Mobile data while on Wi-Fi

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else ever noticed the 4G/LTE antenna show up occasionally while connected to Wi-Fi? It makes me think that it is transmitting via mobile instead of Wi-Fi, even though my Wi-Fi is full-strength. I have a tendency of turning off mobile data while connected to Wi-Fi because I don't know if it is wasting it for nothing.

I guess what I want to know is, is it something I should worry about?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Not in general, the device will keep checking in with the network regardless of what you are doing on WiFi or Bluetooth etc. That said, there are settings on some later Androids that will switch to mobile data if the WiFi signal gets spotty.. Smart network switch or similar in the wifi app setting ... Have a poke around in the developer options too for aggressive WiFi to mobile setting..

420lyfe

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Yeah nothing to worry about. Same thing happens with the note5 devices. It's noting serious it tends to switch back and fourth every now and then... I haven't really paid attention to it all that much because I'm on the unlimited tmo plan but yeah I can see how it cold be worrying for someone who's on a limited plan.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
The data consumption is very minimal. More often than not, it has to do with your location settings.

Mine only does that when I refresh the weather widget, until it acquires my location (for like a split second).

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I tend to believe it is a location thing, but it doesn't seem to happen at the same time as the GPS, which I assume it should.

For the most part, I notice it most often when I wake up the phone, very rarely in any other circumstance. Which makes me believe it switches to mobile when the screen shuts off.