OK Google voice response help/advice please

richlaustx

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
I had a Galaxy Note 3 for over two years but several weeks ago I was forced to upgrade to a Note 4 due to an app compatibility with new hearing aids. I transferred all my ​accounts, contacts and apps and everything seemed to be fine until I got around to using OK Google. My voice is recognized and Google returns appropriate answers to the screen but no longer speaks any responses. I have spent hours searching the internet for a solution and I believe I literally have tried EVERY solution short of killing all my apps to find a rogue app and doing a factory reset. I am not eager to do that at this point since I understand that the Marshmallow release is "coming soon" (AT&T).
Maybe I should just wait it out and see if a clean install of Marshmallow resolves the problem(?) Honestly, if I knew for certain that a factory reset would fix this I would probably do it anyway. I guess I am just skeptical.

Any confirmation from others with same hardware and carrier that they receive spoken response from OK Google or any thoughts or advice on a course of action would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pertinent information:
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 SM-N910A (AT&T)
Android Version 5.1.1
Running Google Now Launcher
Stock firmware - not rooted.

PS Google Maps speak directions as normal so I know it is not a speaker/volume issue.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Stupid question: do you have the media volume turned up? If not, you won't hear the spoken responses. :)

Not sure where Samsung puts it, but have a look at Settings -> Sounds & notifications.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I assume you are testing phrases that returned voice in the past?

For example, if I say "OK Google ... two plus two equals", I get a voice reply, "The answer is four."

However, many other phrases simply take me to search results page with no voice reply at all.

richlaustx

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
Yes. Simple questions like "What is the current temperature?" or "Will it rain today?" bring up the weather on screen but nothing is spoken.
I just realized that previous commands that had voice responses on my Note 3 like "OK Google, Set timer for 5 minutes" used to have a voice response acknowledgement but not with the Note 4. (Time is still set and it works but no voice feedback.)

richlaustx

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site
After many many hours of changing settings suddenly and inexplicably "OK Google" spoke to me this morning. Thank you to all who suggested causes and solutions to my problem. I do not think I have changed anyt settings in the last 24 hours, essentially I had given up.
I am sorry this will not be of ant help to anyone else but wish you luck in resolution of any issues you encounter. Thanks again!