Audio "Playback Time"

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, I have a minor concern about Audio Playback for the Galaxy Note 4.

For some reason, it seems like playing Audio is just a HUGE battery drain for no reason. I feel it shouldn't be this way at all. According to the website the Note 4 should be getting "up to" 80 hours of Audio Playback. I understand that figure is a little unrealistic, but I am not even getting HALF of that. I'm barely even seeing a quarter.

Steps I've taken so far.
Updated to latest OS.
Did a clean install.
Cleared the cache partition.
Made sure there are no "running" apps besides music.
I even turned Airplane Mode on (which defeats the purpose of having the phone, but I'm just doing this for testing purposes)
Installed a new battery (3 cycles in)

So even after all of that the battery seems to be sipping away at a rate that's about 1% every 10-15 minutes which seems a little excessive for simple music playback and nothing else.

My iPod Touch 6 and iPhone 6 under these same conditions can easily run about 25-30+ minutes per 1% tick which ironically places them at 40 hours and 50 hours respectively; the same number quoted by Apple.The Note 4 ideally should be able to run roughly 50 minutes per tick, but it doesn't, at least not for me.

I actually enjoy the quality of music provided by the Note 4, but the way it sips battery just from playing music isn't attractive. I know, you can swap the battery (which I did), quick charge, etc. But these numbers are WAY off and am wondering if this is a universal thing.

Additional notes:
Stock music app.
Equalizer is on. (Didn't really see a difference with it off.)

Something I just noticed before posting: Music and "Media Server" seems to have high "Stay Awake" times. Now I'm no expert but I do know usually you'd want the lowest Stay Awake time possible. Does the CPU really need to be running at full blast to play Audio?

Sasha Kaplan

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
Try different app to play your music.
Then you can compare the battery usage and maybe figure out what's wrong

Posted via the Android Central App

RadeonHD

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
I have tried that, not only are the other music players clunkier for my taste, they seem to sip a little bit more than stock. So at this point I've figured out the "problem."

In the attached as you can see during my sleep, I left music playing hence the super long "Stay Awake" time. Does anyone know why the phone can't go into a deep sleep? Being awake for so long has is having a negative impact on battery. I went to bed at 4 AM with 68%, woke up at 11 AM with 51% ;_;
17% in 7 hours during AIRPLANE Mode with no other apps running.

Is this a bug, or is this how Android intends to handle this process? If it's the latter, I guess I'll just stick to playing music only on my iPod / iPhone, though I do like the sound quality of the Note 4.

Screenshot_2016-02-28-11-44-26.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech