phone calls mic issue

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I had my phone in the case and not using my bluetooth. I was talking to someone and they said they could hardly hear me. I had to talk very loud for then to hear me. Now today I had to call someone so I decided to take the case off and try it. Same issue. I could hear them, but they had a hard time hearing me. I cleaned the mic port and still no joy. This was not an issue on my note 3.

Anyone else having this issue?

Posted via the Android Central App

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
I had my phone in the case and not using my bluetooth. I was talking to someone and they said they could hardly hear me. I had to talk very loud for then to hear me. Now today I had to call someone so I decided to take the case off and try it. Same issue. I could hear them, but they had a hard time hearing me. I cleaned the mic port and still no joy. This was not an issue on my note 3.

Anyone else having this issue?

Apparently this was kind of a common issue with the Note 4,I had mines for 10 months an I barely found out my note 4 mic had issues when I was calling t-mobile to ask about the note 5 availability, I don't use my phone to talk a lot on,but the only way people could hear me was on speaker, or with a headset

I was still under warranty and this Monday my replacement is coming in, when I looked up the issues online there was a good amount of threads dedicate to this topic, hopefully it doesn't become a common issued with the note 5.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
No issues with mine. Your post is not real clear but it seems you're not having issues while using Bluetooth for calls. Have you tried calls over speakerphone to see if low mic volume exists there as well? That may rule out some odd software issue and point more towards hardware failure with the mic. In which case a return/exchange would be in order.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
With the Note 4, the mic was in a different place on the phone than it was with the other carriers. Some of the cases weren't cut out properly for the Verizon variation, and had this problem. You might make sure your case isn't covering up the mic.

ELAkid

Jun 17, 2015
Visit site
With the Note 4, the mic was in a different place on the phone than it was with the other carriers. Some of the cases weren't cut out properly for the Verizon variation, and had this problem. You might make sure your case isn't covering up the mic.

Yeah you're correct, my note 4 was doing it even without the case,the OP is have an issue with his note 5 mic and he said he even too the case off,being this new a device I wouldn't take it back if I can't figure it out .

ccpopham

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
Only on the normal phone call. Not bluetooth and if on speakerphone haven't noticed it yet, but haven't used speakerphone much either.

nutt_case

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Hate to revive a dead thread but I have had the same issue with not one, but two ATT note 5's. First one worked great for about 3 days then people started telling me i sounded far away and distorted. Over the course of another day or so the phone went completely deaf, not just calls either, no audio input at all. Headset or Bluetooth worked fine. Took it back to the store and they swapped it for another. Same EXACT thing! worked great for a few days then went deaf again. Multiple factory resets and audio tweaking apps seem to confirm its a hardware issue on both devices so I'm thinking maybe a bad batch of phones cause what are the chances of two in a row!! In an attempt to not get another from the same batch I'm going to warranty this one out over the phone and get one sent to me.

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had the same exact problem as OP and there's a long RF (radio frequency) thread that I posted last month.

It appears as if there's an issue with the phone not being able to pick up a strong enough RF signal, especially in Volte, that's HD Calling.

I could hear them but they could not hear me.

Look for the thread that I posted and read it and tell me if that's what you're experiencing.

In the meantime, turn off your Volte and run your phone on LTE CDMA network.

nutt_case

Apr 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually found that thread when the first phone had issues, but thanks, unfortunately mine was truly a dead microphone. A trip to the ATT DSC today confirmed same hardware issue with the second phone. There sending me another replacement so I'll be on #3.

Hopefully third times the charm!

woodynorman

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
I just received my replacement note 5 from Verizon. My last one had the same issue, with hd calling on or not. It would work ok when I held the phone just right, but if I moved it even an inch from my face, my voice would fade away. I haven't made any calls with the new phone...I hope it's better

Sent from my SM-N920V using Android Central

dougdraws

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I was having a similar problem with my Note 5 (with AT&T). A couple of times people couldn't hear me, but I could hear them. Also a couple dropped calls. I called AT&T tech support and the gal said she would turn off the HD voice feature and that fixed the problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles