Note 5 screen turned off and won't come back on

ambreaux405

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
I bought the Note 5 from Best Buy and picked it up just an hour ago.
I got home and it turned on just fine. I logged in and it was in the process of downloading my apps when suddenly the screen just went black. I thought the phone was rebooting...but the buttons on the bottom still lit up. I held down the power button until it restarted...I felt the vibration, heard the AT&T welcome chime..but the screen is still black. Restarted it a few times, tried a reset, but same thing. I can hear the phone getting notifications but the screen remains off.

I definitely didn't drop it or do anything to it. I have only had it an hour.

Am I missing something? Should I just exchange it at the store tomorrow for a different one? This worries me...but I couldn't find anyone else with this issue when I googled.

Thanks for reading!

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
This probably isn't the case, but you didn't mention charging it.
When I got mine from t-mobile it had a low battery so I went ahead and charged it fully even though the rep had put the contents from my S5 on it, so I'm sure it was good to go, but I decided to charge it fully anyway.

Next thought. Do you remember the last app you downloaded before this happened? Maybe it was the app.

Posted via the *Note 5*

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a soft reset? Press and hold volume down and home buttons for about 7 seconds, see if it helps, if not definitely get a replacement.

ambreaux405

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
This probably isn't the case, but you didn't mention charging it.
When I got mine from t-mobile it had a low battery so I went ahead and charged it fully even though the rep had put the contents from my S5 on it, so I'm sure it was good to go, but I decided to charge it fully anyway.

Next thought. Do you remember the last app you downloaded before this happened? Maybe it was the app.

Posted via the *Note 5*

It was on 27% so it definitely wasn't dead. I also plugged it in but that didn't help.
I don't know which app was downloading, I think I had just hit "update all" and had just approved an app but I don't remember which one.

ambreaux405

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
Have you tried a soft reset? Press and hold volume down and home buttons for about 7 seconds, see if it helps, if not definitely get a replacement.

Yes I tried that reset and the screen stayed off. Will Best Buy give me any hassle? I don't want them to accuse me of having damaged it or something when I definitely did not.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes I tried that reset and the screen stayed off. Will Best Buy give me any hassle? I don't want them to accuse me of having damaged it or something when I definitely did not.

That, nobody can tell you for certain, you'll need to reach them and explain what happened and ask for a replacement.

So you did the soft reset and nothing, you mentioned that you did a test, was this one or a factory reset? Try going to Recovery mode, turn the phone off and press and hold volume up, home and power buttons until you hopefully set the Android robot on screen, if you get there then try the Wipe data/ Factory reset, if it doesn't work, don't waste too much time, just go to Best Buy.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It was on 27% so it definitely wasn't dead
Don't be too sure. Most phones ship at 80% or better charge. Your battery could be throwing a dendrite (see Lithium Battery Dendrite links if you want an education), and dropping to 0% every so often.

Follow my general rule for new phones - if there's a problem, ask them to replace it. Best Buy shouldn't give you any problem, because you're still within the cancellation period.

Another rule of mine - always charge the battery to 100% plus 30 minutes before turning it on the first time. If they want to run it in the store, have them do it with the charger plugged in. (With phones with removable batteries, I also have them not install the battery, or use their own battery. I guess that's why I still have some perfectly good 11 year old batteries.)

savita ashish

Feb 13, 2017
Visit site
Coolpad Note 5 screen turned off and won't come back on

The screen goes dead black and nothing happens. The phone remains in the On position but the display goes off (calls and notifications are heard). Have to long press restart button or try something or the other to restart it everytime. Can anyone pls explain whats wrong with my new coolpad note5.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Coolpad Note 5 screen turned off and won't come back on

The screen goes dead black and nothing happens. The phone remains in the On position but the display goes off (calls and notifications are heard). Have to long press restart button or try something or the other to restart it everytime. Can anyone pls explain whats wrong with my new coolpad note5.

Welcome to Android Central! FYI, this thread is for the Samsung Galaxy Note5, not the Coolpad.

Do you have a case on? If so, does it happen without the case?

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Re: Coolpad Note 5 screen turned off and won't come back on

Bring it back to Bestbuy as soon as you can and get a new one ,
You should not have to deal with defective item.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1