When is Note 4 getting Marshmallow update?

min_is_3

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't really care if my Note 4 never sees Marshmallow.

5.1.1 is running so nicely on it and there's nothing in Marshmallow that i would really like to have.

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
5.1.1 is fine besides some weird bugs, but I still want 6. Hopefully I'll have moved to nexus or something besides samung by then though, because I'm getting sick of Verizon and Samsung deciding to take things away from my phone that I want to have that the other carries have.

Posted via the Android Central App

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Pffttttt... I don't know what to think.

For a supposedly previous "flagship" device, the Note 4 got treated like pure and utter garbage, especially on Verizon. I don't want to switch to a Google phone to get updates in a timely manner. Marshmallow is THE update I am looking forward to. Doze, App Standby, App Permissions. That alone is worth the update. And at this point if Samsung doesn't move the Note 4 to Touchwiz Nature UX 5.0 in Marshmallow, I'm jumping ship. Why? Lower budget phones have received the updated interface, but yet, the second best in the Note lineup does not? Why spend so much money on a phone to receive one update a year, then be left behind?

It's too much. Slow updates, and no updated interface? That's a big no-no. This is not a Note 2, it's a Note 4.

The iPhone 4S freaking runs iOS 9 (albeit not optimally, but it still runs it with the updated UI at least) a phone from freaking 2011...
The Note 4 is not even 2 years old yet. The Note 3 and Galaxy S4 are still capable phones, and are already getting left in the dust?

That is one thing that Apple does right. Gets it's updates to all of it's compatible devices at ONCE. I wouldn't be as upset, but the fact that 4 months ago the Note 4 was THE "flagship" to have. Terrible user support.

I'm trying to hang on but it's just by a thread. The iPhone 7 Plus is looking more attractive at this point (whenever it's due to release), at least support is quick and swift. One single interface for all devices even if older ones may miss out on some newer features, which is to be expected.

kgk1985

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

For a supposedly previous "flagship" device, the Note 4 got treated like pure and utter garbage, especially on Verizon. I don't want to switch to a Google phone to get updates in a timely manner. Marshmallow is THE update I am looking forward to. Doze, App Standby, App Permissions. That alone is worth the update. And at this point if Samsung doesn't move the Note 4 to Touchwiz Nature UX 5.0 in Marshmallow, I'm jumping ship. Why? Lower budget phones have received the updated interface, but yet, the second best in the Note lineup does not? Why spend so much money on a phone to receive one update a year, then be left behind?

It's too much. Slow updates, and no updated interface? That's a big no-no. This is not a Note 2, it's a Note 4.

The iPhone 4S freaking runs iOS 9 (albeit not optimally, but it still runs it with the updated UI at least) a phone from freaking 2011...
The Note 4 is not even 2 years old yet. The Note 3 and Galaxy S4 are still capable phones, and are already getting left in the dust?

That is one thing that Apple does right. Gets it's updates to all of it's compatible devices at ONCE. I wouldn't be as upset, but the fact that 4 months ago the Note 4 was THE "flagship" to have. Terrible user support.

I'm trying to hang on but it's just by a thread. The iPhone 7 Plus is looking more attractive at this point (whenever it's due to release), at least support is quick and swift. One single interface for all devices even if older ones may miss out on some newer features, which is to be expected.

The reason behind the Apple is because they only have 1 set of hardware per generation to program around. Not 6 different manufacturers making 12 different phones

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I understand that, but 8 months is a really freaking long time for an update. Way too long if you ask me.

Verizon customers didn't see 5.1. until January this year? An OS released March of 2015? The Note 4 was the flagship of the time. That is more than ridiculous and inexcusable. AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile saw their updates way before then. So because we were "just" updated to 5.1.1, that means we won't see Marshmallow until post New Year 2017. That's horrible support. Love the phone, hate the support, if you could even call it that.

Edit: So that leaves me with leave the carrier, or leave Samsung altogether. I don't want to do either because I invested over $900 to purchase this phone outright so I can keep my dedicated discount. I don't think two years of good support is asking for too much.

daehttub01

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Radeon: Your ID indicates that you might be the tech type that likes to tinker and builds his/her own liquid cooled gaming monster. You might want to visit the xda forum for custom ROM's for the GN4. I fear that Samsung is pushing planned obsolescence to generate new sales. Hence the elimination of the replaceable battery and the miserable state of updates. I dislike the absence of a night/dark mode in lollipop and hate the blinding battery killing white background themes and am entertaining any custom ROM that might fix that and give me that nifty quick s-pen Note feature of the GN5 when the phone is off/locked. I would like Marshmallow to come to the GN4 to save me the trouble but it probably will not happen any time soon.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site

I agree 100% with this. As an Apple convert myself, I knew going in that there would be some stability issues with Android that you just don't experience with iOS, but I had no idea that Android updates would be so slow to be pushed out, if they ever are.

I expected some hiccups with Android that I didn't have with iPhone. The great thing about Apple products is that 100% of their devices are designed by Apple. But iPhones are, admittedly, limited in their overall functionality in comparison to many Android devices, especially powerhouse phones like the Note. And that's what drew me in.

All in all, I'll likely stick with Android/Note phones for the foreseeable future. I upgrade phones between the 2 and 3 year mark, so even if I don't get the latest and greatest Android OS, it's not like I'll be left out in the cold forever. I admit though that if Apple ever put out a phone that was extremely comparable to the Note (the iNote?), I'd probably go back to Apple in an instant.

guitarskoota

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I really wish we would find out soon. I'm due to factory reset my phone, but don't want to reset it, get everything set back up, and then have the update roll out a month later. I'd rather do the update and then reset. After my contract is up this fall though I will be leaving Verizon, probably going to take my phone to straight talk. I'll stay on the Note 4 for a while until Samsung get their crap together and releases a phone with more than 32gb base storage, an SD card, and the ability to use adoptable storage.

Mr-Guy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
The update is carrier specific, Sprint tends to be one of the first out...mine is updated 3 days ago now. Love it too

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay