24 hrs with the Galaxy Note 5 from an Iphone 6+ owner

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The package came on time. That very familiar brown Fed-Ex box from Verizon that I love to see arrive. I am a phone nut and I buy almost every new phone that comes on the market. I love them all for different reasons. I was very excited about the Note 5. I have my Iphone 6+ as my daily driver and have had it since launch. My entire family is Apple and with one daughter in college and the other studying in Israel, FaceTime and Imessage is essential.

From the moment I took the Note 5 out of the box and fired it up this phone is different... The size is perfect, it feels great in the hand (due to the curved back). It is well balanced and has a real quality feel about it. The screen is bright and crisp and it is fast as hell!!

As far as battery life is concerned, Having it only a day it is impossible to judge. It came out of the box around 50% and I played with it for about and hour and then plugged it in and fully charged it. I was on it all night and when I went to bed, I listened to a podcast (Android Central of course) and fell asleep. When I woke up this morning it was at 33%. I am not sure that tells you much about the battery but it seems great so far.

This phone is every way possible is the best Android that I have ever touched, from the quality build, to the amazing screen, to good battery life and from what I am told that Camera is amazing also....

24 hours isn't enough to properly judge, but from what I have seen so far this is a keeper!!!

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I am the same, I prob have had nearly every flagship that has came out and constantly make the switch between iOS and Android. Since buying the Note 5 I have already sold my 6 Plus on Swappa. Yes features such as iMessage and Facetime are great to have but I can get over not having them, that's honestly the only thing personally that I miss from iPhone, other than that this device is a beast, easily the best Android device that I have ever owned.

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
From an iPhone 6 Plus, to a SGN5, and even I'm starting to warm up to the device.
Now I just need to get my music from iTunes to my new device...

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
From an iPhone 6 Plus, to a SGN5, and even I'm starting to warm up to the device.

I went to a Note from an iPhone about 6 months ago and downloaded Kies and it "stole" all my iTunes music upon download. Easiest swap ever.

Rodney Willis

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I just got my note 5 from Verizon yesterday. Im under the old edge agreement so i have 2 weeks to decide if i want to turn in my iphone 6 plus or keep the note 5 . . Right now im liking the note 5 and the features. But it does seem like the battery doesn't last as long as my iphone 6 plus

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I went to a Note from an iPhone about 6 months ago and downloaded Kies and it "stole" all my iTunes music upon download. Easiest swap ever.

If the Note 5 and S6 edge + are the same than S6 and S6 edge, then Kies will no longer work with them, now you need to use Samsung Smart Switch for PC or MAC, but I also think that you may download Smart Switch App for your Note 5 (if it didn't come pre-installed) and it asks you what do you want to transfer and if it's from an iPhone or another Android, so it should give you further instructions if you select iPhone.

Look here for more information and download links. Samsung Smart Switch™: Transfer Contacts, Music & More

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
The 6+ battery is great. I am also concerned about that.. I am just blown away by the quality feel and the screen of the Note 5.. I find myself just staring at it!!! (I have phone issues)

anon(67796)

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
The 6+ battery is great. I am also concerned about that.. I am just blown away by the quality feel and the screen of the Note 5.. I find myself just staring at it!!! (I have phone issues)

Yes the 6 Plus battery is in its own league and doubt that the Note 5 can get the battery life of the 6 Plus but how many devices can? Apple got it right with the battery on that thing. The battery life is one of the things I miss but I will get over it and besides Fast charging is a beast so.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
I am one to hold onto my iPhone 6 plus due to the note 5 battery not lasting me it is sucking bad right now but everything is good. I got mine on tuesday so this is day three for me and all is good except battery. example I pulled it off the charger at 3am this morning 100% went to bed work up at 8am and it was down to 87% and now at noon its is at 76 percent not sure what is going on but that is not good in my book. see the screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-08-27-11-34-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-08-27-11-34-17.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 381

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
As I check more frequently. I see tell battery going down also. At 68% so far today and my calls are still going to iPhone

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

double923

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I found iPhone 6+ battery last longer for my day to day usage compare to the Note 5 with the same usage. But what i really like about Note 5 is, charging the battery is super quick. I love both iPhone 6+ and Note 5. I guess that's why i have both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

llfloyd79

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I also came from a 6 Plus to the Note 5. Yes I do miss iMessage because most of my family and friends use iPhone as well, but like others, I can get over. That wasn't going to stop me from getting the Note 5. Love this phone. It's just something about having a Note...lol.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy Note 5

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm really enjoying the note 5. The fast charge is great. The only thing I really worry about with the battery is vacations or travel for work. I would never have to worry about the 6 plus or finding a charger before 9pm. It's a big change. I didn't know how much I used reachability and I'm getting used to how the same apps look and function different like twitter or facebook. Got used to swiping things up or to the side now trying to get used to the back button again. But my goodness the screen is gorgeous on the note. The camera is much better than 6 plus from my short time with the note. Another week to decide if I'm going to keep it.

anon(5061193)

Banned
Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
900pm and the phone is down to 25%.. Have not used it much in the last few hours... Not sure that it can make it through a real work day. I am going to give it a full business day tomorrow and see how it flies... I will use my trial period wisely.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I also came from a 6 Plus to the Note 5. Yes I do miss iMessage because most of my family and friends use iPhone as well, but like others, I can get over. That wasn't going to stop me from getting the Note 5. Love this phone. It's just something about having a Note...lol.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Yeah man, thought you were all in with the 6 Plus. You're just as bad as me. I'm debating on the Note or waiting for the 6S+ right now. As an Android fan first, pretty sure I gotta give that Note 5 a run.

mach1man

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
If you're new to android and installed a bunch of apps you may need to factory reset and re-install the ones that you have found you liked. Also check locations sometimes it gets switched to high accuracy which can drain the battery. Also Google now cards and the Google locations can drain the battery bc Google will keep a history on your past locations. I'm getting great battery life. But haven't really used much today. Took off at 8:30am at 100% now at 9:40 it's at 70%. Used Bluetooth music for about an hour, emails pushed when they arrive, social media, a few text and calls.

Posted via the Android Central App

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad you like the note 5. My favorite phone too. I have used the iPhone 6 plus as well as a variety of other phones.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
I too came from the iPhone 6+ and have noticed a big difference with the battery on my Note 5. Here is what I've noticed on my typical work morning on from both phones.

Wake up at 6 AM and use the flashlight on both the 6+ to find my way through the house to turn on some lights outside the bedroom (don't want to turn bedroom light on and wake up the wife). Arrive to work around 6:40 and enter the cafeteria. Where I sit, I had to place my 6+ in a certain location to get 4G and I would get about 1 to 2 bars, it'd bounce back between the two signals. First break would be at 9:30 and my 6+ battery percentage would be at 100 or 99% every time. I would always browse twitter and text the wife which would take my battery down to 96%-95%. I would repeat this for my lunch and 2:00 breaks and leave work with any where to 80%-85%.

Now with my Note 5 with the exact same scenarios but when I get to work I'm already at 99% percent and I only get 1 bar of 4G. When it comes down to my first break at 9:30, my battery is already down to 93%-96%. Again I'll check twitter but it takes a while to load up and I'll text my wife. I don't check twitter at my lunch and 2:00 breaks because it takes awhile for it to pop up. So just texting my wife and when I get off of work my battery is 71%-74%. I have location turned off, Bluetooth off, all bloatware disabled, screen brightness at 50%.

What can I turn off or do to improve the battery life? What am I doing wrong?