Isn't the Note 5's screen supposed to be "much better" than the old Note 4 screen?

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the Note 5's screen supposed to be "much better" than the old Note 4 screen?

I'm confused by the lack of difference. I played with the Note 5 for about 15 minutes at the Verizon store today. Next to my current Note 4, the screen looked identical and I couldn't tell how the Note 5 screen is supposed to be better?

One thing that I did notice was that the Note 5 was much faster than my Note 4. (although that could be due to the fact that my Note 4 has close to 110 apps installed, including HERE navigation app with 6GB of offline data... my internal memory only has about 300MB of available space left... and the 200GB MicroSDXC card is also completely full)

Rometheus

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site

I'm confused by the lack of difference. I played with the Note 5 for about 15 minutes at the Verizon store today. Next to my current Note 4, the screen looked identical and I couldn't tell how the Note 5 screen is supposed to be better?

One thing that I did notice was that the Note 5 was much faster than my Note 4. (although that could be due to the fact that my Note 4 has close to 110 apps installed, including HERE navigation app with 6GB of offline data... my internal memory only has about 300MB of available space left... and the 200GB MicroSDXC card is also completely full)
110 apps, good lawwwwwd!!!

~Blessed From My Note 4~

Amy wineBerry

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I've never heard any reports of the Note 5's screen being significantly better than the Note 4's screen. In fact, everyone expected the screens to be the same. The only difference any review has noted has been that the Note 5 is brighter.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Who told you the Note 5 screen was "Much better" then the Note 4's already excellent screen? Nowhere have I heard or read that.

I have both the Note 4 and Note 5. Both have excellent screens. The Note 5's is better though by a bit. It's a bit brighter, a bit crisper, and also has a denser screen (more lines show up in your Gmail, or on a web site, etc), so things are slightly smaller on screen. The 5 also has a more neutral or blueish white, compared to my Note 4's slightly yellow white (I prefer the bluer look, but that is totally subjective).

15 minutes in a bright store is some time, but probably enough time to notice all these things I bet.

Bottom line for me: The Note 4 screen is fantastic. The Note 5 screen is slightly better in a few ways. YMMV I suppose.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
While I agree with dsignori about the brightness of it, it's definitely not a denser screen (both have same resolution). More lines show up because default text is smaller.

When I used my 4 and 5 side by side, I saw much better color reproduction... so much better I now thing there was something maybe wrong with my individual Note 4.

The one thing I did hear from the Samsung release was that the Note 5 screen is more power efficient.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Actually he likely got the higher density information from right here on the AC Note 5 full review.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 677.jpg
    677.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 147

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
Note 5 is better than note 4 display. They use different panels anyways. 2 months ago I got 2 regular s6e 128 models and one came with 5.02 installed and the screen was not as good as the one that came with 5.1.1 installed. There was a noticeable difference. The one with 5.1.1 obviously had a better panel because it was newer.

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Actually he likely got the higher density information from right here on the AC Note 5 full review.

Yeah it's a software thing, not literally denser pixels. Perhaps I'm incorrect and the terminology for setting things to be smaller on the device is actually called "denser"

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sitting here with both my Note 4 and Note 5 side by side as a prepare to sell the Note 4. The Note 5 is slightly more vibrant and crisp.

jsiler

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Note 5 is a much better screen indoors. Outdoors you have the defect where under bright conditions you can see the display housing through the touch panel. Looks pretty bad but not a deal breaker. All in all in much prefer the note 5 screen.

centerwaters

May 2, 2012
Visit site
Note 5 is a much better screen indoors. Outdoors you have the defect where under bright conditions you can see the display housing through the touch panel. Looks pretty bad but not a deal breaker. All in all in much prefer the note 5 screen.

wait, what? more details on this defect, please!

I'm a very anal person when it comes to something like that. Just how bad is it? I use my phone outdoors mostly.(construction work on a 58-story building)

Thanks!

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it's a software thing, not literally denser pixels. Perhaps I'm incorrect and the terminology for setting things to be smaller on the device is actually called "denser"

The only reference to density I had seen was the one I quoted above. So I had to look into this a little deeper just to see why AC article would mention a difference if there isn't one. What I found was a spec table that list both screens with the same resolution however it list the Note 4 at 5.7" and the Note 5 at 5.66". Density is said to be 515 ppi on the Note 4 and 519 ppi on the 5. Lol, I'm just thinking 4 ppi is not something too many people are going to notice without the two phones side by side on the same view and then only if you are trying to find a difference.

Ref: https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-vs-galaxy-note-5-comparison

Attachments

• 683.jpg
    683.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 67

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I was at a Verizon store with my dad checking out Samsungs new offerings and when I held my dads Note 4 next to the new 5, my dad goes, "WOW, that screen (N5) looks better than mine!". I tell him he has a low res wallpaper and on 60% brightness thats why. I quickly look for a nice high res pic on Zedge and blast the brightness to 100% like on the N5 and they looked like twins! We left happy knowing the N4 still looks great although my dad did like the S6 edge+.

jordyd

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The only reference to density I had seen was the one I quoted above. So I had to look into this a little deeper just to see why AC article would mention a difference if there isn't one. What I found was a spec table that list both screens with the same resolution however it list the Note 4 at 5.7" and the Note 5 at 5.66". Density is said to be 515 ppi on the Note 4 and 519 ppi on the 5. Lol, I'm just thinking 4 ppi is not something too many people are going to notice without the two phones side by side on the same view and then only if you are trying to find a difference.

Ref: https://www.androidpit.com/samsung-galaxy-note-4-vs-galaxy-note-5-comparison

Ah! So that's how they got the Note 5 less wide than the Note 4. Slimming down the display just that tiny bit.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

My Note 5 looks great outside, just like my Note 4 does. Not sure what this is about.

itsnotmeitsyou

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
My Note 5 looks great outside, just like my Note 4 does. Not sure what this is about.
Every Note 5 and S6 I have seen have had the "issue" he's talking about. Use your phone in direct sunlight with auto brightness on, you will see it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I've seen it on the 4. It's only when it's REALLY bright out and even then only sometimes. It's so rare for me I had to look it up before I remembered what it was

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34