warranty time. Did you buy it directly from Amazon, or one of the marketplace sellers? I think you can exchange it if it's only been a month and you bought it from Amazon - but I'd contact them ASAP and ask.

sarabeth2005

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi! I realize this post is 10 months old, but I am having the same problem!! I could not find any other posts or troubleshooting guides describing this exact issue. What did you end up doing?!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What did you end up doing?!
The OP has exactly 4 posts to this forum... all to this thread. That and the fact that this thread is 10 months old... it's unlikely he'll reply to your question.

When you say you're having the same problem, do you also mean you tried a new battery and the problem still persists? It would help greatly if you tell people what you've done/tried so far.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site

I had the same problem. But mine was I think it's totally dead. I took it into T-Mobile and tested the battery, it worked fine in another N4 but not mine. Its a coaster right now. Its been like that for 3 days with no power of any kind. I got it on eBay and now I'm fighting PayPal to refund my money. I had it a week when all the loop and reboot problems was going on.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
That's the problem with ebay stuff... so hard to tell what you're getting. Some people have good luck, some don't. Good luck with Paypal... hope you get refunded.

sicktricky

Nov 24, 2016
Visit site
created an account just to reply to this old post.
had a pirate battery in note 4
tried all this told here.
still had my original battery.
boom working.

The battery is faulty and dont use cheap pirate batteries. done.

lee6666

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
I am having same phone issues also bought from ebay. I havent yet contacted paypal but curious what your issue was or how was it resolved?

lee6666

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site

Curious how this was resolved? I am having the same problems also bought through ebay. Havent contacted paypal yet waiting for the seller to respond.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I am having same phone issues also bought from ebay. I havent yet contacted paypal but curious what your issue was or how was it resolved?

Depends on the person, but most people tend to find that this sort of behavior is a failing battery, and a new battery fixes it. However, eBay has quite a few counterfeit batteries and outright counterfeit phones. If the phone arrived to you not working properly, your best bet is to simply return it for a refund, so the seller can't string you out past the refund period by sending $2 counterfeit batteries and taking weeks to ship them.

timoat

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
you might try installing Wake Lock and setting it to level 4 as soon as the phone boots up. take out the battery and hold the power button down for 1 min. (unplugged) resinsert the battery and try powering up. if it doesn't work, repeat until it does. it might take 20 or 30 tries. immediate find Wake Lock and start it. you can install wake lock remotely from a desktop if you're lucky.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital