Use Google Maps in Car Mode

6DOF

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
It used to be possible to use Google Maps in Car Mode, but I got a replacement for my N4 and don't see it as an option anywhere. Does anyone know if this is still an option and how to set it? If not, can you recommend a hands free app that works well on this phone?

Thanks!

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
1st check the notification shade for "car mode". If its not there, download it from the Samsung Galaxy apps in Samsung app store. It may be called driving mode there.

6DOF

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
It is in the notification shade and I can enable car mode, but I cannot set the Navigation to use Google Maps. I believe it used to be a setting in the MORE tab in the upper right corner (when in car mode), but I don't see it as an option.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
In 5.1.1 the "more" option is still there2016-03-21 09.12.07.jpg.
Suggest you go to settings>application manager >car mode and clear its cache. If you don't have important waypoints stored, clear data as well. Then still in apps manager disable car mode.
Do the same for Google maps. Then restart your device. You will probably be invited to update car mode and google maps. If so do it. Then start car mode again and setup. It should default to google maps.

6DOF

Mar 19, 2016
Visit site
Honestly I didn't think this would work, but it was worth a try and it did work. Thanks so much for your reply. I travel a lot and use Car Mode frequently.

Here's before:
View attachment 221361

And here is after clearing the data, disabling Maps (disabling Car Mode wasn't an option, it was grayed out), restarting and enabling Maps.
View attachment 221362

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki