T-Mobile Note 4 Marshmallow update

survargs

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
A lot of useful features with the new update but there is one missing S-Pen feature that I am not seeing and I am missing it already.
That is the "Air Menu" feature that would allow you to hover over that paperclip icon on the bottom left of your stock sms and automatically attach any of the last 3 recent media(screenshot, photo, etc...) instead of having to click on attach and then dig for it.

Just noticed that the following option is no longer available for my T-mobile note 4 after upgrading to android 6.0.1 marshmallow update.

In Android 5.0 Lollipop, the following Air View mode options used to be the following:

Air View mode, go to [Settings] – [S Pen] – [Air View]. In the Air View menu, there are five sub menus: Information preview, Icon labels, List scrolling, Link preview, and Air menu.

Now in Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow, all are available except Air menu which lets you attach or insert content to a message by just hovering the S-pen over the action button(which looks like a paperclip).

Any help in this would be greatly appreciated because this is really missed.

Thanks,

-Alex

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
My first install stalled and gave a "Failed installation" notice at 70% through Smart Switch and never recovered. It bricked my phone. The OTA download limit forbade me from anything else. Tuesday I had to buy a new phone. Got the OTA Wednesday and everything is fine now. I should have waited rather than to force it. Now I have an extra battery cover and battery and a Note 4 paperweight.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that.....that would really tick me off. You handled it better than I would have :eek:

kellyjdrummer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ouch! Sorry to hear that.....that would really tick me off. You handled it better than I would have :eek:
Thank you, but, it's just a phone. I was a little irritated, but the TMo store isn't so far away. They tried some resources I don't have or know about and were not able to recover it.

I got a new shiny phone and a clean install of Marshmallow out of it.
I'm good.

jackjack1969

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
Is it not possible to crop a photo on screen write with the s pen on marshmallow now? I can't seem to figure out how

Posted via the Android Central App

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still indicating it is up to date on 5.1.1

Also: tried kies and smart switch, and both said it was up to date.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

ogrfnkl

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I had been waiting with bated breath for this update to arrive, mainly because of the expected addition of the "Until next alarm" setting to the "Do not disturb" feature, but woe to me, no such luck! "Do not disturb" hasn't changed at all from Lollipop, and there is no "Until next alarm" option to be seen anywhere. What's going on, T-Mobile and Samsung? I have a really hard time using my alarm clock without this feature. Every once in a while, I forget to disable "Do not disturb" after I get up and then walk around half a day incommunicado, wondering why no one calls me. This is ridiculous! Doesn't T-Mobile realize how freakin' important this feature is to people?

Does anyone know anything about this issue?

Alcarnor14

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, an update: Kies, SmartSwitch, and the OTA updater all said "Up to date" on 5.1.1.

Did the Firmware Recovery/update in KIES: it loaded 6.0.1 and the July 2016 security update. So: it's now up to date. And on a factory clean image, too.

<shrug> Software lies, apparently.

RiaBrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Upgraded to Marshmallow yesterday. I'm noticing my battery is back to draining quickly. I've cleared the cache and force quit everything I don't use. Still, I can watch my battery go down.

Lollipop used to have "AirWakeUp," that let you wake your phone by waving your hand across the screen. I never used that, and found it to be a battery hog so I force quit it, and tried to disable it but it never worked. Every so often, I'd notice my battery draining quickly, check, and sure enough. AirWakeUp was enabled again and running.

I'd force quit it, and my battery life would return to normal. Meaning I'd take it off the charger anywhere between 7am and 8am, and it would last all day with moderate usage: 2-3 hours listening to music over Spotify, 2 hours or so of SOT, a few phone calls and text messages/Facebook messages. It would not need to be charged until bedtime between 10pm and 11pm.

Does anyone know if they have renamed AirWakeUp and if so, what is it??? I'm convinced that is what is causing my drain. I work tomorrow and I won't leave the house without my portable charger, just in case.

RiaBrown

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Also....has anyone noticed that you can't seem to force quit an app? Once you back out of settings, the app starts right back up again? There are several I don't use like Gear, Google+, the umpteen Google Plays. Books, Movies, etc. I force quit everything I don't use to salvage battery life, but how can I do that if the apps start running again? Some of them are running even after being disabled.

I'm not so sure Marshmallow is good for battery life. I'm almost certain that this is contributing to the quick drain. I did go in and turn off LTE, like another poster suggested in another thread, so hopefully that will help some. In Lollipop, Note 4 had a little thing called AirWakeUp that let you wake your phone by waving your hand over the screen. I don't use it, it drained my battery FAST, so I went in and force quit it (and disabled it) several times. In Marshmallow, that is gone. Yet my battery is still draining quickly as if it were on.

I'm still on a quest for battery solutions....

Last edited:

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Upgraded to Marshmallow yesterday. I'm noticing my battery is back to draining quickly. I've cleared the cache and force quit everything I don't use. Still, I can watch my battery go down.

Lollipop used to have "AirWakeUp," that let you wake your phone by waving your hand across the screen. I never used that, and found it to be a battery hog so I force quit it, and tried to disable it but it never worked. Every so often, I'd notice my battery draining quickly, check, and sure enough. AirWakeUp was enabled again and running.

I'd force quit it, and my battery life would return to normal. Meaning I'd take it off the charger anywhere between 7am and 8am, and it would last all day with moderate usage: 2-3 hours listening to music over Spotify, 2 hours or so of SOT, a few phone calls and text messages/Facebook messages. It would not need to be charged until bedtime between 10pm and 11pm.

Does anyone know if they have renamed AirWakeUp and if so, what is it??? I'm convinced that is what is causing my drain. I work tomorrow and I won't leave the house without my portable charger, just in case.

Unfortunately in the android world we currently live in, you need to do a factory reset after an operating system upgrade if you want it to work right. I know its irritating to hear and everybody says it, but if you want your upgrade to work right it needs to be done. I hated doing it as well but my phone went from unusable to pretty decent for 6 after the reset.
And the doze feature in android 6 is amazing when its working right....it will stretch your battery life out a huge amount when its working properly ;)