I can't turn off S Pen detection ? " Inserted S Pen backwards "

Hurani7

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I have made that mistake.
Now I want to keep using the pen.. so I want to turn off the detection, but I cant find that in the settings.
My phone says its has the latest update installed.
How can I solve this ?

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Did you pull it out and break it? Or is it still in there? If it is, you can still remove it without breaking it, just search youtube and the there are ways of doing by sliding a piece of paper or using a screen protector.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I have made that mistake.
Now I want to keep using the pen.. so I want to turn off the detection, but I cant find that in the settings.
My phone says its has the latest update installed.
How can I solve this ?

How did you manage to put it in backwards???

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
This was all over mobile news all week. There were literally 26 stories about this on various websites, each one telling people not to put their S Pen in backwards.

alt075

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I acidentally did it too. I even saw the story. We were moving and a friend wanted to see it. As I was holding the phone and the pen someone was giving directions on what was going on and I got distracted and well there you have it. I was so upset. I pulled it out and it broke. I'm happy to see this video posted. You never know. But while I know i'm to blame I really think samsung could have designed this better. It is a very expensive phone. And come on people are not perfect. We all have bad days where you are not thinking. My phone is getting replaced.

alt075

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Did you pull it out and break it? Or is it still in there? If it is, you can still remove it without breaking it, just search youtube and the there are ways of doing by sliding a piece of paper or using a screen protector.

I wish I had thought to look it up before pulling it out. Things happened so quickly today. Thanks for sharing this news.

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I acidentally did it too. I even saw the story. We were moving and a friend wanted to see it. As I was holding the phone and the pen someone was giving directions on what was going on and I got distracted and well there you have it. I was so upset. I pulled it out and it broke. I'm happy to see this video posted. You never know. But while I know i'm to blame I really think samsung could have designed this better. It is a very expensive phone. And come on people are not perfect. We all have bad days where you are not thinking. My phone is getting replaced.
Man that sucks
How are u getting it replaced? With what warranty?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5!

jimd1050

Champion
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
What I find really interesting is the Note 4 has detection AND the S-Pen has a small groove around the top that would be enough to catch that little actuator. YET, I've never seen a Post or article about it happening with the Note 4. I wonder if maybe, it has a different type of sensor without that little actuator? I have never inserted the one on my Note 4 backwards?

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
What I find really interesting is the Note 4 has detection AND the S-Pen has a small groove around the top that would be enough to catch that little actuator. YET, I've never seen a Post or article about it happening with the Note 4. I wonder if maybe, it has a different type of sensor without that little actuator? I have never inserted the one on my Note 4 backwards?

Yup, this wasn't an issue on the Note 4 because it has a different design and detection mechanism. Its design only allows the top end of the S-Pen to go in about a quarter of an inch before it stops and feels like an unnatural amount of force would be needed for it to go in any further (which makes it pretty obvious it's going in the wrong way). Even if it could go in backwards all the way, the Note 4 doesn't have the little plastic lever (see pics below) inside the silo like the Note 5 (the lever is used to detect the S-Pen). Instead the Note 4 has a sensor built into the outer top edge of the silo that detects a magnet on the top end of the S-Pen. This can be seen by hovering the top end of the S-Pen over the lower right of the phone (near the back button) which will trigger the attach/detach notification (phone also vibrates and plays a sound if these options are enabled under the S-Pen settings).

Note 4 (no plastic levers inside the S-Pen silo):
Note 4Spen.jpg
Note 5 (plastic lever inside S-Pen silo which gets broken off when pulling the S-Pen out after inserted backwards):
Note 5 Spen.PNG

H3aTeRzz

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
There is a Youtube video somebody posted where all you have to do is cut a slither of thin paper, about 1/4 " wide and about an inch longer than the SPEN. form the paper in the shape of your pen...then slide it up the inner shaft along side pen and pen wall. Once it reaches the small fish hook sensor, it will depress it...then pull the paper and pen out together.

EvilHomer3k

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
alt075,
You're not alone. I broke mine too. I was even dumber than you because I actually listened to the people who said you'd have to be a complete ***** to do it so I put it in knowingly because I was curious. It's very easy to do and you only have to go about halfway. There's almost no pressure pulling it out either. I wouldn't even say it was stuck there's so little pressure holding it in.

I tried customer service for Samsung and they told me to take it to Best Buy to test the pen. Then I told them the pen worked but wasn't being detected. They then told me I needed to contact Verizon. I couldn't understand much of what they said. I tried doing their live chat but they said I had to contact them by phone for it. I'm going to try to take it to Verizon but I bought it off of swappa (unactivated). I have no problem paying to have it fixed but Samsung's customer service doesn't seem to even want to talk about it. I'll probably have to wait until someone sells the parts on ebay.

alt075

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
alt075,
You're not alone. I broke mine too. I was even dumber than you because I actually listened to the people who said you'd have to be a complete ***** to do it so I put it in knowingly because I was curious. It's very easy to do and you only have to go about halfway. There's almost no pressure pulling it out either. I wouldn't even say it was stuck there's so little pressure holding it in.

I tried customer service for Samsung and they told me to take it to Best Buy to test the pen. Then I told them the pen worked but wasn't being detected. They then told me I needed to contact Verizon. I couldn't understand much of what they said. I tried doing their live chat but they said I had to contact them by phone for it. I'm going to try to take it to Verizon but I bought it off of swappa (unactivated). I have no problem paying to have it fixed but Samsung's customer service doesn't seem to even want to talk about it. I'll probably have to wait until someone sells the parts on ebay.

this guy got very lucky. He opened his phone to show how it broke. And actually got it to work again. Check it out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4Sz0vwG7UI

EvilHomer3k

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
It looks like some people have had luck putting the pen in backwards again and then using the straw trick to remove it. That didn't work for me but I did manage to get the pen stuck again. This time it was on the retention mechanism that is further up the silo. I eventually got it out without any damage but be careful if you try it. You could break the retention mechanism.

Has anyone been able to send their device to samsung for a fix? (either warranty covered or self-paid)

Tpledger1

Jan 28, 2016
Visit site
Has anyone been able to send their device to samsung for a fix? (either warranty covered or self-paid)

I sent mine to Samsung for this reason. It was covered under the 1 year warranty from Samsung. Took 2 days to ship to Samsung (they pay for UPS, you just provide the box and bubble wrap, UPS tapes it closed) Was fixed within 2 days and got shipped back to me 3 hours after it was fixed.
You can get an update of the entire repair process through Samsung website.

All they did was replace the S Pen detector and return it to me.

serpent2005

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I sent mine to Samsung for this reason. It was covered under the 1 year warranty from Samsung. Took 2 days to ship to Samsung (they pay for UPS, you just provide the box and bubble wrap, UPS tapes it closed) Was fixed within 2 days and got shipped back to me 3 hours after it was fixed.
You can get an update of the entire repair process through Samsung website.

All they did was replace the S Pen detector and return it to me.
That's very fast turn-around time. Mine took 14 days.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci