Random lag then reboots by itself?

Did you experience lag and random reboots after marshmallow update?

• Total voters

Commandermadi

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Howdy droiders,

My almost 2 year old galaxy note 4 NF910F has been experiencing some weird lag and random reboots since the marshmallow update. I know many users are experiencing the same as well but I'd like to know if anyone around here resolved these issues. The thing is some apps work as normal but out of sudden while like pressing the like button in facebook or searching for a hashtag on instagram, the mobile freezes for several seconds then it eithers execute the command or awkwardly reboots the device by itself.

I have not changed my battery since I bought the device and I guess it may be the reason... not sure though. Otherwise I did all the troubleshooting steps provided by many websites and users (wiped cache partition, did factory reser multiple times, scanned with avg antivirus, flashed stock rom via odin many times, rebooted in safe mode, etc...)

The only thing I did not change is the battery. Do you think its a battery issue? I would not want to go and change it then the issue persists. Kindly advice if any one here experienced the same and battery change solved it.

Bosbouer

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I did a clean marshmallow flash via ODIN and did a factory reset before I set my note 4 up as a new device. I did not allow any automatic installation of apps. Added on as I required them. Battery was eventually replaced in month 21 of owning the note. Had no issues with marshmallow (month 16 of ownership)

Last edited:

Commandermadi

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Did you do an Factory reset after the update? If not do a Factory reset.
Thank you for your reply but I did that multiple times, still lags and reboots randomly.

I did a clean marshmallow flash via ODIN and did a factory reset before I set my note 4 up as a new device. I did allow any automatic installation of apps. Added on as I required them. Battery was eventually replaced in month 21 of owning the note. Had no issues with marshmallow (month 16 of ownership)
Thank you for your reply. I factory reset and set it as a new device but the issue presists. Maybe battery is the reason.

Commandermadi

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: I added my fingerprints as lock method and now after leaving the device idle on the desk for 2 hours i picked it up and tried to unlock but it said something like: Backup" password is required after restarting the device"

The thing is i did not even restart the device so it definitely rebooted itself even when idle.

I left it and went to bed then when i woke up and picked it up, it said the exact same thing. Fishy battery??

northeast-msp

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
SM-N910V Having same issue. Don't waste you time and money on a battery - see below.

Started happening shortly after up date and I also thought it was random though seemed to happen more when starting an app especially camera. Then it got progressively worse. In addition to the random reboots, once the battery hit around 35% the phone went into the constant failed reboot loop. only way to stop it was to plug in phone.
I went through a long process of elimination first pulling off apps - then soft rest - and factory reset. Factory reset seemed to help a little at first - but may have been wishful thinking ...
I finally came to same conclusion it was the battery. New battery didn't do the trick, same issue but the constant reboot was starting more often, at time I gave up it was rebooting each time batt was below 85%.

I contacted Verizon Wireless and the sent me a replacement note 4. Life was good for a whole 2 days. Now its doing the same crap.
if I get a resolution I will post.

northeast-msp

Aug 25, 2016
Visit site
ok, just wasted 2 hours of my life with reps and supervisors from Verizon wireless.
first phase was an hour of trying to stall through the lets fix it script
then they went with *wait for next software patch upgrade, or we will send you another note 4 ( admitting it would most likely will be hosed too.)
my favorite was well you should upgrade...of course I should pay you 700 to continue to use a service I already pay you 580 a month to use...because you broke my 13 month old note 4..

Bottom line here is that in the end they admitted there nothing the end user is going to do to fix (unless you can roll back the image). So save your money and your sanity and wait it out if you can...
I made them send me a note 5

good luck

okscraig

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Pretty much same here. Having same problems after last update. Contact AT&T they advised I could do a factory reset (which I did) or get replacement phone. First reset went ok had contacts and calendars backed up all was ok…….then another auto reboot and restart took all contacts, calendar,and SNotes:(
Wednesday I received a refurbished replacement and after just short of 2 hours on phone with "Setup Pro" it would crash when trying to open google through settings, general, accounts, google…..black screen"Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."
My Pro sent me over to claims to get another replacement.
Thursday : Get replacement #2 repeat of Wednesdays events. Claims guy said they would test this one before they ship it out.
Friday: currently waiting for replacement #3
I LOVED my Note 4 and there is no comparable replacement. You cannot replace battery on Note 5 or 7. You cannot add memory to a Note 5. You can add memory to Note 7 but reviews sound like it is just for looks and not compatible with software.
TOTALLY BUMMED.
PS any suggestions on how I might retrieve my contacts, calendar and S Notes would be so helpful.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much same here. Having same problems after last update. Contact AT&T they advised I could do a factory reset (which I did) or get replacement phone. First reset went ok had contacts and calendars backed up all was ok…….then another auto reboot and restart took all contacts, calendar,and SNotes:(
Wednesday I received a refurbished replacement and after just short of 2 hours on phone with "Setup Pro" it would crash when trying to open google through settings, general, accounts, google…..black screen"Unfortunately, Settings has stopped."
My Pro sent me over to claims to get another replacement.
Thursday : Get replacement #2 repeat of Wednesdays events. Claims guy said they would test this one before they ship it out.
Friday: currently waiting for replacement #3
I LOVED my Note 4 and there is no comparable replacement. You cannot replace battery on Note 5 or 7. You cannot add memory to a Note 5. You can add memory to Note 7 but reviews sound like it is just for looks and not compatible with software.
TOTALLY BUMMED.
PS any suggestions on how I might retrieve my contacts, calendar and S Notes would be so helpful.
Since they seem to be willing to replace your phone, try to have them revert the OS back to LP, an earlier MM, or remove the update that initially caused the issue. From their actions (replacing the phone), they seem to know something is wrong with the OS.

Walee9325

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
I have a Note 4 (Sprint) and had same issue after upgrading to 6.01) Marshmellow

After trying a few things, this worked (for now - will update in a day or so)

Disable these Apps (in App Manager)

Lookout
S voice
Samsung Milk Music
Samsung +

I am thinking its S voice - since it probably runs in the background. But since it is more stable now (and I don't care for the other apps), I will see if these 4 disabled helps...

Walee9325

Oct 7, 2016
Visit site
Still have issues after factory reset and clearing cache partition. I've had android since the htc evo, but the iphone 7 is looking pretty good right now.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I finally came to same conclusion it was the battery. New battery didn't do the trick, same issue but the constant reboot was starting more often, at time I gave up it was rebooting each time batt was below 85%.

I contacted Verizon Wireless and the sent me a replacement note 4. Life was good for a whole 2 days. Now its doing the same crap.

While other things certainly happen, your symptoms point strongly to bad batteries.

Where did you get the replacement battery? It's possible you got a dud battery - they happen - but they are much more likely from eBay than from your carrier or a reputable supplier. I basically buy Anker batteries in pairs from Amazon - that way if I ever got a dud at least I have one good one to use while Anker swaps it out. They make good batteries, though - never had a dud.

Are you using your replacement battery in the "new" Note 4, or did it come with its own battery? I'd start by asking Verizon (go into a store) to replace the battery on the new Note 4 they swapped out for you.

I'd suspect three bad batteries in a row before I suspected two bad phones, though certainly that possibility cannot be dismissed.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you by any chance have Skype for Android installed? I also had reboots every and then, but a recent update fixed that (Sept security update).

The lags may be due to Skype, its awfully coded and can bring the phone down to its knees easily.

Js2000ster

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
This really stinks we are having this lag/freeze, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. Hopefully they are working on a fix. My note 4 is with att and as soon as the update was installed I noticed major lags and freeze ups. Even scrolling up and down in this thread causes the phone to freeze for about 8 seconds and then the screen will play catch up. Also freezes up when typing. I really liked this phone too. I've had it for 2 years and I actually missed it when I had the note 7 for a couple of weeks.

cinnamin

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm also coming back to my Note 4 from a Note 7 my note 4 was freezing and restarting.i couldn't do anything on it ,without it either rebooting or freezing I tried this and it seems to be working out for me. I'm still getting a replacement though. It says root but my phone isn't rooted.

https://youtu.be/d1PaxEr76KY

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox