Verizon Marshmallow

Jhett

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
So I read on the main page that Verizon had pushed out a security update on Friday. (I THINK it was Friday. Whichever....) I went to grab that and it said that Android 6 (Marshmallow) was available. I went ahead with the download and install option. Is there anything I should be looking out for? The download is 41% complete. Should I cancel and run away? LOL. All joking aside, when did this update hit? I don't remember seeing anything about it.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
As to when, see THIS LINK. As to good information, see THIS LINK. As to best practices, EVERY time I have an update to a new OS (I have Sprint MM, BTW), I will ALWAYS BACKUP and factory reset my phone. You'll thank me. Short version: The install files to go from A to B (or in this case, L to M ;) ) make the registry all kinds of wonky. FR will help remove all the duplicate/erroneous registry entries. This has usefulness on batery life, app usage, etc. Happy "Dozing." Since i updated to M, I've turned on EVERYTHING except BT (Wi-Fi, GPS, smart Lock, etc.) and still get 1.5 days out of moderate usage and 2 out of light. It's AMAZING.

Jhett

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the information. Nice to hear that battery life may improve. I wonder how long I have been sitting on that upgrade. LOL....

pduffer

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
That was an update to the version of Marshmallow already pushed out a few weeks ago. I had already updated to Marshmallow and got the one Friday after that.

Lady Grinning Soul

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for those links above.

I understand the case for a full system reset, but what kind of backup would I need in order to get all my apps back after a reset, but that won't just effectively undo the advantages of a reset?

I have been using the Vz Cloud for backup, and the only things I backup are Contacts, Messages, and Call History. (Music and photos I backup manually and locally.)

What about the google accounts? Is there a way to actually do a backup of those? On the "Backup and reset" screen, there are are options, but nothing to initiate the actual backup.

sinfoman

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for those links above.

I understand the case for a full system reset, but what kind of backup would I need in order to get all my apps back after a reset, but that won't just effectively undo the advantages of a reset?

I have been using the Vz Cloud for backup, and the only things I backup are Contacts, Messages, and Call History. (Music and photos I backup manually and locally.)

What about the google accounts? Is there a way to actually do a backup of those? On the "Backup and reset" screen, there are are options, but nothing to initiate the actual backup.

Whoops- don't know why I didn't get a notification on this. Sorry. Have you fixed this issue? If not I can give you the "skinny"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz