Any hope for Nougat?

frellingfrakker

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I know 2+ year old phones don't normally get new OS updates, but due to the Note 7 fiasco a lot more owners kept their Note 4 to wait for this Fall's model and the Note brand took a hit. Since the Note is technically just the 2nd oldest note in the market do you think Samsung may actually give it the Nougat update to keep us happy enough to wait for the Note 8?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
On the software update page on the T-Mobile website, phones receiving Nougat does not include the Note 4.

It's still a great phone to use on Marshmallow. There are some features that I like on MM that have been removed in Nougat.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I can't imagine the Note 4 getting Nougat regardless of what happened with the 7. The Note 8 will be out in August/September, so Note 4 users looking for an updated OS can pay $800+ for it. They ain't getting it for free.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
On the lists of supported devices that have been out there from time to time, the Note 4 has never been listed on any of them. Even with the Note 7 mess, the likelihood of them changing their stripes and supporting a phone that old is slim to none.

The custom ROM community is your only option... and after taking a quick peek over on XDA, prospects there appear pretty grim for your AT&T model. Looks like T-Mobile has some support, along with Verizon, Sprint and the international models. AT&T, on the other hand, looks like a barren wasteland.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Nope.

Regardless of the Note 7 fiasco, the Note 4 is still a 2 year old device, which means that Samsung can no longer guarantee that it'll receive an OS upgrade anytime soon, although it does still receive security patches.

The only option is to grab a custom ROM off XDA. The Note 4 is quite popular with them, so you'll definitely find a Nougat ROM. Note that ROMs based on AOSP or LineageOS will not bring over the S Pen features.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Another setback on updates is the chipset. Since the Qualcomm variants probably didn't get any updates to prep for updated software, that is another nail in the coffin.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine the Note 4 getting Nougat regardless of what happened with the 7. The Note 8 will be out in August/September, so Note 4 users looking for an updated OS can pay $800+ for it. They ain't getting it for free.
I wonder what the cost will be, rumors are that the S8+ will cost over $1k. If this is true then the new Note 8 will probably cost at least the same. Phone prices are getting stupid crazy. Will be interesting to see what happens.

agaskew

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
FWIW I have rooted and dropped Cyanogen on my Note 4 (SM-910F). There is no S Pen support but I never used it anyway. I love the native Android experience (no touchwiz) and may jump over to a Pixel for my next handset.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in the S8+. I love the thought of a 6.2 screen. If it does cost $1k I may have to take out 2nd mortgage on the house to afford it.:D:(