Post Marshmallow update

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
After the update I noticed a Sprint branding in the notification bar(both on the home and lock screens)? Is there a way to remove?

Also speaking of notification bar, did Samsung take away some of the Marshmallow features such as the battery percentage on the actual battery instead of next to it, and the ability to decide which icons show on the notification bar?

Attachments

• 1459085955917.jpg
    1459085955917.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 135

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think one only sees the branding at startup and if really nothing else is running at all.. Once something else starts it goes away.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
The Marshmellow update must be great since all I see is complaints about the branding. Come on folks this is all advertsing and marketing. It is all over everything you own. Look at you home, your car and for that matter almost everthing you buy. Take a look at the labels on your clothes. You are probably working for a company that has their logo on the tee-shirt you are wearing.

To make this post legitimate my only issue with Marshmellow is not having a theme store and being told the only way to change the ugly iPhone(ish) icons is to install a new launcher.

Posted via the Android Central App

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Or you could use the CocoPPa app to change your icons. A lot of them are extremely girly but if you search by color and specific app they aren't so bad :)

Thanks so much. I'm really looking to just change the basic folder icon. The rest I'll live with. Again, thank you.

Nitro211K

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
The Marshmellow update must be great since all I see is complaints about the branding. Come on folks this is all advertsing and marketing. It is all over everything you own. Look at you home, your car and for that matter almost everthing you buy. Take a look at the labels on your clothes. You are probably working for a company that has their logo on the tee-shirt you are wearing.

To make this post legitimate my only issue with Marshmellow is not having a theme store and being told the only way to change the ugly iPhone(ish) icons is to install a new launcher.

I didn't realize that it was marketing and advertising, but now that you explained it to us less intelligent folks, this makes it all OK for Sprint to force it down our throat. In other news, research shows that water is wet.

Just for the record I do remove the tags of my shirts, and car, because I can, and just wondered if the same can be done here, since some people are not seeing the same branding on their Sprint phone after the update. (see 2nd post in this thread).

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say I liked it but it's there and seems it cannot be removed. The reason I don't see it on mine is that one of my apps (1Weather ) writes over it. My other thought is if you root the device, it may be removable.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
In talking about the Sprint Logo, another thought comes to mind. Even if we were able technically to remove it, it may be illegal based on something like copyright infringement or the like. Of course no one will ever come to look at your phone, but the illegality may still be there.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I really don't think there are any legal consequences with removing the Sprint banner (at this level)... like you said, your weather app is already doing that. The OP just wants the "option" to hide the banner permanently and Sprint, or whichever carrier, should allow it, or push an update to get rid of it. It's useless, stupid, unnecessary, and takes up space! This is what happens when manufactures push stuff into our faces we don't want. It pisses people off! It's actually one of the reasons I reverted to Kitkat from Lollipop... Verizon did the very same thing with their banner in the top left corner and I hated it.

I'm sure you must have noticed that thread about the "Ugly Orange Messages in Lollipop"... imagine that it almost has 1/2 million views just because someone is unhappy with the color of messaging. I don't blame him one bit! I'm sure if there were some way to fix that system folder that's bothering you, it would make you very happy! That's all the OP wants... options! We all want options!

sailormon

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
This is just to throw out for those folks on Verizon unlimited whom use foxfi. I like the update as I put it on my wife's phone first, I took a chance of losing fox fi and did mine. Fox works fine after download, yet uses a slightly different protocol to start. It seems the company was ahead of the game this time.

Seeing as Verizon is taking more money from unlimited users, we were not in their sights this time around and perhaps our numbers have dwindled so we are not much of a factor any longer. Download away.

jmagid51

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
I spoke to an attorney from Sprint today and was made aware that the removal (if it could be done of the Sprint logo) from anywhere on the device would at the least void any warranty for the device. This is just like the issue with rooting the device. Now I'm not the source here so don't shoot the messenger. I'm only reporting what I was told. As to an app like the weather app I have that covers the logo, I'm also told by the same attorney, it's done by agreement with the app developers. I was also told that not only Sprint does this but Verizon as well as AT&T also play the same way.

I had an interesting day to say the least. !!

Last edited:

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Just be glad that you got Marshmallow I'm still waiting for mine. So the logo branding it's the least of my concern :)