Note 5 screen issue when outdoors!

anon(5373819)

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

Loved my Note 5 until I went on a walk with my fiancee! We decided to walk our dog at 3pm, basically it was hot and sunny outside. When I pulled out my phone to take a photo of them, I noticed a faint "burn in" looking streaks running from top to bottom of my phone. In addition to that there was a spot in the bottom left hand side as well.

I thought some how I burned in my screen playing too much Fallout Shelter! (Great Game)

Well pissed off and swearing off Samsung (and perhaps Android) for the rest of my life, I ignored it for the duration of the walk. When I got home, I downloaded a screen burn in tool. During the Google Play search, it didn't dawn on me the "burn in" marks weren't there. When I ran the screen burn in tool, I didn't see any marks.

I eventually figured out that when I'm outdoors and the sun is shinning super bright, it kicks up the brightness to beyond what I can achieve using the stock slider, and when that happens, it shows these markings.

It's a manufacturing defect! Now I'm not sure if it's a big enough concern for me to swear off Android, but it may be for Samsung. With my S6E experience, and now this, but wanted to ask you guys if you experience anything like this? I could very well just have received a disappointing SN5, which can easily be replaced.

Thanks for your time.

jsiler

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It's normal on the S6 and Note 5 OLEDS unfortunately. Every single one I have seen has this issue. The vertical line is the display housing. My note 5 has this issue. Not much we can do a out it.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Huh... I've had every Note since the 2 and I don't think I can say I've ever seen this. I'll look for it next time I'm outside

jsiler

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
It only started with the S6 line. The Note 4 and previous generations did not have this issue,. It's the cost of slimming down these devices. So far I've seen it in the S6, S6 Edge, S6 active and the Note 5. Just gotta learn to live with OLED defects like this.
Huh... I've had every Note since the 2 and I don't think I can say I've ever seen this. I'll look for it next time I'm outside

sup3r1or

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I will go to check it now outdoors. What I did notice today on a really bright day, it feels like my screen if flickering all the time in a very bright sun.

just went out +33 C degrees here in burning sun. Opened my note and looked at screen in direct sunlight and any other possible angle. No I have not noticed any line and I did look very thoroughly.

actlightning

Aug 23, 2015
Visit site
well it is known fact on all s6 and later on devices. in Dubai all the shops with s6 testers have burnt in screens beyond repair. It is a shipwreck and i'm not talking about 1 phone, I'm talking about 5 shops, 5 devices per shop so around 25 s6 devices I saw that had severe burnt in screen...nothing can be done it is a samsung feature!

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
This is a feature that started with the Note 4: Here's how you make your Galaxy Note 4's display usable in direct sunlight | Android Central

Excerpt:

"Auto Brightness, is one that you want to have checked if you plan on using your phone out in the sun.

It may seem counter intuitive to have Auto Brightness checked when you're outdoors as you'd prefer that the display is always at 100 percent in bright sunlight, but it's best to trust the phone's software in this situation. When you're outside and the sun is hitting the phone directly at a high enough level, the Note 4 will go into a completely maxed out brightness mode — jumping up to 750 nits, over the standard max of 500 nits — to make the screen viewable in even the brightest situations.

This 750 nit brightness mode is so bright and uses so much power that it isn't accessible as a standard mode or setting, so the only way to let it activate is to use Auto Brightness. When it kicks in you'll notice a dramatic increase in brightness on the screen, so much so that the colors on the display also wash out a bit as a side effect."

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Ohh! Washed out colors - yes I have seen this from time to time, but it'd immediately disappear when I turned the screen off and back on so I assumed a very small software glitch

jsiler

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Has nothing to do with colors or auto brightness. You will see it outdoors on a white screen.

Read about it here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s6/general/issues-issues-discussion-workarounds-t3081836

Last edited:

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've never seen it with any phone and I use the light (white) set up for everything, and an example is the AC forums app. Not sure why I haven't seen it, I have full sun when I'm in the car a lot, as I have the top down.

tpags

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I can see a smudge like discoloring on the top right of my screen in the sun.

Posted via the Android Central App

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned this elsewhere, but my Note 5 doesn't do this. Auto brightness on, direct sunlight, no issues. Very usable when it cranks up that display too in those situations. More so than most other phones.

Can those who see this issue use a real camera or 2nd phone to take a photo of your phone outside in this condition? Again, I tried it many times today after seeing this in another thread, but mine is definitely fine ..

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Op it's not a defect. Please don't start an XDA style "DEFECT RMA TIME" thread. The super bright is only a temporary thing so you can see your display. Just be glad it's not a Nexus 6 display. You cannot see that thing at all in direct sunlight.

Posted via the Android Central App