Note 5 - headphone jack audio performance measurements

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

Some hardcore audiophile data here. Measured the output of the Note 5 using AudioPrecision APx525. Some interesting facts and graphs below.

Simply put: it's an audiophile's dream!

• Supports high resolution playback up to 192 kHz. Also FLAC by the way.
  • Extremely flat frequency response: <0.03 dB delta upto 20 kHz, <0.35 dB delta upto 96 kHz
  • Very good dynamic range: 98 dB at max output level, 120dB at default output level
  • Relatively low output level: -8dBV into a 16 Ohm load (for reference, Asian iPhone 6 = -1 dBV)
  • Output impedance: 4.6 Ohm. May lead to coloration if you have a headphone with strong impedance swings.

NOTE: all measurements done into a 16 Ohm load (standard headphone impedance).

Graphs
Relative output level in dB
Note 5 Relative Level.jpg

THD+N spectrum
Note 5 TD+N Spectrum.jpg

UPDATE
I've done some more measurements to understand what the UHQ and Tube Amp Pro settings do. No surprises really, pure gimmicks in my opinion.

(1) Tube Amp Pro
yXac6ZQ.jpg

Relative response level

NSrolcD.jpg

THD+N spectrum

So, the Tube settings does 3 things:
  1. EQ the low end. Less sub and more low mid range.
  2. Add harmonic distortion in the low frequencies.
  3. Remove very high frequencies.

Kind of expected for this kind of effect. I'll leave it up to your own subjective evaluation whether you want less bass and more distortion in your music :laugh:

(2) UHQ
I've only tested UHQ using an uncompressed file, but I think I know what it is trying to do.

pS3Yqlk.jpg

RED curve = no UHQ spectrum
GREEN curve = UHQ spectrum

When using a high res file, turning UHQ ON did nothing. When I used a file which only has content up to 20 kHz ... something did happen.
It's clearly adding ultrasound content to the audio (i.e. content that was not originally there!). The test signal used here is an analytical multi tone signal. The measurement is normally very clean and sharp (see the red curve). The UHQ measurement shows (1) more distortion and (2) additional ultrasound harmonic content. The only reason I can imagine for adding this noise is to force the DAC to work in a higher sampling rate. I don't see the point to be honest, especially if it's being done by adding unnecessary noise and quite high levels of ultrasound harmonics.

Last edited:

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Wow awesome thanks for the measurements.. How about audio over bluetooth? Is it any better than on Note 4?

Thanks,
Osho

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Wow awesome thanks for the measurements.. How about audio over bluetooth? Is it any better than on Note 4?

Thanks,
Osho

I don't have a Note-4 to compare. Personal experience with BT on this phone has been very positive.

oshogg

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok.. Thanks, any suggestions for where I can get 24 bit 192kHz songs to play on Note 5? Thanks

Osho

shibosway

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
The advertised high quality audio output was a definite selling point for me. I actually spent several ours last night listening to a bunch of my music on my Grado SR80s and it's very pleasant. I've also decided that, as much as I don't like software audio enhancers on principle, that the UHQ upscaler is going to stay on pretty much all the time and that the Tube Amp simulator is kind of nice for less dense, well recorded tracks with good dynamic range i.e. a lot of my jazz and classical selections.

Would you mind measuring again with the UHQ upscaler on. I'm curious as to what exactly it's doing to the sound because whether it's on my at home headphones, earbuds, or in the car it just sounds better to my ears.

If only it pushed a little louder... I have some thirsty headphones.

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
The advertised high quality audio output was a definite selling point for me. I actually spent several ours last night listening to a bunch of my music on my Grado SR80s and it's very pleasant. I've also decided that, as much as I don't like software audio enhancers on principle, that the UHQ upscaler is going to stay on pretty much all the time and that the Tube Amp simulator is kind of nice for less dense, well recorded tracks with good dynamic range i.e. a lot of my jazz and classical selections.

Would you mind measuring again with the UHQ upscaler on. I'm curious as to what exactly it's doing to the sound because whether it's on my at home headphones, earbuds, or in the car it just sounds better to my ears.

If only it pushed a little louder... I have some thirsty headphones.

Sure, I can try. I don't think it will do anything for high res files. It might use upsampling to force the DAC to run in higher sampling rates (i.e. better filters).

I've updated the output impedance measurement as well.

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
UPDATE: added info and measurements about the UHQ and Tube Amp settings. Pure gimmicks. My advice: leave them off... It will not make your device sound better. But forget those features, the device sounds beautiful! Loving it.

Daniel Collignon

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey man,

I know this post is old but still. I was wondering whether you think PowerAMP is a beneficial app for my Note 5. I think it is but I would really like to know your opinion.

And what do you think about the new earphones that Samsung shipped them with?

Also, how is the audio quality through PowerAMP?

Best regards,
Daniel Collignon

Last edited:

Willyman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Hey man,

I know this post is old but still. I was wondering whether you think PowerAMP is a beneficial app for my Note 5. I think it is but I would really like to know your opinion.

And what do you think about the new earphones that Samsung shipped them with?

Also, how is the audio quality through PowerAMP?

Best regards,
Daniel Collignon

There will be no difference in audio quality when using PowerAmp. If you prefer the UI than sure, go for it. Only differences (as far as I know) that can be obtained would be by using something like Viper4Android which changes the way your Android device will route audio. But that requires root and frankly, I don't really see the point except perhaps lower latency.

So, in short, if you don't mind the UI, use the stock player.

I've not tested the earphones yet. They're still in the box :D

Mark Valentine

Mar 20, 2014
Visit site
If I only knew what half of everything you mentioned. I just plug in my over the ear headphones and just tweak with all the audio settings until I'm pleased. >.<

Devin Doucet

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any testing equipment, just my ears. My ears tell me that the uhq makes my mp3's sound quite a bit better and the tube amp is a little better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz