Samsung Note 4, turning off and on, freezing, rebooting, now a black screen.

Sigrid C

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
I have a Note 4 N910F with marshmallow 6.0.1. Last week it started turning off, rebooting, freezing, vibrating, then turning off, and repeating the cycle. Had to remove battery to make it stop. I tried to restart a couple of times, but the same thing would happen. I wiped the cache, but still didn't help. Now, it will turn on, go thru the Samsung logo and splash screen, but then it goes to a solid black screen. What's up with that?

This is an unlocked int'l phone, and my carrier is Net 10. I've spoken with Samsung and then Net 10. They both blamed it on the other, naturally and have no help to offer. I'm uncertain what to try next. Any suggestions?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
It's also possible that it as simple as a bad/failed battery. Do you know of another Note 4 owner who might be able to loan you a known good battery for 5 minutes?

Barring that - put the battery on a tabletop - does it lie completely flat? Can you spin it at all? Swelling is not necessarily present in all failed batteries, but it's a good sign that the battery has failed or is on its way out very soon.

Sigrid C

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the info B. Diddy. I tried booting into Safe Mode. Won't work. It showed the Safe Mode icon in the lower corner, but then the screen went black and did not respond. Since I can't tell if the phone is on or off, I have to eventually remove the battery just to make sure it is off.
This morning, I removed the Micro SD card and tried to wipe cache. It vibrated, so I released the Home & Power buttons, but nothing happened. After about 60 seconds, I finally released the VOL UP button. In a couple of seconds, blue RECOVERY BOOTING showed up at top, then went away, vibrated, RECOVERY BOOTING at top of screen again -- this happened 3 times and each time the Samsung logo came up, then would vibrate. After 3rd time, screen just went black again.
I'm thinking to connect my phone to my computer and just see if I can backup my data, like contacts and calendar info, to my computer, before I take any further steps. I'm not sure I can "boot" into Odin or anything else since I can't seem to even get to a screen of any sort.

Sigrid C

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Nate. I have already changed batteries. Neither the one I was using at the time, nor the one I put in, were swelled up, both lie flat on the table.

Sigrid C

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Okay, here's what I've done. I connected my phone (which is off) to my computer, hoping that KIES would allow me to backup my data. Of course, nothing happened since my phone was off. I tried again to boot into SAFE mode. And guess what -- it did!! Here's what I got:

At the top section of the screen, in YELLOW, the following:
Android Recovery
MMB29M.N910FXXS1DPK1
samsung/trltexx/trlte
6.0.1/MMB29M/N910FXXS1DPK1
user/release-keys
Use volume up/down and power.

THEN, highlighted and in GREEEN:
Reboot system now

Then in BLUE, but not highlighted (I can barely read it)
Reboot to bootloader
Apply update from ADB
Apply updated from SD card
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache partition
Mount /system
View recovery logs
Power off

THEN A BLUE LINE WITH THE FOLLOWING LINES IN RED:

E:failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install
E:failed to mount /system (No such file or directory)
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_locale
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

NOW WHAT?!?!?!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, this is getting beyond my scope of knowledge. But when I see that kind of thing, I usually think of failing hardware. The phone is presumably no longer under warranty, right?

Sigrid C

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, it may be gone, and of course, the warranty ended in November. I took it to a repair shop and the tech tried to fix it, used Samsung Smart Switch, several things, but nothing worked. I'm going thru You Tube videos searching, searching for help, of course. But this close to Christmas and travel plans in place, I'm going to have to let it go for the next few days.

I'm certainly a novice at this, but could this be what is referred to as "bricked"??? That might help me a little in trying to decide what to do next.

Also, in messaging with Samsung rep (not a tech, of course), she suggested a website for international Samsung phones but I haven't gone there yet. It does make me wonder, tho, if I do get the thing running again, would I need to download the software from the country the phone supposedly came from since it's an unlocked international phone (from Italy, I think)?

Thanks for your help, B.Diddy! Since I paid for the phone outright, I hate to give up on it until it literally blows up or something, you know?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's true that installing firmware for the wrong variant can cause issues, but this doesn't seem to be the kind of problem I'd expect. Let me see if ironass, our resident Samsung guru, has any words of wisdom.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
It's true that installing firmware for the wrong variant can cause issues, but this doesn't seem to be the kind of problem I'd expect. Let me see if ironass, our resident Samsung guru, has any words of wisdom.

One of these days B. Diddy will give me an easy problem! ;)

This does indeed seem to be a poorly, sick, Note 4. To my mind, this could go one way or the other... either a corrupt firmware or a failing hardware... such as a motherboard.

Let's assume a corrupt firmware and suggest that you download the stock Samsung firmware for your model of phone, N910F, from here and flash it as per B. Diddy's linked instructions in post #2.

Booting into Download/Odin mode can be tricky for those not used to it. I suggest pulling the battery and then replacing it and then, simultaneously holding down the POWER, HOME (hard key on the front of the phone), and the VOLUME DOWN buttons. If successful, the phone should boot into Download mode fairly quickly, (2 or 3 seconds), and you can then select to continue by using the VOLUME UP button. It may take you half a dozen attempts to do this. If you cannot boot into Download mode and re-flash your firmware, then I am afraid that there is not much else that can be done and you will most likely be the victim of a hardware issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-zvwUS6as4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If I gave you an easy problem, then it wouldn't be quite as dazzling when you come up with the solution!;)

Sigrid C

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, B. Diddy and Ironass. I have been out of town for holidays and just got home late last night. I will give this a try and let you know the results. Thanks again!

randyb19

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I was having the same issue on my AT&T phone just after receiving the latest security update last week. I JUST came from the AT&T store having my phone completely reloaded sans the latest update and its back in working condition. I've read on other websites of other people having the issue as well after this latest patch.

Cavboygt

Nov 5, 2014
Visit site
Thing i did, didnt work factory reset, clear cache, samsung + and new battery. You tube info. I download wake lock apps click partial wake lock. So far is working fine. I really hate it because you need a third party apps. I got two note 4 att and tmo. the tmo i never have a problem saying that may be because they update all the time. My att i need to bring it to best buy to do update.

Last edited:

LowIQ

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Yup!
Many people like you had similar problems after the latest update.
If you can take it back for a replacement or get security update properly installed.
On my wifes Note 4, I backed up everything, then did a factory reset before installing the latest security update.
Then I reinstalled everything back with Samsung & Google account restore feature.
Her phone worked without a hiccup compared to my horror story.:eek:
This is an obvious problem both Google & Samsung are responsible for....:mad:
Unfortunately, won't get much help from them.
Thankfully we have a community of users to help each other with it.:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084