Will the Note 5 have removable battery and storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

I'm sure everyone who said I'm not getting it because..... will.

via the Android Central App With S6 Edge

Nope. Indubitably this would not be the case. Tennis had 7 Days in Hell and Samsung would have a Fall and Winter in Sales Hell. Samsung would likely lose 15% of sales in relation to current Note owners who use the storage and rely on the battery design. That is millions of units and over a billion in lost revenue. Bank on it- IF the Note 5 is a giant S6 with pen.

Hmmmm. Which is better? A Note 5 128gb with same display design, or a Note 4 with 128gb card that has 32gb more total storage and at the very least $100 less total cost? With the bonus of a removable battery. Samsung made the a great device with the Note 4 that still is worthy if launched today. I expect this to be a bad time for Samsung, but expect Samsung to distort with sell-in numbers like they tried and got away with (for a few months) with the S6. Analysts nailed Samsung on that. Will be interesting how this all pans out :)

The Note series is not a fashion statement. A giant S6 is a bad idea and will sway virtually no iPhone fans, but would push more into the iPhone 6 Plus. The more Samsung acts like Apple, the more share they lose. Lack of functional differentiation is a bad move. The N5 needs to at least have the sd slot to lessen the hit.

Added: Indubitably!

Last edited:

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: Will you buy the Note 5 if it doesn't have a SD card and/or removable battery?

I think Samsung is willing to see how a drastically changed Note will do in the market. If sales are poor and their research indicates the big changes they made are the reason, they'll go back to removable storage and batteries next year.

Sent from the Elegance

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Removing the SD Card and having a non-removable slot might be the new thing now for future phones. The One Plus 2 also removed the Micro SD card slot (I was surprised) and also doesn't have a removable battery

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S6!

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site

From what I've seen so far I'm planning on making my first Note purchase. I'm a minority here because the lack of removable battery and no SD card don't really bother me as I would prefer a more premium device build (Just maybe not glass back). I know I can't be alone feeling this way and wonder to masses out there how many first time buyers will be compared to the current Note owners that won't purchase #5? I'm guessing that sales will be down a little due to 6 Plus and not because the battery and SD card.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

A 128 gb Note 5 would be better in my opinion than a 32gb device plus a large capacity sd card (lets call it a hypothetical 96gb card to level the field for pedantics), *costs being equal.

Sure you can't expand further, in theory, but there are enough neat small drives around for when you positively, absolutely, on pain of death have to carry (or be able to load) every ounce of global data on your travels.

Sounds like I am making fun of mega sd card diehards, I am not ( < well it ended up that way as I wrote )

but - point being:
cards do corrupt, fail and drag the system down, whether this has never happened to you or not.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

cards do corrupt, fail and drag the system down, whether this has never happened to you or not.

Exactly, which is why I think phone manufacturers are starting to do away with Micro SD cards and use SSDs or something similar inside their devices

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

What we need is a 256gb internal :) And a do it yourself kidney remover to sell organs to pay for it ;)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

On the other hand - Wow, a Moto X with a 5.7“ Qhd screen and sd slot, SD 808, sealed battery but definitely an option for me at USD 399.

Motorola announces the Moto X Style; available in September for $399 | Android Central

Agreed. The 808 is a step up from the already good 805 in the Note 4..... I wonder how the pixel arrays are designed on this, since one of the reasons for the larger screen door on the Gear VR and other VR sets with the Note and Galaxy devices is the pentile design that results in more of the pixel area standing out in a bad way with VR.

64GB with sd slot..... Why do I think most carriers will not carry it....? Verizon would be a big heck no.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Agreed. The 808 is a step up from the already good 805 in the Note 4..... I wonder how the pixel arrays are designed on this, since one of the reasons for the larger screen door on the Gear VR and other VR sets with the Note and Galaxy devices is the pentile design that results in more of the pixel area standing out in a bad way with VR.

64GB with sd slot..... Why do I think most carriers will not carry it....? Verizon would be a big heck no.
I was forgetting no Super Amoled, but maybe another amoled like the X 2014 I never saw but had mild colour issues apparently.

Still good enough for the likes of me anyhow.

I would prefer Samsung to have brought out this spec at this price, but no chance.

VR doesn't concern me, but I learned about pentile screens from tv's.

Don't know why Verizon wouldn't do it, but I am in the UK.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I was forgetting no Super Amoled, but maybe another amoled like the X 2014 I never saw but had mild colour issues apparently.

Still good enough for the likes of me anyhow.

I would prefer Samsung to have brought out this spec at this price, but no chance.

VR doesn't concern me, but I learned about pentile screens from tv's.

Don't know why Verizon wouldn't do it, but I am in the UK.

Your beer is better and so is your phone selection :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

From what I've seen so far I'm planning on making my first Note purchase. I'm a minority here because the lack of removable battery and no SD card don't really bother me as I would prefer a more premium device build (Just maybe not glass back). I know I can't be alone feeling this way and wonder to masses out there how many first time buyers will be compared to the current Note owners that won't purchase #5? I'm guessing that sales will be down a little due to 6 Plus and not because the battery and SD card.

The reality for me is that I don't generally keep devices long enough for their batteries to degrade. It was just peace of mind know that if the battery every did wear out a replacement was only a day away (via Amazon overnight). Removable storage? I guess I'll just have to pay more up front. These things have never been an issue on my iPhones so it's just the idea of losing something I had without an adequate conciliatory replacement. A glass back to supposedly convey higher build quality doesn't do it for me. The Note 4's design is beautiful to me and didn't need replacing, at all, in my book.

Sent from the Elegance

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Contrary to the opinions expressed herein for me the decision is crystal clear and not negotiable.

No removable battery OR no SD-card-slot means: SAMSUNG you can keep that crap to yourself!

Not sure, if everyone is aware of the fact, that spying agencies like NSA and other sinister organizations can secretly turn a switched-off Android phone on again and turn it against you to spy on its owner via microphone and camera. In that case, when you want to avoid traceability at all circumstances, the only remedy would be to temporarily remove the battery. And, trust me, I am not THAT STUPID to even pay for a spying-device myself, that can be turned against me later on!

Also I have a spare battery ready, should the first one run empty, let alone when it degrades after some time and doesn't make it through the day any more. Quick charging is no option as it is technically immature and won't give you IMMEDIATE operability either.

Also I need that card-slot as I NEVER store personal data in the "cloud of data-fraud" and do not even place them in the main memory. I do not like the idea of having to incinerate my old phone when switching to a new one, I'd rather prefer to simply delete and reset the main memory and removing all my data on SD-card before passing my old phone on to someone else.

I think the key is folks should appreciate there are different wants and needs and so should businesses that make products. The issue here though is Samsung has an Apple wannabe fetish that merely plays into Apple's hands and for that- Apple applauds. Whatever the case, I will not force my perspective on others as some try to do in forums and the media when being incredulous on why we need sd slots, batteries etc.

IMO from an aggregate standpoint, Apple fulfills one group and Samsung and other OEs did the others. If the Moto X is offered for Verizon's network and I can get the 64GB version, I think that could be my next purchase since I believe in supporting companies who are not Apple clones. We already have an Apple and they do quite well :)

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Contrary to the opinions expressed herein for me the decision is crystal clear and not negotiable.

No removable battery OR no SD-card-slot means: SAMSUNG you can keep that crap to yourself!

Not sure, if everyone is aware of the fact, that spying agencies like NSA and other sinister organizations can secretly turn a switched-off Android phone on again and turn it against you to spy on its owner via microphone and camera. In that case, when you want to avoid traceability at all circumstances, the only remedy would be to temporarily remove the battery. And, trust me, I am not THAT STUPID to even pay for a spying-device myself, that can be turned against me later on!

You do know that you are already being "spied" on by your carriers by using their networks. And what are you gonna remove your battery every 5 minutes just to not get spied on?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Also I have a spare battery ready, should the first one run empty, let alone when it degrades after some time and doesn't make it through the day any more. Quick charging is no option as it is technically immature and won't give you IMMEDIATE operability either.

Also I need that card-slot as I NEVER store personal data in the "cloud of data-fraud" and do not even place them in the main memory. I do not like the idea of having to incinerate my old phone when switching to a new one, I'd rather prefer to simply delete and reset the main memory and removing all my data on SD-card before passing my old phone on to someone else.
May I just say, you do look particularly fetching in that dress today.

A little more leg waxing wouldn't go amiss, but we all like the colour combination here at the NSA.

Thanks for brightening a dull day!

We are people too.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

Yes!
Samsung is the innovation leader in mobile. The future is being birthed by Samsung and the future is extremely fast internal memory with everything stored in the cloud. Like the cassette tape, VHS and Beta tapes, CD's external memory cards are soon the thing of museum displays only.
Embrace the Chaos!

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Yes!
Samsung is the innovation leader in mobile. The future is being birthed by Samsung and the future is extremely fast internal memory with everything stored in the cloud. Like the cassette tape, VHS and Beta tapes, CD's external memory cards are soon the thing of museum displays only.
Embrace the Chaos!

Meh. Data caps alone kill the premise. Paying to access my own content on the data mining cloud is not my idea of even Charlie Sheen type winning ;)

BTW, I know you are being sarcastic. That, or a Samsung marketer ;)

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

That's a good point of course.
There will be many first time Note buyers who have different priorities and expectations.

Without knowing the full Note 5 details, I expect people will be impressed with whatever they bring out.

Many will tire of the iPhone possibly (works both ways, sure), but want a premium look, feel and screen if they are going Android, with plenty of WoW features.

These newbies may be the priority target for Samsung.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

I can go without the recoverable back and Battery. No Sim Card is an deal breaker for me. I use my Gnote4 for work. I have One 128GB Micro SD full of Movies. I have another full of Documents for work. Had an 3rd for music, but now I use Google Music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol