Adding a ring tone to the NOTIFICATIONS ringtones ?

priskaj

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
well, hello :)
the title says it all, I have always used cheeper for WhatsApp and can only add it to the main ringtones list.
anyone knows a way around ?
thanks

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Install ES File Explorer from the Playstore.
Put your ringtone in a one of your folders... or make a new folder for your ringtone somewhere.
Go to Sound > Notifications
With ES File explorer installed, you should be asked to choose what app to complete the task. Just choose ES... you might want to choose "Just Once".
Browse to your ringtone and select it and it'll be added to the list of notification sounds... then you can choose to use it.

priskaj

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
THANKS NAHOKU that worked ! :)

but I have a new problem.... :'(
I guess I'll have to open a new thread, but in case you know a solution, here it is :

I always used cheeper for WhatsApp and an other sound for other notifications
now that cheeper is in my list, I can select it fine
BUT I can either use it for ALL notifications or not at all
it's not this particular ringtone which is the problem now
it just seems that my Galaxy Note 4 will overule all my choices and only use the tone selected in "notifications"
seems like a bug to me :mad:
the thing is bran new....
any ideas around this ?

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
THANKS NAHOKU that worked ! :)

but I have a new problem.... :'(
I guess I'll have to open a new thread, but in case you know a solution, here it is :

I always used cheeper for WhatsApp and an other sound for other notifications
now that cheeper is in my list, I can select it fine
BUT I can either use it for ALL notifications or not at all
it's not this particular ringtone which is the problem now
it just seems that my Galaxy Note 4 will overule all my choices and only use the tone selected in "notifications"
seems like a bug to me :mad:
the thing is bran new....
any ideas around this ?
You're welcome.

From what I know, there's only one choice for notifications. I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to explain but if you're looking to have like one notification for text and another for email, I'm not sure it's possible. There are quite a few threads about having different notification sounds for different things and I don't know if anyone found any way around it. You might try searching the forum as I can't recall exactly how those threads turned out. Or, are you saying that now "all" sounds are the same... for notifications and for incoming calls?

priskaj

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
You're welcome.

There are quite a few threads about having different notification sounds for different things ........ Or, are you saying that now "all" sounds are the same... for notifications and for incoming calls?

hello again !
I'll look for those threads and eventually make a new one

to clarify my question, notifications and incoming calls each have their own ringtone, no worry there

but on my Galaxy Note GT-N7000 (android 4.1.2) I have a specific tone for WhatsApp and an other one for the other notifications

now I have the Galaxy Note 4 (android 5.1.1) and even though it's possible to select different tones, it just does not work, the tone selected for "notifications" overules and the specified tone for WA (for instance) just does not sound :(

dunno whether I have been clear this time, but thanks again for your interest
have a good day :)

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I got what you mean now. Thanks for re-explaining it!

Unfortunately, I don't use any social media apps on my Note 4. I don't even email from it. So the only notifications I get is messaging... which of course uses just the one tone I chose for notification.

It's kind of curious that WhatsApp can choose a ringtone but not be able to play it. Have you tried copying the ringtone you want to use for WA and placing it into a different folder and have WA browse to that folder and choose it as the ringtone? I'm assuming maybe you're using a system ringtone for WA right now and maybe the system just doesn't like it since your current notification ringtone is being used system wide. Or, how about trying to select a song from your media folder as the ringtone for WA. I'm just trying to find out if something will work from a separate folder other than where the system gets it's ringtone. I'm just pulling at strings here!

You know, this post of yours has gotten 560 reads. You and I are the only participants. Hate to say it, but this doesn't bode well for another thread on the subject. :(

priskaj

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
You know, this post of yours has gotten 560 reads. You and I are the only participants. Hate to say it, but this doesn't bode well for another thread on the subject.

you're right, but it will not stop me from trying !!!!

now, placing a ringtone for WhatsApp in a different folder is just what I first did (with cheeper) - it did not work and I figured it was because this ringtone was not in the "notifications" folder - and you helped me place it in that particular folder... still no go

I now use cheeper for all notifications, thanks !

but I also tested with random tones from the "notifications" folder and got the same result : WhatsApp selection just does not work

so earlier android version offered this very useful possibility and not this somewhat later version ?
I'm disappointed !!!!!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
you're right, but it will not stop me from trying !!!!
Understood!

Very weird. You would think that WA being a non-system app wouldn't have to use the system notification sound. One thing you might try is contacting the dev for WA to see if he can implement a change to have WA use it's own notification. I don't know if it's possible though, but you would think WA still needs to process everything through it, so whats so difficult of having that trigger a sound byte. Hmmm... come to think of it, I guess it's already doing that since you can choose a different sound... just that it won't play!

so earlier android version offered this very useful possibility and not this somewhat later version ?
I'm disappointed !!!!!!
It seems Samsung removing capabilities from their phones, rather than adding stuff like they used to, is the path they're on. When the Note 5 came out, no less than at least 12 to 14 things found on the Note 4 disappeared from it. Talk about disappointing! I'm very disappointed in the current path of Samsung, but I'm really glad I own the Note 4. It's the last "real" Note, in my opinion. The newer Notes are... well, ... iNotes! LOL!

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you! If/when you create your new thread, I hope someone can figure out how to make it work. You wouldn't think something like this would be so difficult.

priskaj

Mar 26, 2016
Visit site
I'll keep trying and will let you know of my success (positive thinking !!!!) :D

but I know just what you mean about the iNotes...
I own an early Galaxy Note GT-N7000 and it has faithfully worked for years, still does - but I ran out of space for new apps and had to look for a replacement - the Note 4 was the only one with appeal even though it has been out a while

but I really miss the sober elegance of the layouts in the old model
who can possibly have selected the ORANGE color which occupies 1/4 of the sms page on the Note 4 ????
and why does each notification have to come in a large band of white across the screen ?

well, well, let's stop grumbling and see what can be changed !!!!
cheers

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll keep trying and will let you know of my success (positive thinking !!!!)
Please do. I'm sure other people with this problem will appreciate it greatly.

but I really miss the sober elegance of the layouts in the old model
who can possibly have selected the ORANGE color which occupies 1/4 of the sms page on the Note 4 ????
and why does each notification have to come in a large band of white across the screen ?
Yes! This is why I reverted my Note 4 to Kitkat when Lollipop first came out. I don't have to deal with any Orange, or what I call the "blinding white" found in Lollipop and beyond.

Good luck! I wish you success!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaydenWhitfield