Why does my Note4 no longer allow me to finger swipe at restart?

Avishkar Goordeen

Aug 16, 2015
Visit site
Its been like this a few weeks. Upon restart, there is a message that says:
"Unable to use fingerprints. Device restarted. Enter backup password, then fingerprints can be used next time device is locked"

So if I lock the phone after restart, I can unlock using fingerprints but not if I have switched the phone off.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I've heard it's part of Marshmallow. I don't like it either, but it's a minor inconvenience for now.

Posted via the Android Central App

taife32

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Its been like this a few weeks. Upon restart, there is a message that says:
"Unable to use fingerprints. Device restarted. Enter backup password, then fingerprints can be used next time device is locked"

So if I lock the phone after restart, I can unlock using fingerprints but not if I have switched the phone off.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

It's a safety feature. If someone stole your device and a fingerprint imprint they still can't open your phone once it's been switched off. Your lock code is Primary safety lock and your fingerprint is just for convenience.

Also imagine a situation where you've been arrested and your phone confiscated. The police can grab your finger later to unlock your device during interrogation but they have no way to make you tell them your lock code. Big chance is that your phone would have ran out of power and shut down, once that happen the police will be stuck with a locked device.

It's like almost the way smart lock works, where after many hours of no use (like overnight), your phone will self lock , requiring you to unlock it again so that it can again remain unlocked in a your safe environment.

So the implementation in marshmallow is not something to be fixed, it improvement in security. You see these devices are being used on pay points in stores now, so extra steps to secure them have become necessary.