Since update SMS issues

THE POTZ

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Ever since the update I'm having all sorts of issues. One of which is the "screen overlay detected" issue. My app that I need to re-enable and use (my sms) is grayed out. Can anyone help me?

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Ever since the update I'm having all sorts of issues. One of which is the "screen overlay detected" issue. My app that I need to re-enable and use (my sms) is grayed out. Can anyone help me?

I am not sure from your post if you are using the stock messaging on your Note 4 or a 3rd party. I am guessing a 3rd party. If that's the case, simply uninstall the 3rd party messaging app, and try reinstalling fresh.
Let me know if that works.

THE POTZ

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried that a bunch of times. I normally used mysms but every other 3p messenging app had the same pop-up during set up. That "overlay detected" message. I took it to the ATT store and a rep told me that there have been a variety of "minor" problems since the update. There was no resolution other than wiping the phone which I did.. UGH. At least now it works again. I just hate having to wipe the phone every time there's a glitch that cant be solved.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I tried that a bunch of times. I normally used mysms but every other 3p messenging app had the same pop-up during set up. That "overlay detected" message. I took it to the ATT store and a rep told me that there have been a variety of "minor" problems since the update. There was no resolution other than wiping the phone which I did.. UGH. At least now it works again. I just hate having to wipe the phone every time there's a glitch that cant be solved.

This isn't an update issue. Guaranteed. It's got to be another app you are using. Take the phone into safe mode and see if it still happens, if it doesn't it's an APP

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if this is a MM update thing or an "Allo" thing, but I started using Google's new Allo as my SMS client and it's not displaying all my previous SMS message history as the Touchwiz Messenger does. It's probably an Allo thing, right?

THE POTZ

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
The chick at the ATT Store did that (safe mode) and it was the same thing. When I wiped the phone and rebuilt it it was resolved. All the same apps that were on it before so dunno what the issue was.
What exactly is "screen overlay detected" anyway? And why does it prevent the full installation of certain apps? I don't even know what that means in all honesty.

b2d2

May 3, 2011
Visit site
It seemed to go away when I uninstalled the Twilight app. I don't think my phone keeps me up at night anyway.

THE POTZ

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
It would be cool if an Android expert on here can create a broken-down list of the weird glitches and errors that pop-up and then to the right of that list will be troubleshooting / resolution tips. That would be so nice lol.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
It would be cool if an Android expert on here can create a broken-down list of the weird glitches and errors that pop-up and then to the right of that list will be troubleshooting / resolution tips. That would be so nice lol.

It appears it was the Twilight app. This came up by searching the forums

http://forums.androidcentral.com/an...verlay-detected-app-permissions-twilight.html

Doing something like you are suggesting would be next to impossible, this is why we have the forums, which you can search for answers, it's one LARGE troubleshooting location.
What you need to do, is understand what you have installed and how 3rd party apps can create issues like you had.
This WAS software, that caused your issue, from something YOU installed

THE POTZ

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Troubleshooting can be very complex so we bring to the forum a variety of issues for assistance. We all have varying levels of expertise.. some are so-called "experts" (and possess the arrogance to go along with it). Others like myself have a general scope of knowledge and can tackle the basic glitches that arise. This was a little out of the ordinary for me and not a lot of information was available. The caps in your response perpetuates the notion that some forum members are just nasty, condescending and arrogant. These forums are very user-dependent, so your curt response doesn't exactly provide an incentive for others to ask questions. Keep that in mind before you interject a response that can be misconstrued as discourteous. And for the record, I never had Twilight installed..

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Troubleshooting can be very complex so we bring to the forum a variety of issues for assistance. We all have varying levels of expertise.. some are so-called "experts" (and possess the arrogance to go along with it). Others like myself have a general scope of knowledge and can tackle the basic glitches that arise. This was a little out of the ordinary for me and not a lot of information was available. The caps in your response perpetuates the notion that some forum members are just nasty, condescending and arrogant. These forums are very user-dependent, so your curt response doesn't exactly provide an incentive for others to ask questions. Keep that in mind before you interject a response that can be misconstrued as discourteous. And for the record, I never had Twilight installed..

As I stated, this entire forum is as you stated "a broken-down list of the weird glitches and errors that pop-up and then to the right of that list will be troubleshooting / resolution tips"
You are being very unrealistic asking for a one stop shop for this when you can simply search the forum, and post, as you did if you aren't able to find the specific issue.
My CAPS are not because I am passing myself off as an expert ( which by no means is the case ) nor is it that I am arrogant. I simply thing you are being very unrealistic and expecting a lot more for the little you actually did on your own to solve your issue, or troubleshoot it.
Long story short, it may not have been twilight, but being it was resolved by doing a factory reset means it was some 3rd party app you installed that caused the issue. But apparently "The Chick" at AT&T stated this wasn't that case.