Heavily considering Note 4 over the Note 5. Any objections?

slobkabob

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Apparently the Note 4 is free with a new 2-year contract at AT&T, and I'm eligible to upgrade as of 2 months ago. I know I'll still have to pay the tax though. Although paying for the Note 5 isn't really a big problem, the lower cost of the Note 4 is enticing.

I looked into the two some more at GSM Arena (doing a compare). For the most part, they are the same, except when it comes to Platform (CPU, GPU, Chipset, and OS Version). The Note 5 appears to have some newer hardware and the potential to upgrade to a new OS after Lollipop (which might be the last OS for Note 4). I am wondering if those differences are significant enough to warrant the extra cost of the Note 5.

Samsung Galaxy Note5 vs. Samsung Galaxy Note 4 - GSMArena.com

Then of course there's the missing expandable memory and fixed battery in the Note 5, which is a big turn off but something I suppose I could live with.

Sort of undecided (but leaning towards the Note 4) at this point and hoping some previous Note 4 owners that are current Note 5 owners could offer any input.

Thanks!

djroy03

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Unless you're someone who needs the latest and greatest, I would say you'll be happy with the Note 4. You'll still have a great phone with an spen and the added benefit of expandable storage and removable battery. For me, I don't care about that so I went for the 5.

Posted via the Android Central App

slobkabob

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Not really interested in the latest and greatest, but one thing that has me worried is the Lollipop upgrade on the Note 4. I hear it slowed down the device and many people rolled back to KK.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy with the change. I have pictures and videos synced to Google Photo, free unlimited storage. I have some things on my Google Drive and some on my One Drive. I haven't missed the SD card, it is just different than having the card.

A big thing for me, the N4 felt heavy at the end of the day and it is a bit wider than the N5. The N5 is much better in your hand and feels even lighter.

Last edited:

Connert

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure but I think the AT&T Note 4 is now on 5.1.1. I could be wrong, but if not it should be soon. That would help with performance on lollipop.

If the money is not an issue and you can live with cloud storage, your best choice is the Note 5. I moved from the 4 to the 5 and couldn't be more satisfied. No regrets here, the 5 is so much faster and smoother. Just seems to be a step above in every way. A more polished device, fit, and finish along with performance.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I still have my N4 and the N5 has a much better screen and much, much more comfortable to hold.

There are a few differences that you will see, not huge function differences.

It just all depends if you are fine with what you have and want to wait and see what comes next.

macdarwin

May 20, 2014
Visit site
I had a note 4 before I upgraded to a note 5. Note 4 is a really good phone and I think it still considered a current flagship device. Unfortunately there is a major flaw on the note 4 that I actually experience with all 4 different replacement...the camera focusing. All had the same issue when you open the camera app and it wouldn't focus until you tap the phone from the side....hell even TMobile admit its common....I googled that issue and it's pretty common across all variant.

So far I have no issue with the note 5 and I'm pretty happy with it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
After three comparisons I still do not see much of an improvement from an already great display when both are on the same adaptive, basic, cinema or photo settings. The Note 5 is brighter, but the Note 4 gets bright enough and mine is usually fixed at 40% brightness unless outside in the sun and just HAVE to see the display for some reason.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Either phone is fine to be honest only you can determine if you NEED the features on the newest phone.... well lack of some features in this case, but the S-pen FREAKING "clicks" and that is worth the premium.

The Note 5 does appear faster, but that is compared to a Note 4 that was running programs for a year and was not after a factory wipe. Also if the Note 4 will get you through the day then so should the 5. I have seen very similar results for both devices as far as battery.

I guess all in all the Note 4 is most definitely the better buy. If you have to have the latest then the Note 5 is worth it, but you already said that is not a requirement for you.

coolbreeze78

May 6, 2011
Visit site
I am still on the fence about returning the Note 5 and buying a Note 4 ($329 on eBay Daily Deals). If you are good with the cost of the 5, there isn't really anything wrong with it, but for it to be ~$650 more than a 4 is a debatable value (I rolled sales tax into this for a 64gig before you math-check me).

I'll probably just keep the 5, but the Note 4 is a fine phone. My main concern with the 4 is terrible battery life on LP and no confirmed support in sight (AT&T - locked down to hell). I'd hate to bail on the 5, get a 4 and it goes another 9 months (or forever?) on terrible 5.0.1. I firmly believe Samsung is going to desert the Note 4 in hopes people will get frustrated and shell out more money for the 5. That's how for-profit companies work.

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I dont have the Note 5 yet, but i did play with it in store for a while and i have owned the Note 4 so i would say unless you absolutely cant live without a removable battery and SD card go with the Note 5. The N5 is smoother, faster and easier to hold than the N4. Combine that with the better camera, updated fingerprint scanner and the ability for Samsung Pay the N5 is the better choice.

GregMargie

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I am skipping the Note 5....1) I have the Note 4 and maintaining 4.4.4, as I don't want Lollipop for now, 2) I completely Prefer the Removable Battery and SD card slot that was removed on the Note 5. If you do choose the Note 4, it will probably have Lollipop on it as I just upgraded my husband to N4 from a N2 and it did come with it, but we got it for $99 on upgrade (we are on old family share plan lines)

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The Note 5 and most devices are fast until Android uses trend history and has time to screw things up.

There is a reason why a new device, stock reset and new rom is faster and smoother. Android needs a month or two to screw things up.

Adawg1203

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
OP - you really need to weigh if price point is going to be the largest factor in your decision. If so, it's a no contest. You said no SD slot and non removable batt are things you can live with.

Making the switch from the N4 to the N5 was great, for me. I'd recommend the N5 to anyone in the same position as you, without question. The N5 is that solid of a device. Besides, I'm not someone who will buy a 2014 model when the 2015's are on the lot. Again, that's just how I am, personally.

You won't go wrong with either device but since your looking for opinions, then I'd say the Note 5. Good luck with your decision.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Based on recent Samsung updates the note 4 will get marshmallow, maybe note 3, eventually but Samsung goes backwards in order of release date so you'll be waiting awhile.

There is a chance note 4 will also get android nougat but probably not for 9 months until after its released.

I'd go with note 4 plus zero lemon 10,000 mAh battery case. Then install Qualcomm battery guru app, which is a proprietary app designed by Qualcomm to improve their battery life by 25%-50% and you got yourself 7 day battery life with 24 hours of screen on Time.

Let's see the note 5 touch that! ;)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner works really well on the 5. I couldn't get the 4 fingerprint scanner to work well. It also feels faster and has better camera.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Coney718

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
The Note 5 and most devices are fast until Android uses trend history and has time to screw things up.

There is a reason why a new device, stock reset and new rom is faster and smoother. Android needs a month or two to screw things up.

You have a point. My S6 and my wifes S5 worked great for the first few months. After that it was one issue after another.

karsdroid

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
i came from the note 4 and love the new s pen.....that's the biggest difference for me. i take notes all the time with the screen off. love it.