New charger?/Amazon

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I need a new charger and I was hoping to get a genuine oem charger with cable. There are several for a reasonable price on #Amazon but the reviews are crazy all over the place.

Half of the reviews on the same item say it's genuine, quick charges etc. The other half say it's fake, clearly a knock off, doesn't quick charge, broke when I plugged it in. Some have photos of a charger that doesn't even look like a Samsung charger.

It's like a roll of the dice whether you're getting what's advertised. I'm afraid to order one.

How do these shady sellers get to still sell through Amazon?

Recommendations?

Posted via the Android Central App

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I purchased THIS charger from Amazon. So far, I can't tell the difference from the one that came with my Note 4. It fast charges in about the same time. I also measured both chargers through a USB voltage/current meter while charging the phone, and both read basically the same voltage and current. At the same time, I also bought THIS spare battery and charger base. Battery seems to run fine and lasts about the same as my original. The charging base also works fine so far. Everything was purchased Aug 2015 and they're all still working as expected.

I have no idea if this is "true" OEM stuff and reviews on Amazon are also mixed. I always have a tough time filtering negative reviews and normally just purchase if it's a decent deal with a lot of positive reviews... then hope for the best. So far I've been pretty lucky. By the way, take this information as just that. YMMV!

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Right. Just interesting how obvious scam sellers get to sell through Amazon after several bad reviews.

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I purchased THIS charger from Amazon. So far, I can't tell the difference from the one that came with my Note 4. It fast charges in about the same time. I also measured both chargers through a USB voltage/current meter while charging the phone, and both read basically the same voltage and current. At the same time, I also bought THIS spare battery and charger base. Battery seems to run fine and lasts about the same as my original. The charging base also works fine so far. Everything was purchased Aug 2015 and they're all still working as expected.

The link you provided has the same type of one and two star reviews. "not a fast charger, UL listing not Samsung, caught fire, knock off, fake" etc.

FrigginCrap shoot man.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The link you provided has the same type of one and two star reviews. "not a fast charger, UL listing not Samsung, caught fire, knock off, fake" etc.

FrigginCrap shoot man.

Yup, it is a crap shoot and such is the case with almost every item on Amazon. You will not find many items that don't have negative reviews. I can tell you that it is a fast charger and I've had no problems with it since Aug last year. Whether it's "real" or not, I can't tell you. This --->>> YMMV!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Look for a charger that is:

- Qualcomm QuickCharge 2.0 certified. (this is "fast charge" on the Note 4)
- Eligible for Prime (Amazon tends to retain Prime relationships with people who don't make them look bad)
- Sold (if third party) by a seller with 98%+ and plenty of ratings.
- Has hundreds of reviews, overwhelmingly positive.

There are several brands that I would be willing to pay a few bucks extra for. Anker, Aukey, Tenergy, and a handful of others. You'll tend to find that those have massive positive reviews anyway.

Look at the negative reviews carefully, and see if any of them have been responded to. You'll tend to see for example with Anker that as soon as someone says "doesn't work - worthless junk" that an Anker rep is posting a boilerplate "please contact customer service so we may help you immediately and make you a happy customer again"

heavyvino

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I bought one that was claimed to be real Samsung but did not work. I weighed it and the one that came with my phone 6 grams lite. Cut it open and it was missing a piece, no complete circuit, I complained got a new charger but was not quick charger, at least I got something that worked was not on prime.

It was marked just like the one that came with it just had very slight differences, had to look close with them side by side to see them.

This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and eat meat in it.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
ShopAndroid also sells the Samsung adaptive fast charger for $26.95. It should be OEM but will probably come in a plastic bag as they seem to sell bulk items. I just recently bought a battery from them but it came with no case. Battery works well though.