For those wondering, this is the phone you were waiting for.

shadrap

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Little back story. I am the guy which has had every flagship literally, but always seemed to migrate back to an iPhone and currently have the 6 Plus.

I picked up the Note 5 with hesitation. Thinking this would be like the other Notes and I would quickly swap back to iPhone once I saw how janky the software was. Boy was I wrong. They did it, Samsung finally did it. I had hear stories the jankiness was gone with the s6 but dismissed it. This phone is as smooth as any iPhone, HTC, or Moto that I have ever used.

The OS still has the cartoon look but can easily be changed with the themes. I love the themes too by the way. The first thing I did was change it to material dark and it really does remind me of a Nexus like experience.

Camera - Fantastic and better than iPhone 6 Plus, has also drastically improved in low light. The double tap to open the camera app is so useful and quicker than Moto X double twist.

Fingerprint Scanner - It is as fast as my 6 Plus, but better. How is it better? The haptic feedback and quick rescan. The 6 Plus would continually end up asking for passcode. Not on the Note 5.

Jankiness - guys I just have to re-iterate the lag and staggers are gone. I have literally tortured this phone. Opening numerous apps, switching to the browser, back to the camera, running games. The phone scrolls and multitask as well as any I have ever owned including iPhones and Nexus devices.

Build Quality - Samsung really put there best into this phone. Is it a finger print magnet? Yes, but does it make a difference with a case? No... Screen is awesome and I cannot remember ever seeing whites this white except on iPhones.

Battery life - yes it is better than Note 4, but standby it's still not an iPhone. With the quick charge. I just cannot see battery life being an issues.

Negatives

Not sure why they got rid of IR blaster. I know this was an unusual niche, but I did enjoy it on the Note 4. No sd or removable battery

Heavy - coming from an iPhone the Note 5 is a little on the hefty size. You know it's there.

Headphones - Don't know if it's Samsung or Verizon, but none are included which sucks.

Android issues - I will miss iMessage and FaceTime. Apple has people by the balls with this. FaceTime, I rarely use, but know many people that do. iMessage on the other hand is soooo useful for sending videos and if only WiFi is available. I know there are other apps, but then the person on the other end must have it.

Final thought - Samsung has finally created a truly great all around phone. All the benefits of android with the smoothness and ease of use of iPhone. Well these are just my opinions. Take them with a grain of salt.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
The Screen: I had a Note 4 and a S6 edge, but this screen is just so bright and tight!! Everything is just so vibrant and deep!!

crapple message only works with other ppl with crapple phones. But you can use Hangouts with any OS.

And yes verizon cheaped out on us with no headphones, my sister got a AT&T Note 5 and she got headphones!!

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
I'm still on he fence but I agree that the new Samsung phones are a big step forward.

I wanted to add that the double tap to get into a GREAT camera is a huge usability step for many of us that use the camera often.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

James8561

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
crapple message only works with other ppl with crapple phones. But you can use Hangouts with any OS.
Actually Hangout isn't available on Windows or Blackberry AFAIK.

I don't understand why a couple of Apple exclusive apps made by apple is put under "Android issues"
Other than that good to know there's no lag

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have to agree. I've had a lot of Android phones and love it, but never a Samsung. I'm dumping my iPhone 6+. TouchWiz really isn't as awful as I thought it would be, and like you said, easily side-stepped with a theme and launcher. The phone is terrific, and I forgot how convenient wireless charging is. And fast charging? Who needs a removable battery when 20 minutes tops you back up. An almost perfect phone. That really sucks Verizon screwed you on the headphones - I actually really like them!

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I understand being bummed that you didn't get headphones with your Note, but the headphones are pretty lousy. You're not missing out on anything.

I tend to agree with everything you've said. This is the first Samsung phone I've owned since before the Galaxy line was created. I notice some occasional jankiness in the first few days of ownership but no more than I had on my iPhone 6. Overall this was a great step in the right direction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Actually Hangout isn't available on Windows or Blackberry AFAIK.

I don't understand why a couple of Apple exclusive apps made by apple is put under "Android issues"
Other than that good to know there's no lag

Actually skype is probably the best multi platform chat video messing app. I think it is avaliable on everything unlike hangouts and facetime.

Posted via the Android Central App

volsfan0911

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
LMAO, now that you mention it, there are no headphones. I absolutely missed that. Definitely not a big loss. Agree with everything you said. Am going to write my little mini review in a few minutes here but yeah, this is the best phone I've owned to date. If VZW had a decent signal in my house, it'd be perfect. Will probably just call customer service and get a repeater to solve the signal issue.

robertc88

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
There is a reason why folks are saying this is the best smartphone they have owned to date, because it is and they are truly able to ascertain that in the short time they have used it. Great job, Samsung. I put down my money and you delivered in spades.

co.ag.2005

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
LMAO, now that you mention it, there are no headphones. I absolutely missed that. Definitely not a big loss. Agree with everything you said. Am going to write my little mini review in a few minutes here but yeah, this is the best phone I've owned to date. If VZW had a decent signal in my house, it'd be perfect. Will probably just call customer service and get a repeater to solve the signal issue.

I was bummed too. My Verizon GS6 came with the headphones but the Note 5 didn't. Oh well, the GS6 headphones, while comfortable, didn't sound very good.

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I def agree with all your points. I have had all the flagships just to find myself coming back to the iPhone. I had the S6 ad left it and went right back with the 6 Plus. So i picked up the Note 5 today and I haven't put this device down since I got it! Great device and I will like to see how the device performs over time for right now it has completely won me over and I have already sold my 6 Plus on Swappa and for a great price as well! Sticking with the N5 for the long haul!

zmann

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Headphones is Verizon. I have sprint and it came with headphones, although I'll never use them.

Note 5 is DOPE

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Little back story. I am the guy which has had every flagship literally, but always seemed to migrate back to an iPhone and currently have the 6 Plus.

I picked up the Note 5 with hesitation. Thinking this would be like the other Notes and I would quickly swap back to iPhone once I saw how janky the software was. Boy was I wrong. They did it, Samsung finally did it. I had hear stories the jankiness was gone with the s6 but dismissed it. This phone is as smooth as any iPhone, HTC, or Moto that I have ever used.

The OS still has the cartoon look but can easily be changed with the themes. I love the themes too by the way. The first thing I did was change it to material dark and it really does remind me of a Nexus like experience.

Camera - Fantastic and better than iPhone 6 Plus, has also drastically improved in low light. The double tap to open the camera app is so useful and quicker than Moto X double twist.

Fingerprint Scanner - It is as fast as my 6 Plus, but better. How is it better? The haptic feedback and quick rescan. The 6 Plus would continually end up asking for passcode. Not on the Note 5.

Jankiness - guys I just have to re-iterate the lag and staggers are gone. I have literally tortured this phone. Opening numerous apps, switching to the browser, back to the camera, running games. The phone scrolls and multitask as well as any I have ever owned including iPhones and Nexus devices.

Build Quality - Samsung really put there best into this phone. Is it a finger print magnet? Yes, but does it make a difference with a case? No... Screen is awesome and I cannot remember ever seeing whites this white except on iPhones.

Battery life - yes it is better than Note 4, but standby it's still not an iPhone. With the quick charge. I just cannot see battery life being an issues.

Negatives

Not sure why they got rid of IR blaster. I know this was an unusual niche, but I did enjoy it on the Note 4. No sd or removable battery

Heavy - coming from an iPhone the Note 5 is a little on the hefty size. You know it's there.

Headphones - Don't know if it's Samsung or Verizon, but none are included which sucks.

Android issues - I will miss iMessage and FaceTime. Apple has people by the balls with this. FaceTime, I rarely use, but know many people that do. iMessage on the other hand is soooo useful for sending videos and if only WiFi is available. I know there are other apps, but then the person on the other end must have it.

Final thought - Samsung has finally created a truly great all around phone. All the benefits of android with the smoothness and ease of use of iPhone. Well these are just my opinions. Take them with a grain of salt.

Here here I agree they finally did it. This is close to as perfect as they could get!

decarlo4

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site

It must be Verizon because my husband purchased this phone through AT&T and his came with headphones. Which is something new because I have a Note 4 and he had a Note 3 and neither came with headphones, they were also on AT&T.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

ThomaspHK

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
Coming from a one plus one, this thing is brilliant. The camera is great. Loving it. Build quality is very good. Still not quite Apple level in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles