Strange Settings Search anamoly [Solved]

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I rarely use the Search function in Settings, but tonight I couldn't remember something and so I tried to search for it. When I search for anything that begins with the letters "a" or "b", I get an "Unfortunately settings has stopped" error. However, I don't get an error with any other alphabet and search works normally.

Another thing is, if I begin a search with a letter that works, say "z", and then add a word that begins with the letter "a" right after the "z"... for instance, "zalert"... then delete the letter "z" so that the search box now only shows the word "alert", search works as normal.

Very weird! I don't know if this is a known bug or I just never noticed it as I rarely use the search function. I'm also on Kitkat with absolutely no updates since I bought the phone, so maybe this was something that got fixed in an update. Clearing cache and data in the SettingSearchProvider app has no effect. Strange that only the letters "a" and "b" are affected!

It's not that big a deal as I can work around it, but sure is strange.

Anyone ever see this before? Anyone can duplicate it? Maybe a Kitkat thing? LOL!

Last edited:

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Re: Strange Settings Search anamoly

I've tried recreating it in MM but it's a no go - things normal on my end.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I just did a cache wipe in recovery and it still didn't make a difference. Search in portrait or landscape doesn't matter either. Have no idea what could be causing it but it's very strange to affect only two letters.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I just did a cache wipe in recovery and it still didn't make a difference. Search in portrait or landscape doesn't matter either. Have no idea what could be causing it but it's very strange to affect only two letters.
Weird! Maybe there's something on the match list for those letters that is at the origin of the problem. I suppose clearing data for the settings app should clear that list, but it's a high price to pay for such a thing.

Just a thought. Never used that phone but on mine the first matches when you make a search are WiFi networks. Check which ones start by A and B on your WiFi settings, forget one by one and see if it makes any difference.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I suppose clearing data for the settings app should clear that list, but it's a high price to pay for such a thing.
Yes, too high a price if I have to setup all my settings again!

Like I said, I rarely use search... in fact I only use it when I'm trying to find something to help someone here.

As for Wifi... I have no networks that begin with a or b. The Settings search on the Note 4 is "alphabetical", so when you type a letter, the search begins to list things that begin with the letter typed. Not sure if it works the same on your phone.

This one got me totally stumped but it's fun searching for the culprit! :)

Thanks!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

As for Wifi... I have no networks that begin with a or b. The Settings search on the Note 4 is "alphabetical", so when you type a letter, the search begins to list things that begin with the letter typed. Not sure if it works the same on your phone.

This one got me totally stumped but it's fun searching for the culprit! :)

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a bit different on my phone. The search includes any option with a word that starts by the letter you're searching. It was a very long shot. Reading your thread just ran a couple of test and discovered that WiFi networks are included there! Oh well, at least I learned something :D

5d47860c95bfe056f948ced053063826.jpg

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I guess our phones do work the same... my keyboard was in the way, so I didn't notice the search was showing all words that began with the letter typed.

Here's the "a" search error...

View attachment 239686

Here's an "h" search

View attachment 239687

Is this funky or what!??

EDIT... just wanted to add... Safe Mode doesn't work, clearing the cache on Settings app doesn't work either.

Last edited:

Larry_F

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

I can't see how this could apply to a settings search, but whenever I see someone has a "Settings has stopped" problem I remember the time I had that problem because I had disabled an app which it turned out was used in processing a setting. It couldn't hurt to check whether you might have disabled something that could be used in processing a setting that you probably never use, but which starts with "a" or "b."

Larry

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

I can't see how this could apply to a settings search, but whenever I see someone has a "Settings has stopped" problem I remember the time I had that problem because I had disabled an app which it turned out was used in processing a setting. It couldn't hurt to check whether you might have disabled something that could be used in processing a setting that you probably never use, but which starts with "a" or "b."

Larry
Yes, I've been looking at disabled apps but haven't found anything yet. I do use Debloater and have about 180 apps disabled/turned off. I just went through the list and if I had to re-enable everything that has an "a" or "b" in the name, we're talking over a hundred apps. I'm trying to find the most logical apps to re-enable as I think stuff like Amazon, AntHal, or Blurb Check out, wouldn't do much. Thanks for your input!

EDIT: By the way, I do believe something like what you mention is happening. I just have to identify it.

Larry_F

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site

That would be quite a list to go through. I was actually thinking of a setting that started with "a or "b", and if the setting required an app, the name of the app might not start with "a" or "b."

Larry

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

That would be quite a list to go through. I was actually thinking of a setting that started with "a or "b", and if the setting required an app, the name of the app might not start with "a" or "b."

Larry
Yes, I understood what you meant even if my reply didn't seem like it. The only way to have a setting not function because of an app, is if the app is disabled/turned off. This is why I have to look at disabled/turned off apps. I'm not necessarily looking for the name of the app to have an "a" or "b"... it's just somewhere to start. Sorry if I confused you, I did understand what you meant. Thanks!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Update...

I reset Debloater and removed all app blocks. Settings Search works normally... even "a" and "b". So, something on my disable list is screwing things up. All I have to do now is find out which it is! Problem is, I can see search works as soon as I reset Debloater, but in order to see if search becomes broken again, I have to restart the phone as I start disabling apps. Painstakingly slow!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

***SOLVED***

Well, after several hours of troubleshooting the problem, it turned out to be the NFC Service app... NfcNci.apk (com.android.nfc). I had this blocked in Debloater because I never use it. With everything else on my list still disabled by Debloater, except the NFC app, Settings Search now works as it should... I got my "a" and "b" back!

Funny how messing around can sometimes get you in trouble! LOL!

Thanks guys for your help! Much Aloha!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Wow! Glad you managed to fix it. Go figure why disabling NFC would mess with the search feature. It was fun :)

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

Wow! Glad you managed to fix it. Go figure why disabling NFC would mess with the search feature. It was fun :)
I have no idea why disabling NFC would do that. Even in searching "a" or "b", there were no hits pointing to NFC anything... at least nothing obvious.

I rarely use the search function so I may disable NFC again... for my use, the weight falls to having NFC disabled.

Yes, very much fun! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance