RAW Photo format

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone shooting RAW format? If so, what apps are you using for viewing and/or processing?

Are you doing any processing on the phone or all from a computer?

Posted via the Android Central App

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Select the pro mode then go into camera settings and enable. It will produce two files, one jpg and one dng. Both will be saved to the camera folder but only the jpg will show up in the gallery, you will have to browse to the camera folder to see the dng. Photo shop will open the file and gives some processing controls and allows you to save as a jpg.

I'm wondering which are some of the better apps to use for processing on the phone it's self. I can put the files in Dropbox, then open on my laptop in Photoshop but I will definitely want the ability to process some photos while out and about.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The best apps for processing RAW are the Adobe apps: Photoshop, Elements or Lightroom. They all use the same Adobe Camera RAW plugin, although a few features are "crippled" in the "Elements" version (things like batch processing).

But, in most cases, RAW will be pretty useless on the Note 5, or any other phone. With the tiny sensor that phones have, not much useful data is saved in RAW, as the pixels are SO small. Also, noise reduction isn't applied in a RAW image - and there is a LOT of noise on small-sensor images, although you can do noise processing on a RAW image. Good noise processing, however, often requires a separate post-processing program or plugin.

I don't have my Note 5 yet, so haven't tested it, but don't have a lot of hope that RAW will be much use.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
There's only one raw editor on Android that I'm aware of, and can't recall its name. Folks didn't seem real thrilled with it, so I haven't given it much thought.
Doubt we'll see much progress on raw software capabilities until more smartphones make use of the format. There's only a few phones that have it as an option.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
The problem with implementing a RAW editor, is that all RAW formats are different, and they change frequently when new phones come out. Implementing a RAW processor requires a LOT of work and constant upgrades. That's why nobody but Adobe has been able to master it. Adobe probably has 95% of the image-editing market and can afford the resources.

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
The best apps for processing RAW are the Adobe apps: Photoshop, Elements or Lightroom. They all use the same Adobe Camera RAW plugin, although a few features are "crippled" in the "Elements" version (things like batch processing).

But, in most cases, RAW will be pretty useless on the Note 5, or any other phone. With the tiny sensor that phones have, not much useful data is saved in RAW, as the pixels are SO small. Also, noise reduction isn't applied in a RAW image - and there is a LOT of noise on small-sensor images, although you can do noise processing on a RAW image. Good noise processing, however, often requires a separate post-processing program or plugin.

I don't have my Note 5 yet, so haven't tested it, but don't have a lot of hope that RAW will be much use.

I use Photoshop Elements on my desktop and laptop and it handles all my needs with no issue. I'm way more the hobbyist photographer and enjoy shooting a Saturday afternoon soccer game and maybe a few sunsets from time to time. I've always enjoyed the ability to edit and adjust my SLR photos starting from RAW just due to the wide range of possibilities. Now with RAW format on my phone I'm really looking for the same type of edit options and mostly for fun as a hobby.

I have Photoshop Express on the phone and it works fine. I am more just wondering if anyone has found anything else I might want to try.

Thanks for the more detailed look at the RAW file hurdles. I'm mostly playing around with my new shinny toy and trying everything out for now. Not sure I will ever shoot more than a few RAW images to play around with. The camera does an amazing job in normal mode for my everyday life.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm interested in seeing the differences in the RAW image captured on the phone, and the jpg post processing the phone does. I imagine that will be the biggest benefit to it, to see if you like the way the phone processes the image, and if not, use the RAW image and adjust the image yourself on Adobe Photoshop desktop.

I have the Note 4 but it doesn't have the RAW option. I may pass by Best Buy at some point to try out the Note 5, as I usually do with new phones, and take a few RAW and jpg images, if it does so simultaneously. If someone has a good RAW and jpg image taken on the Note 5, could you possibly share one? Through Dropbox or something similar, so quality won't be loss. Just interested in seeing what can be done with it.

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm interested in seeing the differences in the RAW image captured on the phone, and the jpg post processing the phone does. I imagine that will be the biggest benefit to it, to see if you like the way the phone processes the image, and if not, use the RAW image and adjust the image yourself on Adobe Photoshop desktop.

I have the Note 4 but it doesn't have the RAW option. I may pass by Best Buy at some point to try out the Note 5, as I usually do with new phones, and take a few RAW and jpg images, if it does so simultaneously. If someone has a good RAW and jpg image taken on the Note 5, could you possibly share one? Through Dropbox or something similar, so quality won't be loss. Just interested in seeing what can be done with it.

If you search Google, you should find a few examples of RAW via Photoshop vs in camera jpg processing on the LG G4. Should be similar experience with the Note.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I just took this test photo but haven't changed anything in either. Is this what you were asking for?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9bmc82zkp6jnfrg/AAAIF4Jl8-IcnsIimXIEU9uka?dl=0

Appreciate being able to compare these two pics, thanks!

Personally, I like the RAW image better. The jpg version seems too aggressive with the noise reduction, and at times, detail is loss in a lot of areas in that picture. I prefer to capture as much detail as possible, and I'm not bothered by the noise in pictures. But even if I were, I would prefer to reduce the noise myself and later save the file as .png or another higher format. I definitely like what I'm seeing with the RAW file and the choice you have of altering the image as you want, much more than the software compression they do.

If I had that option on the Note 4, I would take pics with the RAW format. Really nice.

Bishop_99

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
If you search Google, you should find a few examples of RAW via Photoshop vs in camera jpg processing on the LG G4. Should be similar experience with the Note.

Thanks. I never really looked it up as I wasn't sure if the pictures uploaded were going to be compromised in any way, but I guess that if they are doing a comparison, they would keep it as authentic as possible. Thankfully, Connert was able to provide me with those pictures and I'm able to test that out right now.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon