The first note I won't buy? (all discussion about lack of microSD and removable battery must go here)

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Re: The first note I won't buy?

I had the Note 2 and Note 3 and I absolutely loved those phones. I liked the plastic leather-looking back and the stitching. That made it feel like it was a device worthy of being in a conference room. I didn't have the Note 4 because I opted to purchase the Droid Turbo instead. I was hoping to get back on the Note line of products this year, but it just looks like a larger version of the S6 with an S Pen. I'm afraid the battery life will be just as bad on the Note 5 as it is on the S6.

I'm going to stick with my S6 active until Samsung fixes their mistakes, which will hopefully be next year.

verks

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site

I said as late as yesterday I would hold off but I couldn't help it. My biggest issue was the smaller battery so I hope it holds up.

I was just going to get the Moto Pure but I wanted to try it. I have had every Note to date, love the Spen and split screen. I use both enough to warrant having the note. I switch a between phones a lot. Way too much. I have the S6 Active and 6+. Switch back and forth weekly. The Note line itself is one phone that holds me the longest and I never sell the old model until the next one is released.

I ordered today and it already shipped. I'll give it 10 days, if the battery holds up I'll keep it. If not it's the Moto for me.

Sent from one of my many phones using Tapatalk

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

I have owned a note 2, 3, 4, 8.0, 10.1, 10.1 2014, and 12.2.

I upgrade because those jerks never add the new s pen features to the old phone, and I love the s pen.

So now we have a new device, and the only s pen upgrade I see is the ability to draw on a black screen.

I hoped the "click" function would enable the eraser or be mappable, which it appears it isn't.

So basically it is a faster version of my already good phone, but I have to shell out $100 more to get 64gb of storage.

I'd love to have the black screen write and the long page clip... And that is why those jerks won't bring that to the note 4... And I'm not going to submit anymore to their crap update policies.

I've always loved the note, and hated Samsung. Today is no different.

Posted via the Android Central App
My list is not that long. Note 4, 8, 12.2. I love the Note line, but the Note 4 may be the last for me. I refuse to support a company that removes features just to boost their average selling price of their phones. I don't support Apple for this reason and now Samsung is following the same model.

For those who say SD card support is dying, please explain why LG, HTC, Sony and now Motorola all support SD cards in their flagship phones.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: Are you gonna buy the Galaxy Note 5?

I will not be. I am going to snag a Moto X Style (or "Pure Edition" for us in the US) -- I want to try stock Android :).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I will not be. I am going to snag a Moto X Style (or "Pure Edition" for us in the US) -- I want to try stock Android :).

I think you'll love it.

I run stock Android on 2 devices and have used a Nexus 5 before. It's simply awesome, albeit a little barebones.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site

I said as late as yesterday I would hold off but I couldn't help it. My biggest issue was the smaller battery so I hope it holds up.

I was just going to get the Moto Pure but I wanted to try it. I have had every Note to date, love the Spen and split screen. I use both enough to warrant having the note. I switch a between phones a lot. Way too much. I have the S6 Active and 6+. Switch back and forth weekly. The Note line itself is one phone that holds me the longest and I never sell the old model until the next one is released.

I ordered today and it already shipped. I'll give it 10 days, if the battery holds up I'll keep it. If not it's the Moto for me.

Sent from one of my many phones using Tapatalk

I'd love a note active... And I also switch phones too often.

If people like you give their impression and say it is worth it, I'll probably still upgrade, because I am a tool.

But I hate giving in to the update cycle when they could damn well update the note 4 to having most of the new features of the note 5.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I pre-ordered my Note 5 tonight.

For me a Samsung phone isn't about removable batteries and SD card slots. Those features were great, but that wouldn't be enough for me to buy or not buy a phone lol.

Their screens are still my favorite, cameras are still my favorite, battery life still my favorite, quick and wireless charging still my favorite. I can live with touch wiz (Nova launcher is going right on it first day), and I happen to think the new build of the phone is stunning.

Sue me.

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
If real world reviews show the new processor and battery mix is the same battery life as the note4 then i will consider it.

Ive complained about the glass back, but its going to have a case on it anyway if i buy it. I hope they made the speaker louder, i make a lot of speaker calls, and with the note4 i didnt use my bluetooth speaker in my car..

I know ive read mostly complaints, and i cant argue with them. However, if the battery can get me though a long day like the note4 did than i might consider it. Sadly, my droid turbo w a 3900mah battery gets almost the same as my note4 did. I dont have an explanation for it, so maybe the 5 will be at least as good as the 4.

I wont buy an LG, just dont like them, so its not an option.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
No removable battery, no SD card slot

Why are you so surprised?

Maybe it's just me, but I assumed it was pretty obvious that's the way Samsung was leaning after the release of the S6.

Anyways, complain now buy later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: No removable battery, no SD card slot

Actually, WAY BACK when the S6 was revealed, I expected the Note 5 to be the same.

Of course, I did hope for an SD slot, but really, I expected this long ago.

E90 Commie

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site

I am not planning on buying it either and keep using my Xperia Z Ultra C6833 (with a C6802 as a spare one).

1. The screen is too small (5.7 inches is uncomfortable to use compared to 6.44 inches).
2. No microSD card. I have a 128 GB card, which is almost full and is planning on getting a 256 GB one when they are available. A device without expandable storage is just out of the question.
3. No IP certification despite glass on the back. I don't really like glass back covers but can understand them IF the device is water resistant (easier to clean and wipe).
4. Fixed battery despite a lack of IP certification. Also a deal breaker. If the device is water resistant, a fixed battery can be more understandable but not in this case.
5. Knox, locked bootloaders (AT&T and Verizon) and efuse. Nuff' said.
6. Unstandardized hardware as usual (different versions for different carriers, problems with getting an unlocked device with the right LTE bands and so forth).

I wouldn't trade my Ultra for this device under any circumstances, especially not when I am rocking BlissPop right now - which is an excellent ROM. I see several cases where my use would degrade with a Note 5 and no case where it would improve.

If Samsung introduce a "Note 7" with a 7 inch display and the typical Note features paired with a microSD card slot and transatlantic LTE, I would consider it.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

If I did buy it it won't be for at least 6 months. That should be long enough for all the bugs to be worked out.

from the Elegance

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I have 3 batteries for my Note 4 and I can go almost an entire week without needing a charger. I will have a hard time going back to being glue to a charger ever again.

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site

Does not have removable battery blah blah blah. Cannot add more memory blah blah blah. The fact is almost nobody carries around extra batteries. If it is so critical get an external quick charge extended battery. We are also moving away from needing everything local. With things like Google photos, carousel, spotify etc etc who cares.

Those few of you out there that like these features, you were never the primary audience of the note. The press so overlays your importance in the success or failure of this phone.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

We finally are getting to a point where 128gb MicroSD cards are becoming affordable so when companies don't provide micro SD slot its stupid. But that certainly hasn't stopped Samsung from selling millions of Galaxy S6 phones so i don't really blame them. I blame the people who buy the phones since they are encouraging companies to drop external storage support and instead charge a hefty premium for more inbuilt storage ala Apple.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781