Back to the Note 4, what I'll miss about the Note 7

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Reset and boxed up my N7 for return to BB today. What I will not miss:

1. The curve. I tried to like it more, but never really did. Content on the curve was distorted, but half as much as the Edge.
2. Problematic application of screen protectors. Flat is better for adherence.
3. Fragility of the curve sticking out and the glass casing. Again, flat is better for protection. Certain the N7 will not handle the drops have had with the N4.
4. Lack of removable battery.
5. Weaker signal reception. Confirmed using my Note 4 now, the dBm is 8 to 10 points less than the Note 4 (10 in my office). That is huge for weaker threshold areas. Note 7 in my basement struggles for LTE and the Note 4 does not. Ditto for my office. Note 4 wins on reception.

Back to my Note 4.

- Took my sim and put in adapter for Note 4
- Reset the device to stock
- Updated to Marshmallow 6.01
- Put the 256GB card in
- Reinstalled my apps over night
- Disabled some bloat with Package Disabler
- The Note 4 is impressively and surprisingly fast
- Prefer the display of the Note 4 overall due to being flat (no distortion)
- Low light camera pics and speed are better than I recall- Updates help? Not a placebo, since used to avoid low light with Note 4
- Have 6440mah extended battery coming in today
- 256GB card works fine in the Note 4

Perhaps I had low expectations compared to the Note 7, but the speed with the Marshmallow update, no curve, much better signal reception and less worry about dropping (Note 4 handle drops fairly well even with a lighter case)- I am happy plus $890 back and "free" 256GB card.

The Note 4 camera being better/faster than it used to be is an unexpected bonus.

Added: Yes, some of this is mental spin. The Note 7 was great, but the Note 4 has merits too. Reception being a biggie and my preference for a flat display and keeping the sd slot.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Things not missed about the Note 7: Back to the Note 4

Are you going to stick with the Note 4, or will you be looking to get a replacement device soon? If so a new device, what are you looking for?

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I've been using the Note 5 since release. Keep thinking about returning to my Note 4. Your post was very enlightening. Would like to see similar posts before I decide.

Kilroy672

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking about picking up a Note 4 off of eBay. I'll probably turn in my N7 when or if I get it. Pros and cons of the Note 4 vs Note 7? How's the LTE strength or the N7?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Are you going to stick with the Note 4, or will you be looking to get a replacement device soon? If so a new device, what are you looking for?

Sticking with the Note 4 for now. Maybe the V20, if battery life is not as weak a initially reported and if ever the cost is around $650 and on Verizon.

Flat display (prefer amoled for battery efficiency)

Good signal reception

Sd slot

3.5 jack

At least 64gb internal

Removable battery

Note 4 is closest right now. Marshmallow and clean install makes it like new.

BTW, the 6440 mah battery I got is junk. Had less battery life than my over two year old Samsung 3220 mah one. Returning it and buying new Samsung battery. Got off Amazon.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm thinking about picking up a Note 4 off of eBay. I'll probably turn in my N7 when or if I get it. Pros and cons of the Note 4 vs Note 7? How's the LTE strength or the N7?

8 to 10 dBm weaker than the Note 4. I noticed the N7 struggles with LTE in placed that the N4 doesn't.

Main pros:

Flat non distorted display

Handles drops better and easier to use screen protectors and protect from drops.

IR Blaster

Removable battery

Cons

Less internal storage

Benchmarks less, but not seeing performance issues

Not as good camera overall

20% less battery life (but removable battery)

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back! I never even got a chance to touch a Note7 :( I had preordered it but then the debacle happened.

Note 4 will have to serve me for another year.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
If the Note 4 keeps performing as is, I am good for now. Battery life is better than expected. About 10% less than the Note 7, if that. Thinking the better signal reception is helping the Note 4. Replaceable battery is nice to go back to as well.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
5. Weaker signal reception. Confirmed using my Note 4 now, the dBm is 8 to 10 points less than the Note 4 (10 in my office). That is huge for weaker threshold areas. Note 7 in my basement struggles for LTE and the Note 4 does not. Ditto for my office. Note 4 wins on reception.

Living in an area with a lot of weak spots, even in the largest city in our small state, the ability to whisper up usefulness from a weak signal is an extremely important feature in a phone - and yet it's so hard to get solid numbers on what phones do well at this and which ones do poorly. Thanks for mentioning that.