Quick Marshmallow review

Shamrock_627

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I mostly like it. It has a lot of pros and just a couple cons.

Pros:
Seems snappier, I have no lag in the multi window screen, even apps open faster.
FIXED the fingerprint scanner throwing you back to the lock screen! YAHOO!
FIXED the wifi connecting. It always told me there was a faster connection available and shot be back to my LTE network.
Haven't had to factory reset or wipe the cache partition
Individual permissions!
So far, it seems like battery life is pretty good (had 6.01 for 5 hours now, and played a game for 15 mins (Walking Robots, high res) and only lost 14%)
Can ADD shortcuts to Air Command now (could you on Android 5?)
Seems like the network radio has been boosted (or shown correctly now). I used to get 1 bar in my bedroom, now I am showing 4.
Most definitely the speaker is louder.

Cons:
Great oogly moogly the icons are cartoony ugly!
No themes!

Overalll I'm happy!

evohicks

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that ☺
No you can't add shortcuts to air command on 5.1, seems like a worthwhile update, hope we (unlocked UK) get it soon.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I too am quite happy with Marshmellow so far. The download was flawless, the install went perfectly and for me nothing I do broke in the transition. I use the camera quite a bit and I've seen no real changes here.

The only negative I have is the new icons. I'd really like to be able to change the application folder icon, the rest I guess I can live with. Really don't want to change launchers if I don't have to to accomplish this. I have to say the icons look a bit iPhone(ish).

A big thank you to the development team as they have created a real good balance between performance and functionality.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mr-Guy

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I saw that my battery drain went waaaay down overnight after the update.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I saw that my battery drain went waaaay down overnight after the update.

That would be DOZE kicking in. Looking forward to getting marshmallow on my Note 4 and GS6. Been using it a while on my GPE M8 and Nexus 6.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
gave up my note 4 for a m9, big mistakes...

miss the size and external battery and all that crap I bought for it for a portable oven with a bad screen.

Never again.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Does your note on MM have the following features:
- Scroll capture (This is valuable)
- Ability to take notes pulling out pen on blank locked screen
- Is the finger reader to unlock any better?.

taife32

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I mostly like it. It has a lot of pros and just a couple cons.

Pros:
Seems snappier, I have no lag in the multi window screen, even apps open faster.
FIXED the fingerprint scanner throwing you back to the lock screen! YAHOO!
FIXED the wifi connecting. It always told me there was a faster connection available and shot be back to my LTE network.
Haven't had to factory reset or wipe the cache partition
Individual permissions!
So far, it seems like battery life is pretty good (had 6.01 for 5 hours now, and played a game for 15 mins (Walking Robots, high res) and only lost 14%)
Can ADD shortcuts to Air Command now (could you on Android 5?)
Seems like the network radio has been boosted (or shown correctly now). I used to get 1 bar in my bedroom, now I am showing 4.
Most definitely the speaker is louder.

Cons:
Great oogly moogly the icons are cartoony ugly!
No themes!

Overalll I'm happy!

What version of Note 4 are you running?

al3azim

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the update. Does your note on MM have the following features:

- Scroll capture (This is valuable) -- Yes it is now available
- Ability to take notes pulling out pen on blank locked screen - Yes this is also available
- Is the finger reader to unlock any better? - Yes seems a bit better but personally do not use finger scanner.

Last edited:

jreuschl

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Technically there's no difference on signal strength. Sprint changed the algorithm in bars/signal level. It is more accurate now (before -100db resulted in only 1 bar), however it might be a little too high because you can show multiple bars and then drop to 3G.

Sprint has done this on recent updates to all phones.

Plus there is more real estate on the top bar because the Wal-Mart Spark Spinner is gone.

anon(2383976)

May 10, 2012
Visit site
- Scroll capture (This is valuable) -- Yes it is now available
- Ability to take notes pulling out pen on blank locked screen - Yes this is also available
- Is the finger reader to unlock any better? - Yes seems a bit better but personally do not use finger scanner.

Awesome. How about Samsung pay? .

berryabusr88

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I saw a video on YouTube of someone running through the update. Samsung has officially killed the note 4. It basically has bare bones marshmallow. No 2016 touch wiz. It has note 5 lollipop touch wiz. What a joke.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
What about the Camera - Gallery lag? Still there?
Amazed to see this is still an issue with some folks.

I posted this video 6 months ago to show there is very minimal Camera - Gallery lag on my Note 4. The subject came up on how slow the Note 4 was compared to the Note 5. When I compared my phone with a Note 5 in Bestbuy, I couldn't decide which was faster. In the video, you can tell how fast the gallery launches when the icons at the top of the screen change. Also note that I purposely showed there were no recent apps running, which means the camera and gallery weren't already in ram.

I think any lag you might be seeing is caused by syncing or some such thing. You might try turning off any gallery sync and testing your phone again. Or, if you plan to do a factory reset after your MM update, test it before you install/update any apps, or turn on sync... at the very least, you'll be able to tell if your phone is actually lagging.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...%3A%2F%2Fvimeo.com%2F139033682&token=K3ziBHEA

ericp74#CB

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I updated this morning. So far battery life seems to be worst. Lost 14% in 35 mins and only made 2 calls and read this post. Besides the icons being rounded and S Pen changes not much is different. Also notice the fingerprint scanner doesn't work after restart and need to put in my password to open. Still notice the same lag in applications and gallery.

Overall disappointed. .

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Someone just posted to the S6 forum that Sprint put their branding... "Sprint"... up in the left corner at the top of the screen with the MM update. It only disappears when a notification comes in. Are you guys seeing this on your phones?

Verizon did this to Note 4's when they went from Kitkat to Lollipop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2