Help ! Lost contacts in my Note 4 :-(

gollerj

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
My wife recently had to do a factory reset on my Note 4. She asked if my contacts were backed up, and I check the setting to make sure it was checked to back up to Google and it was. I thought I was safe.

She did the re-set but discovered I had a bad SD card which, which she reformatted.

When I rebooted the phone, only some of my contacts came back from Google (maybe 1/3 of them). I'm confused why only SOME of them came back. It seems that backup should be an all or nothing thing- either they are backed up to Google or not. Can anyone explain why only some came back, and where the rest were (are)? I have the DISPLAY ALL CONTACTS switch selected in the contacts menu. Also when I look on Google on my PC the missing contacts are not there either. Is it possible they are still safe backed up on a Samsung cloud somewhere?

Any help is appreciated.

ex0LL

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
Hello.

It might be that the rest of the contacts that are not being displayed were saved locally.

Contacts can be saved via SIM or via sync services like Google.. but I am afraid that if they are not shown properly, they were lost in the factory reset :'(

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife recently had to do a factory reset on my Note 4. She asked if my contacts were backed up, and I check the setting to make sure it was checked to back up to Google and it was. I thought I was safe.

She did the re-set but discovered I had a bad SD card which, which she reformatted.

When I rebooted the phone, only some of my contacts came back from Google (maybe 1/3 of them). I'm confused why only SOME of them came back. It seems that backup should be an all or nothing thing- either they are backed up to Google or not. Can anyone explain why only some came back, and where the rest were (are)? I have the DISPLAY ALL CONTACTS switch selected in the contacts menu. Also when I look on Google on my PC the missing contacts are not there either. Is it possible they are still safe backed up on a Samsung cloud somewhere?

Any help is appreciated.

Do all your contacts show up in http://contacts.google.com/ ?

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
Be sure to use a browser and go to: https://contacts.google.com/
Log into her Google account and confirm all her contacts are there. If not, in the left side column click on 'More' and in the contextual menu that drops down click on 'Undo changes' and use that to restore any alterations/deletions within 30 days.

TwitchyPuppy

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
When you initially create a contact, you have to make sure to select your Google account as to where you want them to be. Otherwise they won't backup there.

gollerj

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
It's really strange, a lot of the contacts have a single phone number, but the other two associated with them, or the address is gone. Like some of the info was backed up and some not - within the same contact. I simply can't explain why that would be. Some of it must have been saved locally, but why- I don't know. Any chance that it might have backed up to a Samsung cloud site?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non