No simultaneous voice and data on Note 5? - Verizon Wireless

dswatson83

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Re:

I feel like my phone sometimes refuses to connect to a network when LTE is not around....I'm wondering if Advanced Calling is to blame by making it try to stay on LTE even if the signal is barely there. Going to try tuning it off for a couple days to see if that resolves my problem.

Big Red Umpire

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
That's the key, you have to be connected to a 4G LTE network. That coupled with using the Advanced Calling feature is what allows you to do simultaneous voice and data.
The note 4 and the S5 were the last of the Samsung phones to allow for simultaneous voice and data without using VoLTE which requires having a solid connection to a 4G LTE network as the S6 and the Note 5 no longer have a CDMA antenna, they only have an LTE antenna. Neither antenna can handle simultaneous voice and data without without that VoLTE on the 4G LTE network that the LTE antenna can. That's the glitch that's been noticed as they move away from dual antenna's and only the single LTE.
Yes, I understand that CDMA is considered old, out dated or quickly going away technology, but the reality is for customers without access to that 4G LTE network, it is essential unless you're using a GSM device with AT&T, though they are not far behind Verizon and Sprint in the LTE only arena.
The iPhone 5 was the last, so the iPhone 6 does not, and the LG G Vista as well, not the G4 or the V10. The Droid Turbo and the Droid Maxx cannot as well.

CESSNA0172

Mar 27, 2016
Visit site
Just got the note 5 today, and noticed while I was surfing the web that a message popped up when a call came in saying that I could not use mobile data while on a phone call? My S4, S5, and Note 4 all could without any special settings or anything.

Was this a known before launch?
Is there a setting that needs changed?
Is Verizon trying to monetize by charging for an additional feature?

Thanks in advance!

This is coming alot late obviously but if you're still having the issue, I've found a solution that may help. I have a Note 5 and I turned on advanced calling, no luck. Eventually I went over to my Verizon app and noticed I was paying for caller ID. A feature I don't need. I discontinued it and afterwards my data and talk was spontaneously functioning. I went back and forth testing it and sure enough, caller ID feature makes the device unable to browse and talk simultaneously. I literally done this testing 10X to be sure and every time it was spot on

novice

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
On my Verizon phone (w/out unlimited data) if I turn on advanced calling to obtain data during a call I'm warned I will lose Caller ID. So I opt for caller ID.

aly koly

May 3, 2016
Visit site
I can't make any calls

Hello
I got a galaxy note 5 , and unlocked it, but still can't make any call, even though that I can use the data perfectly?!!?.
Best regards

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: I can't make any calls

Hello
I got a galaxy note 5 , and unlocked it, but still can't make any call, even though that I can use the data perfectly?!!?.
Best regards

Is your Note 5 a Verizon version? If not, may want to contact your wireless provider for help in activating voice and calling.

tungsten c

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

I am having the same problem now in sprint. I am trying to upgrade the phone but the S& wont do simultaneous voice and data. Do you know of any phone that will do that? MOTO, LG etc.. and why is it that they remove that from the phones? Connectivity is not that the main objective of having a mobile device?. Thanks

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Re: I can't make any calls

Hello
Best regards

I had to call Verizon Tech to activate the HD Calling and then toggle it on, in the Phone. Once this was done, both data and calling were enabled at the same time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699