Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutusf

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Re: Who else predicts doom and gloom for the Galaxy Note 5?

Agree 100%! Samsung needs to stop copying Apple and do their own thing! Android in general is copying the iPad as well. Android tablets all used to be widescreen, but all the new ones coming out are 4:3, same as Apple. Android is on 80% of all phones shipped today worldwide! Why do they think they need to change their strategy to follow Apple? What is going on with Android?!

Brutusf

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site

"You guys know there is a reason the Samsung didn't put a SD card in the S6 and the Note 5 right? It cause they are using UFS 2.0 for the phones main storage:"
I don't believe that Samsung can't find a way to make these 2 work together side-by-side. I know it's a money grab. How else can you explain S6 pricing: $600 for 32GB; $700 for 64GB and $800 for 128GB. That's bull$&#% that you need to increase the phone $100 for each memory upgrade! I agree with a previous reviewer that said Samsung should just sell all phones with 128GB. But, they won't make as much money if they did. It's a money grab! The same thing Apple has been doing for years!!!

Denis Bergeron

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Here my 2 cents :

first cent ) Samsung didn't have, with its new phone, any hardware advantage over any other Android seller

second cent ) Google give update on his phone, more than 2 years after their initial sell. Last year I buy a brand new Note 3 (before the release of Note 4), my phone is not even 1 year old, and Samsung will not release 5.1 for the note 3. My next phone will be a Nexus phone.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Hasn't it ever occurred to any of the people who keep claiming that SD cards have a major impact on sales in the hundreds of SD card threads we have, that there's not a shred of evidence to support that claim?

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site

S6 is probably not selling as well as Samsung hoped. But it seems to be doing better than S5 for sure. For record, S4 sold around 40M for its life span and S5 is estimated to be well below that mark though samsung doesn't reveal exact figure on it.

Initial projection of S6 was 50~60M depending on source. But now it's dialed back down to around 45M in latest market analysis. Quite less than samsung wanted but still it's decent figure if it pans out that way. It's ironic that S5 with every feature that S6 is criticized for missing was the phone that brought steep decline of sales for Samsung.
Thanks

With apple's iphone 6/6+, and samsung's reported miscalculation of market demand (more edge buyers than s6), It's hard to argue that new design is an objective failure.

These companies don't listen to the suggestions from individual user, they only look at numbers. If we want something to change, we will just need to vote with wallet, and if our need is truly representative of a large user base, it will be reflected in sales and samsung will change.

If not, well, there will always be LG G4, Note 4. Nobody really need the latest phone....

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

These companies don't listen to the suggestions from individual user, they only look at numbers. If we want something to change, we will just need to vote with wallet, and if our need is truly representative of a large user base, it will be reflected in sales and samsung will change.
Precisely. There is no connect between Samsung and an end user, it seems to me. It's not a 'normal' company. I haven't seen any evidence they relate to customers at all. It's a machine. If we don't like what comes out this week, they and we move on.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

This is what I'm thinking too.
I'm sure it's not as simple as that. They have production targets to meet, to make their r&d and supply costs viable, but they only seem to communicate through their products, and let (or encourage) reviewers to like their products. And we do like their products, despite 3 years with the same Touchwiz homescreen from 2011 to the S5.

They just freak me out sometimes, LOL, that's all I'm saying.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

Hasn't it ever occurred to any of the people who keep claiming that SD cards have a major impact on sales in the hundreds of SD card threads we have, that there's not a shred of evidence to support that claim?

Ummm......let's see. The less than projected sales of the S6, One thing I believe is a REALLY bad mistake is to take away 3 features from the S5 all in one go. That is just waaaaaaay too radical all at once. You can quietly lose the waterproofing-no problem. Hardly a biggie. However, removing BOTH removable battery and SD card in one hit is a marketing and perception disaster. Oh yeah, and whilst you remove those 2 traditional features in one hit giving a one two punch to many loyal Samsung fans, you then go ahead and make the battery smaller than the previous model.

Can you not see just how bad it looks from a marketing perspective? Especially to previous Samsung users? Your new phone loses waterproofing, loses dustproofing, loses the removable battery, the battery is now smaller than before and loses the SD card.

Those are more than 3 whammies all together. Very bad. Couple that with Samsung not keeping up production with the one model that was a hit ( the Edge ), and couple that with Apple's monstrous success with the iphone 6 duos and finally couple that with all the competing cheaper rival Androids such as OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei etc, and you have the reasons for the Galaxy's S6 not meeting forecasts.

But seriously, what egghead said to give people 3 shock whammies in one hit? The only whammy that should have been, so as not to cause too much shock to the overall system, is a non removable battery. That's it. The SD should have been retained and the battery capacity should have been at least 3000mah.

Common sense to me suggests doing away with the removable battery for at least a number of Samsung models. Let people gradually get acclimatised to that. When that issue is over, then you can go ahead and get rid of the SD card.

Samsung could have dropped the Snapdragon 808 in there. Come on ,why does every new phone have to have a newly developed processor? Heck, the Snapdragon 805 would have done virtually just as good a job. Snapdragon 808 would have been my choice, avoiding the overheating issues of the 810 and saving a fortune on research and development and manufacturing it yourself.

But you can't go ahead and give traditional users 3 shocks to the system like that all in one go. I think if the S6 just had the Snapdragon 808, had a non removable at least 3000 mah battery, and say at least 64GB standard hard drive plus SD card, and if it wasn't priced quite as high as it was, it would have sold a lot better. By using the 808 processor, this is where you make enormous savings in research and manufacturings to give other things as standard such as minimum 64 GB hard drive.

Show me a single person who would knock back my suggested version of the S6, especially if it was a little cheaper , because Samsung featured the Snapdragon 808 instead of its own costly, unnecessary 8 core processor. Sure, us tech interested Samsung users know and appreciate all the differences between one processor and another. The average Samsung user wouldn't know or care less, just like the average iphone user doesn't have a clue what processor is in their phone.

Last edited:

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Who is actually looking forward to (or has hope for) the Note 5?

I'm excited, if they use 7422 and big battery. Thing is I have never had Note, but there isn't any other alternatives on market with Stylus. I was also hoping for a better battery than 3000.

I was comfortable with battery when it was rumored to be 4100, 3000 though, i dont think so. They are going to have to do some serious convincing that the note 5 uses a lot less power. The whole fast charge is great, but im not near an outlet most of my shift, and besides, why go from an all day phone to a sub par battery?

Posted via the Android Central App

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT WANT to see in the Note 5?

Glass back and smaller battery. The rest doesnt matter much to me.

Posted via the Android Central App

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Just a few months of BS sell in numbers to sift through to find out. Will the media bite this time?

Still find it funny some people indifferent to the loss of sd post with a certain level of incredulity in their posts to those that are concerned with missed features.

Samsung unwittingly applauds and especially Apple, since they have the most to gain. JMO though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

You guys know there is a reason the Samsung didn't put a SD card in the S6 and the Note 5 right? It cause they are using UFS 2.0 for the phones main storage:

" As one of our readers rightly pointed out, there is another obstacle that would make it hard for Samsung to put UFS 2.0 storage and a microSD slot on a smartphone. SD cards and the eMMC 5.0 solution used on other flagships are able to use the same memory controller (the controller is what handles data transfer and communication with things like the processor), making it easier for them to exist in the same device. UFS 2.0, on the other hand, uses a new type of memory controller, and Samsung will have to find ways to interface the new controller with the one used on SD cards to be able to make them work together without affecting overall performance. It’s possible Samsung will find a solution to this in the future, but for now, it doesn’t look like a smartphone with UFS 2.0 storage will be featuring a microSD slot any time soon."

Link to the article if intrested:

Expecting the Galaxy Note 5 to have a microSD slot? Don’t - SamMobile

I posted a thread earlier about this.

It was my suspicion too.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I disagree
I think its a good option, and there are pretty good ones that will secure your data and work better than leaving it in the phone
The only thing I will agree with is the inconvenience of carrying another device and wont be able to charge, but its small so its not too bad for some purposes...here is one, has good reviews too

View attachment 190261

Amazon.com: Leef Access microSD Card Reader with microUSB 2.0 Connector for Android: Computers & Accessories
Respect the view, but everything I put in the note is technically correct.

OTG storage does not integrate well (how could it?) Especially music library.

Can't charge with it plugged in.

One more item to manage and potentially lose.

Plugging and unplugging are the most electrically volatile points. Much higher risk than leaving in. Especially if you use it a lot.

OTG is better than nothing. Absolutely. I use that exact adapter for my Note S 8.4. Also have a 128gb sd in the tablet :)

I use the OTG with a 64gb for movies, but only watch several times per week. Have my comics and games roms loaded in the sd card. Some tunes too. I use those a lot and OTG is not anywhere near as practical with the tablet. Yet alone a phone that's used a lot more. :)

Added: There are two versions of that adapter. One with an IMO annoying bright light and another without. I have the lighted one.

Last edited:

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

UFS can use SD with a different controller. The catch is the card memory is about 300ms slower. Considering media is what is put in an SD, the speed hit would not be noticed.

Seems Samsung trying to emulate Apple's storage model is more plausible. They could have went with another controller and reduced their SKUs and inventory cost with one base model. Their intent seems more profit margin driven than a technical constraint.

The end result though is the same regardless of reason. There ain't one in it and we'll see what the impact is to sales several months from now.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I won't be as excited as I was before, but I'll still be looking forward to it.

I was bummed out by the fact that it won't be using an Exynos 7422 because that chip is an AIO chip, meaning that the CPU, GPU, RAM, flash storage and modem are all in a single chip, freeing up space for something like a bigger battery.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

Ummm......let's see. The less than projected sales of the S6, One thing I believe is a REALLY bad mistake is to take away 3 features from the S5 all in one go. That is just waaaaaaay too radical all at once. You can quietly lose the waterproofing-no problem. Hardly a biggie. However, removing BOTH removable battery and SD card in one hit is a marketing and perception disaster. Oh yeah, and whilst you remove those 2 traditional features in one hit giving a one two punch to many loyal Samsung fans, you then go ahead and make the battery smaller than the previous model.

Can you not see just how bad it looks from a marketing perspective? Especially to previous Samsung users? Your new phone loses waterproofing, loses dustproofing, loses the removable battery, the battery is now smaller than before and loses the SD card.

Those are more than 3 whammies all together. Very bad. Couple that with Samsung not keeping up production with the one model that was a hit ( the Edge ), and couple that with Apple's monstrous success with the iphone 6 duos and finally couple that with all the competing cheaper rival Androids such as OnePlus, Xiaomi, Huawei etc, and you have the reasons for the Galaxy's S6 not meeting forecasts.

But seriously, what egghead said to give people 3 shock whammies in one hit? The only whammy that should have been, so as not to cause too much shock to the overall system, is a non removable battery. That's it. The SD should have been retained and the battery capacity should have been at least 3000mah.

Common sense to me suggests doing away with the removable battery for at least a number of Samsung models. Let people gradually get acclimatised to that. When that issue is over, then you can go ahead and get rid of the SD card.

Samsung could have dropped the Snapdragon 808 in there. Come on ,why does every new phone have to have a newly developed processor? Heck, the Snapdragon 805 would have done virtually just as good a job. Snapdragon 808 would have been my choice, avoiding the overheating issues of the 810 and saving a fortune on research and development and manufacturing it yourself.

But you can't go ahead and give traditional users 3 shocks to the system like that all in one go. I think if the S6 just had the Snapdragon 808, had a non removable at least 3000 mah battery, and say at least 64GB standard hard drive plus SD card, and if it wasn't priced quite as high as it was, it would have sold a lot better. By using the 808 processor, this is where you make enormous savings in research and manufacturings to give other things as standard such as minimum 64 GB hard drive.

Show me a single person who would knock back my suggested version of the S6, especially if it was a little cheaper , because Samsung featured the Snapdragon 808 instead of its own costly, unnecessary 8 core processor. Sure, us tech interested Samsung users know and appreciate all the differences between one processor and another. The average Samsung user wouldn't know or care less, just like the average iphone user doesn't have a clue what processor is in their phone.
You still after all of that missed my main point so I'll repeat myself. Show me solid evidence that the existence of SD cards has affected Galaxy sales either way. There is none. There is not one single published document in existence that shows whether or not SD cards have an effect on Galaxy S sales. You're purely speculating but without any tangible evidence to back it.
Just a few months of BS sell in numbers to sift through to find out. Will the media bite this time?

Still find it funny some people indifferent to the loss of sd post with a certain level of incredulity in their posts to those that are concerned with missed features.

Samsung unwittingly applauds and especially Apple, since they have the most to gain. JMO though.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
See above.

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site

You still after all of that missed my main point so I'll repeat myself. Show me solid evidence that the existence of SD cards has affected Galaxy sales either way. There is none. There is not one single published document ............

Well of course not. Who would you expect to go out and do an exhaustive study worldwide and find all those people that didn't buy a Galaxy S6 and bought something instead and asked them why they didn't buy an S6? It's a bit like the religious debate and saying "Prove that God doesn't exist".

I didn't say the lack of an SD card on its own was the reason. I stated at least 4. Yes, lack of an SD card, along with a non removable battery and one that is smaller in capacity than the model it replaces is clearly one.

The onslaught of the iphhone 6 was another. The emergence of high spec cheap Android alternative Chinese manufacturers is another. And the overpricing of the S6 is another. As I say, Samsung deliberately inflated the price to give it an air of flagship premium. Truly ridiculous.

There you go. 5 reasons plus also the inability to produce the Edge version sufficiently. How's that?

But taking off the SD plus putting in a non removable battery plus making it smaller would definately be a big factor for a lot of traditonal Samsung fans. And what do you know. Samsung is about to do it all over again with the Note 5 right down to making the battery smaller than the preceding model.

Super happy fun times for all. Especially Apple. I swear it's almost like there's a mole in Samsung working for Apple, sabotaging their product lines.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT WANT to see in the Note 5?

No SD card? Non-removable battery? Locked bootloader on AT&T and Verizon? No wonder they keep posting losses. Some of the Chinese manufacturers are going to bury their cellphone division.

HTC even lets you root and ROM without voiding the warranty. (Okay, so no removable battery, but that seems like a thing of the past now.)

Gearu

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site

There doesn't seem to be anything it can do or do better over the Note 3 either.

Taking away the IR blaster for the Note 5 doesn't help.

I'd like to know Samsung's answer to 'In what way is this phone much more advanced or better than the Note 3/4?' other than some superficial PR rubbish that we could expect them to say.

Sure, more screen resolution, a better camera, metal body - but these things are a given. I want to know what it is that Samsung worked hard to create to put into the Note 5, apart from a new Exynos. Like all android phones, the menus will still lag and stutter. (I thought project butter was supposed to end that...)

Phone advancement fronts change. Cameras, thin phones, processors, RAM, these things have already done their thing as spearhead features. There is a particular manufacturer (one of the chinese ones) still touting how thin their phones are, and don't realize they are embarrassing themselves.
We need new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech